Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Cheers guys. I know gig bags/cases are hard to find for short scales. I have a Hiscox hardcase and a TGI Extreme gigbag - I'm guessing neither one would work for SS? 

Fender FBSS-610 Short Scale Bass Gig Bag ...

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-fbss-610-short-scale-bass-gig-bag/921347?

On 21/11/2021 at 16:10, Supernaut said:

Cheers guys. I know gig bags/cases are hard to find for short scales. I have a Hiscox hardcase and a TGI Extreme gigbag - I'm guessing neither one would work for SS? 

Some, if not even most, short scale basses will fit perfectly fine into some guitar gig bags/cases (as far as guitar gig bag goes I think most would do for most short scale basses. But that does require that you know the exact dimensions of respectively the bass and bag in question, before you buy).

Also sorry about the spam, I kind of found these posts after I already posted the other replies.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-mustang-musicmaster-bronco-bass-multi-fit-case/80018

Mind you, a bit overpriced at £200!!!!!

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Does anyone gig regularly with a short scale? How does it compare to a 34"? 

Yes. The main thing I notice is much less fatigue in my left hand, arm, shoulder and back. Sound wise I really can’t tell much difference between my custom shortie (P/J) and the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass I used to gig. I doubt the audience notice any difference, unless I am using my Ibanez EHB1000S, which being headless and sea foam green, does look a bit unusual.

It is quite difficult to get bags and cases purpose made for shorties but as somebody else said, some shorties will fit into guitar cases and bags (e.g. the Ibanez EHB1000S). Fender do quite a good short scale gig bag for not much cash.

Generally speaking I have found the move to shorties positive. Typically they are easier to play and generally less strain, although I understand the Reverend Watt Plower is really heavy.

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

There are a few SS case bag threads, but this one has a few options within.

5 hours ago, martthebass said:

Erm, it’s shorter.

I gig all the time with a shortie, easier to get around the board, I just put a gauge up on the strings to tighten things up to more comparable to my long scales. Sound wise, I actually prefer my jmj Mustang to previous Fender Jazz/P basses I’ve gigged in the past.

This!  Re bags and cases, there's a good choice out there if you look around.  In addition to the OE cases I got with Spector, Atelier and Maruszczyk s-s basses, I've also got a Fender s-s bass gig bag and a hard case Gator make for the Fender Jaguar guitar.  As for the wonderful JMJ Mustang, I'd have one by now if it had the number of frets and wide-ranging sounds I need.

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I ended up taking the DIY option. The lining was a dog blanket 🙂

image.png.449a9958bac9fcb347f4486f1d5ad10a.png

Red setter? No? It’s alright, I get my own coat.

55 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

As for the wonderful JMJ Mustang, I'd have one by now if it had the number of frets and wide-ranging sounds I need.

One more fret would be ideal for me.

On 23/11/2021 at 12:27, Supernaut said:

Any experiences of the Sire MM U5? 

These look interesting.  From the pictures, my only hesitation would be the apparent lack of chamfering in the area where the forearm rests.  Personally I don't like the feel of sharp edges.

• Like 3

On 24/11/2021 at 15:21, scrumpymike said:

These look interesting.  From the pictures, my only hesitation would be the apparent lack of chamfering in the area where the forearm rests.  Personally I don't like the feel of sharp edges.

I had one very briefly and it was a solid bass but I ended up returning it as I just did not gel with it.

For me there were a number of minor issues that irked me once the new bass glow had worn off

*Although it sounded fairly good, there was a brittleness to the highs that I just could not dial out

*20mm spacing, only slightly wider than 19mm but enough to be noticeable

*A couple of areas QC wise that were they had dropped the ball a bit

*Uninspiring to play, it was mostly solidly built but it just felt a bit "Meh"

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2021 at 12:41, shoulderpet said:

Just done some upgrades on my Mustang bass, new pickguard courtesy of Gig.ink @TimAl and Duncan Quarter pounder P pickup

IMG_20211124_175735453_HDR~3.jpg

Ok so had a chance to try the Duncans at rehearsal and they sounded good but I did find I struggled to hear myself a little, I don't think the Prosteels helped, I have some Entwistle pbxn on order so hopefully they will be the ticket and enable me to cut through

Edited by shoulderpet

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 07:27, Supernaut said:

Any experiences of the Sire MM U5? 

I’m eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Sire U5 this week. They are about of stock everywhere in the USA but Andertons had stock, so I ordered one from the UK.

I’ll be happy to share my findings once it arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sardonicus said:

I have the chance to get hold of a generic EB-0 copy and I wanted to ask what strings would people recommend?  Who makes decent short scale strings that won't break the bank and also, for an EB-0, roundwounds or flatwounds?

Newtone Strings, they will make up you up whatever you want and their prices are very reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1