Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, Sardonicus said:

I have the chance to get hold of a generic EB-0 copy and I wanted to ask what strings would people recommend?  Who makes decent short scale strings that won't break the bank and also, for an EB-0, roundwounds or flatwounds?

I rate D’Addario short scale strings and the round wounds aren’t too expensive. I would avoid Rotosound short scale strings: they seem to have intonation issues, unlike their 34” which are great IMO. For the EB-0, flats would be in keeping with the general vibe of the instrument but they won’t improve the mudiness of that pickup. TBH roundwounds aren’t really going to fix the mudiness  that much. You could replace the pickup with a DiMarzio DP 145, if you can find one, which is surprisingly crisp even in that neck position (I have one in one of my basses).

Edited by Obrienp
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have put a DiMarzio Model One on my 1997 Rivoli .

Coils in series , far too "boomy" , but wired in parallel , it is a bit lower output , and has more clarity .

I also removed the .02 capacitor from the from the choke , and replaced it with a .100 , and replaced the tone cap ( dont know what it was ) with a .047 .

Now that is some improvemet , more to my taste . I use D`Addario Nickel Wound 50 70 85 105 (EXL160S)

Sounds great in a Stones Tribute Band .

Pete

Edited by petetexas
Added string type
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Hi, I have put a DiMarzio Model One on my 1997 Rivoli .

Coils in series , far too "boomy" , but wired in parallel , it is a bit lower output , and has more clarity .

The DP 145 is a more modern take on the Model One designed in conjunction with Billy Sheehan and less boomy/muddy but I see it has been discontinued. It is worth looking for any remaining stock IMO. It also has 4 leads, so you can play with parallel/series wiring and/or coil tapping.

Not to say that the Model One isn’t a great pickup and certainly better than the stock Epiphone mudbucker but that kind of sound was good enough for Jack Bruce and many others back in the day…..

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Is there anyone here with a G and L Fallout tribute bass? If so is the body contoured?

I love my Mustang bass but everytime I sit down to play it I have to wear a wristband because of the slab body

Looks like it’s contoured front and back (forearm & belly).

8 hours ago, Lesfunk said:

My Sire U5 arrived from the UK and it’s a cracking little number . (I think that’s how you brits say it..)

279CF9B2-C1A2-4C95-B70F-7D37E190868F.jpeg

That looks really nice - or should I say "real neat"? 😉

Any chance of a pic showing the edge of the body where the forearm rests?

The Jaguar Short Scale has been discontinued and replaced by Affinity and Vintage Modern versions with a 32" scale length.

I can't help feeling that the Jag SS was a misstep by Fender, being far too good a bass for its price point; there can't be many Squier basses that fetch two to hree times their original asking price three years after purchase!

• Like 3

I regret selling my Jaguar SS. I thought it looked good in black and chrome too. I agree it did suffer from neck dive but a grippy strap goes some way to stopping that. I put a matched set of DiMarzios in it and it sounded great, especially taking advantage of the wiring options that the 4 leads offered. TBH the original pickups weren’t bad but there was a big difference in volume between the P and the J.

13 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Pleased to see this.  I nearly bought one off fleabay till I noticed the positioning of the top strap button.  Can't do with neck dive.

Glad to have helped. They may not all be the same, but my Mustang PJ had it too,  just about mitigated by the lightweight Gotoh tuners I swapped in.

56 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Pleased to see this.  I nearly bought one off fleabay till I noticed the positioning of the top strap button.  Can't do with neck dive.

Just to fuel GAS... I have one of the first batch of short scale Jags. Just levels out on a strap. With something grippier it would be fine.

4 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I regret selling my Jaguar SS. I thought it looked good in black and chrome too. I agree it did suffer from neck dive but a grippy strap goes some way to stopping that. I put a matched set of DiMarzios in it and it sounded great, especially taking advantage of the wiring options that the 4 leads offered. TBH the original pickups weren’t bad but there was a big difference in volume between the P and the J.

I've never bothered by neck dive, on any bass...

I fitted neodymium magnets to the Jazz pup. 👹

I just recently finished modding this 30" Schecter Banshee and I am really happy with how it turned out. I basically only ended up using the neck and body but they were both great quality and nice and light. It is very balanced and still light after completing it.

Mods:

Schaller tuners

Hipshot B style brass bridge (chrome) w string through option

Aguilar 4P-60 pickup

Noble 250k pots with cloth wire  &  Sprague .1uf cap.

Copper shielded all cavities

Luminlay side dots

Schaller strap locks

Ernie Ball string retainer

Custom Maple pickguard & Rosewood control plate

Custom wood knobs   Maple/Rosewood

LaBella Deep Talkin Flats short scale strings

20211206_092249.jpg

20211202_154357.jpg

20211202_160325.jpg

20211202_160255.jpg

20211202_154254.jpg