Why become a member? ×

On 19/12/2021 at 09:38, dmckee said:

SO, I spoke with Andertons and they offered to weigh the 3 surf green Fallouts they have in the warehouse. All 9.2lbs. Still not light by any means, but….. have ordered one anyway! Arrives tomorrow. 😃

I do wish shops would quote the weight of the basses in their adverts.  It would save a lot of time when trying to find a nice lightweight bass

Edited by LeftyP
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I do wish shops would quote he weight of the basses in their adverts.  It would save a lot of time when trying to fins a nice lightweight bass

Especially for short-scale basses.  Weight is often a major reason for choosing s-s but some are relatively heavy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Especially for short-scale basses.  Weight is often a major reason for choosing s-s but some are relatively heavy.

Very true and two basses of the same model can exhibit significant variance - I have a couple of short-scale Spectors (almost exactly the same spec apart from pickups/ciruit) and there's a difference in weight of more than a pound

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, three said:

Very true and two basses of the same model can exhibit significant variance - I have a couple of short-scale Spectors (almost exactly the same spec apart from pickups/ciruit) and there's a difference in weight of more than a pound

Absolutely.  I have room in my life for a 70s Fender Mustang in black with a maple board.  Moslty I have read this combination work out to be extremely heavy at nearly 10 lbs but I saw one on reverb for sale in the USA that was under 7lbs.  Weird.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

This'un weighs a ton! It's huge and lives in a hardcase, so sometimes it's easier to take the smaller, lighter EB-0 in its gigbag. Absolutely love it though!

It deserves a fresh photo as it now has a Dimarzio Model One, without the choke, and a series/parallel switch in its place. If I could have a signature bass, it might very well be this, permanently parallel and with just a volume control. And lightweight tuners!

20211221_132504.thumb.jpg.ec931c87e4111b11061b596408f6ae12.jpg

I’m amazed that is heavier than the EB0! My EB0 was pretty hefty. You would expect a semi to be lighter. Nice bass though but weight would definitely be an issue for me. I think it might have just gone off my GAS list.

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

This'un weighs a ton! It's huge and lives in a hardcase, so sometimes it's easier to take the smaller, lighter EB-0 in its gigbag. Absolutely love it though!

It deserves a fresh photo as it now has a Dimarzio Model One, without the choke, and a series/parallel switch in its place. If I could have a signature bass, it might very well be this, permanently parallel and with just a volume control. And lightweight tuners!

20211221_132504.thumb.jpg.ec931c87e4111b11061b596408f6ae12.jpg

Great bass what year?

Hi Jus Lukin ,

I have a 1997 Rivoli that weighs a ton , made in the Peerless factory , same pickup , coils in parallel but with the choke and different capacitors  . Can I ask what height the pickup is - the gap between the top of the poles to the bottom of the G and E strings when held down at the last fret .

I have found a great difference in Tone and volume by having the pickup near / far away from strings .

I`m working on a bass cut control pot , to try and "tame" the series boom at the moment .

Pete

Edited by petetexas

Just put my 1997 Rivoli ( no scratchplate ) on the bathroom scales............9lb 13oz !

I`ve gigged it a few times , does not seem too heavy !

Gap of pickup poles to bottom of strings E and G held down at last fret .........E = 5mm.....G = 4mm

Pete

Edited by petetexas

On 18/12/2021 at 07:56, dmckee said:

I too have G&L Fallout GAS.  I wrote to Andertons to ask about weight of the surf green one they have for £349 new just now (which is a crazy good deal) but they said it was 10.2lbs!! That’s too heavy for ANY bass, never mind a short scale IMO. I’ve had a few great G&Ls over the years, but their Tributes often seen to be inordinately heavy. Shame. has anyone ever found a light-ish one? 

That must be the one I’ve just ordered!

Did you get your lighter one for £349 too?

12 hours ago, Ramirez said:

That must be the one I’ve just ordered!

Did you get your lighter one for £349 too?

Well, when they did weight them, they told me they all weighed 9.2lbs. Mine arrived yesterday. Not weighed it yet, but that seems about right. Enjoying it so far - it’s been a while since I had a short scale so enjoying the slight weirdness! Waiting on some flats arriving and have ordered Ultralites to reduce weight a bit and hopefully sort the mild neck dive. Here it is, next to a couple of its big brothers. 😃

CB430B80-672A-4BE2-A4CE-53F54E3A3F5D.jpeg

• Like 3