Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Tried an Epiphone EB0 yesterday.  Good sound and looked good for a £218 bass, but felt 'toy like' in a way that the Jaguar doesn't.

I used an EB0 in a classic rock band for a while, yes it was a bit toy like but it sounded ok. The neck dive did me in after a while though. Happier with Mustangs.

47 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I thought it might be tiger wood. Did you use sesame oil?

Do they put sesame seeds in baby oil?!

Jim Dunlop lemon oil, applied in an incredibly lack-lustre fashion, rubbed in with all the enthusiasm of a teenager doing chores.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:
56 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I thought it might be tiger wood. Did you use sesame oil?

Do they put sesame seeds in baby oil?!

It's just that they use sesame oil to make tiger bread stripey 🙂

I think you need to revisit the 7th fret, as a minimum 🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Tried an Epiphone EB0 yesterday.  Good sound and looked good for a £218 bass, but felt 'toy like' in a way that the Jaguar doesn't.

I had one about 12 years ago and my lasting memory of it, apart from the mudbucker, was the weight for something that looked quite dinky. I think mine was genuine mahogany, or at least sapele. I imagine they have moved to basswood, or similar now, so possibly lighter. Neck dive was a big feature too. Not saying this makes it a bad bass per se but I did eventually sell it and get a Squire Jaguar SS, which I found more versatile but also a neck diver. Upgrading the Jaguar was a lot cheaper pickup and bridge wise though.

• Like 1

Just took the pup out of my 1997 Rivoli bass to put a bit more packing underneath to raise it up a bit , stamped into the brass plate at the underside of the pup is JAPAN , so either the pup was made in Japan or the brass plate was !

This may be the reason the pup sounds so good ( being made in Japan ) , also now I have the wiring all working - no crackles , button working for the choke etc , be it only a slight difference in sound .

Not being a fan of the size or positioning of Fender thumb rest or tug bar, especially on a Mustang, I knocked up a quick, reversible mod, thumb rest. I was so pleased with it, I even stained and sealed it.

C02393AC-F968-4F98-B08A-5FCC17C28463.jpeg

• Like 7

I have one of these on the way from Tides guitars (TTTides officially), but it'll take a year to be finished. It's going to be 30" scale, pickups will be single coil in thunderbird housing and moved closer to the neck, with a series/parallel switch, and will either be a wood body or composite wood. It will be neck through. Can't wait!

image.png.150f17e594b21cf06504cd3175afc899.png

This is what the pickup positioning should look like.

image.png.c73bc40b87d1254e50254c5532d92d00.png

Edited by barrycreed
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Not being a fan of the size or positioning of Fender thumb rest or tug bar, especially on a Mustang, I knocked up a quick, reversible mod, thumb rest. I was so pleased with it, I even stained and sealed it.

C02393AC-F968-4F98-B08A-5FCC17C28463.jpeg

Good work, private.

I just took the thumb rest off mine all together! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, barrycreed said:

I have one of these on the way from Tides guitars (TTTides officially), but it'll take a year to be finished. It's going to be 30" scale, pickups will be single coil in thunderbird housing and moved closer to the neck, with a series/parallel switch, and will either be a wood body or composite wood. It will be neck through. Can't wait!

image.png.150f17e594b21cf06504cd3175afc899.png

This is what the pickup positioning should look like.

image.png.c73bc40b87d1254e50254c5532d92d00.png

Tasty, I've always loved the design of the Travis Beans 

Just got my Epi EB0 back from luthier. I got a brass nut, a retrovibe humbucker and the little extension bar behind the bridge (a cheap improvement on stock).

Wow. The sustain is fantastic. Notes ring out for ages. Very happy with the upgrades and can’t wait to try it through a proper bass amp.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Just got my Epi EB0 back from luthier. I got a brass nut, a retrovibe humbucker and the little extension bar behind the bridge (a cheap improvement on stock).

Wow. The sustain is fantastic. Notes ring out for ages. Very happy with the upgrades and can’t wait to try it through a proper bass amp.

Giz a pic! 🙂