Why become a member? ×

39 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

NBD - JMJ Mustang arrived this morning. Unfortunately, pesky work is going to get in the way of me playing it until later.

0010181A-A282-4F6E-80F3-93998748A629.jpeg

It’ll be worth the wait, I can’t get over how much I like mine, the neck and pickup on the JMJ are a delight.

Once again, I’m toying with adding a ‘51 type as a bridge pickup, but not sure it’ll really add anything in a live mix. Also considering replacing the neck plate with one that’ll allow me to shave the corner off of the rear of the neck pocket for improved upper fret access. 

• Like 1

Got myself another Squier Vista Musicmaster in black the other day, to keep the recently acquired shell pink one company.

Pink is strung with Labella black tapewounds, and the black has Daddario Chromes....

Need to some shielding work on both, when I get the time, as they are wee bit noisy, and the black one needs a new tone pot....

But for the money I think they're great little basses these 🙂

20211029_210059 (2).jpg

Edited by nick
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

I have a white Vista which was my first bass sitting at my parents house being used sparingly by my dad for recording. 

Maybe I should go and collect it and see if it will scratch my itch for a P Bass 

Why not, you may be as pleasantly surprised with the Vista as I was 🙂

Edited by nick

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Once again, I’m toying with adding a ‘51 type as a bridge pickup, but not sure it’ll really add anything in a live mix. Also considering replacing the neck plate with one that’ll allow me to shave the corner off of the rear of the neck pocket for improved upper fret access. 

Yes, I know, quoting yourself if very much not 'the thing' but I have an update:

Today I made a simple 6/8 blues, backing track with drums (props to the Beat Buddy pedal, which recorded marvellously), 3 layers of guitar and then added all of my basses, including 3 takes of the J type to encompass all the main pickup positions. Does the Mustang need another pickup? No, not unless I'm bothered about really ringing 4th/9th fret harmonics. It held its own in the mix and was more pleasing than the neck or mix settings on the J type (they were nice enough, but uninspiring by comparison to all the other basses/settings). Where I think the Mustang really won out was on the D & G strings, where the tone was nice, rounded and balanced, opposed to snarling and jumping out tone heard with the J type bridge position soloed or the MM type. A very enlightening exercise, which seems to add more credence to the 'P basses are perfect in a mix' standpoint, at least to my ears. Before anyone asks, no, I will not be posting sound clips, as it was way too rough & ready and would be a tad embarrassing.

However, the fitting of a new neck plate and subsequent heel reshaping still remains an option.

16 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Having spent an hour having a brief noodle I’m over the moon. The neck is far more ‘me’ than the profile of the PJ Mustangs. Just feels like a cropped down Precision neck. Very pleased indeed!

So you scratched that itch 😉
I’m glad it’s living up to expectations. I’m enjoying theMustang PJ I bought off you last week, so double result! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

NBD - JMJ Mustang arrived this morning. Unfortunately, pesky work is going to get in the way of me playing it until later.

0010181A-A282-4F6E-80F3-93998748A629.jpeg

Looks absolutely spot on!

I played one about 6 months ago now and I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger for it to sit alongside my Chowny - just need to offload a couple of guitars first to appease Mrs A - but equally conscious stock of the JMJ is low everywhere!  Think PMT had one left in black recently, but where did you get yours from?

• Like 1

Just now, Anatonic said:

Looks absolutely spot on!

I played one about 6 months ago now and I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger for it to sit alongside my Chowny - just need to offload a couple of guitars first to appease Mrs A - but equally conscious stock of the JMJ is low everywhere!  Think PMT had one left in black recently, but where did you get yours from?

Yeah, most domestic suppliers have them on back order, as so many guitars and basses are at the moment. I got mine from Thomann. 5/6 days from order to delivery and ordering back to being really easy from there now they’ve  got their ducks lined up on the Brexit stuff. £969 delivered. None in stock in the UK for close to that price from what I found.

That’s awesome! I’ve ordered from Thomann previously for some PA equip but always thought I was going to get stung post-brexit with other fees / taxes…

You’ve now caused me no end of bother as I lose my day to the Thomann website… 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Has anyone out there got an Ibanez EHB1000S-S?  I need to know the weight.

Yes. I just weighed mine with one of those baggage scale things: 5.5 lbs. I have changed the standard Bartolinis for Aguilar pickups, which were not as deep, so that might have had a marginal impact on the weight.

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

Yes. I just weighed mine with one of those baggage scale things: 5.5 lbs. I have changed the standard Bartolinis for Aguilar pickups, which were not as deep, so that might have had a marginal impact on the weight.

Thanks for that - 5.5lbs would be nice but sounds impossibly light.  I know those luggage scales are usually not so accurate at the bottom end of the scale.  Fordbass PM'd me that his is 8lbs according to bathroom scales so I'm guessing the actual weight is somewhere in between.

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks for that - 5.5lbs would be nice but sounds impossibly light.  I know those luggage scales are usually not so accurate at the bottom end of the scale.  Fordbass PM'd me that his is 8lbs according to bathroom scales so I'm guessing the actual weight is somewhere in between.

Yeah. It does sound too good to be true. I just tried it on the bathroom scales and they say 3 kg (6.6 lbs), so it must be in the region of 7 lbs, give or take. It does feel like picking up an acoustic in comparison to my other basses. The chambered body must be helping a lot with the weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Yeah. It does sound too good to be true. I just tried it on the bathroom scales and they say 3 kg (6.6 lbs), so it must be in the region of 7 lbs, give or take. It does feel like picking up an acoustic in comparison to my other basses. The chambered body must be helping a lot with the weight.

For reference, my 1505ms is 7.2lb, which obviously has another ¼ width of a neck and another tuner, so presumably slightly heavier

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up. I see a Reverend Sentinel SS for sale on ebay starting at £500. I have it in the same colour strung with SIT Power Wounds. That is my go to bass these days - it plays and sounds fantastic! RRP has jumped a bit recently, so might be a decent bargain for someone here.

20210729_210653.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1