Why become a member? ×

Anybody tried one of the new Ibanez EHB1000S basses? The spec seems really good and you get a lot of nice fixings: strap locks, locking jack socket, etc and a gig bag. Only drawback as far as I am concerned is the my little pony colours. However, the real proof is in the playing. Anybody got one/tried one? What do you think?

I have some upgrades waiting to go on a Squier Bronco bass. I don't have new tuners or a nut. Worth looking at these? If so what could I replace tuners with? Seeing as I have a new bridge, wiring, pickup, and pickguard, and I will have to replace the stock strings too. I may as well go the whole hog...

23 hours ago, barrycreed said:

I have some upgrades waiting to go on a Squier Bronco bass. I don't have new tuners or a nut. Worth looking at these? If so what could I replace tuners with? Seeing as I have a new bridge, wiring, pickup, and pickguard, and I will have to replace the stock strings too. I may as well go the whole hog...

Hi,

if you are interested in changing the machine heads, which I think is a worthwhile mod, see the Advice  on Changing Squire Bronco Machine Heads thread (sorry I can’t work out how to paste a link). WD Music do some tuners that look as though they will drop in without changing the post holes or screw positions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

@Obrienp Thanks ! These look like a good fit but the same thread also mentioned regular Squier P or J machine heads.

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/bass-tuners-c33/wd-music-enclosed-4-in-line-bass-tuners-chrome-p4987

Yes, there were quite a few suggestions on there. I was surprised at the Squier P or J suggestion not requiring some woodwork. I would have thought the post diameter would be bigger, even if they can use the same screw holes. I opted for Northwest Guitars lightweight tuners which didn’t fit any of the screw holes and the post holes needed to be enlarged to 14mm. I used toothpicks to fill in the redundant screw holes and it doesn’t look too bad from a distance. Look close though and they are quite visible.

12 hours ago, barrycreed said:

@ObrienpI am hoping to avoid any work to be done, drop in tuners if at all possible. I am in Spain, so don't want to get anything lost in translation when I take it to a luthier, though I would imagine they will know what they are doing anyhow...

Yes, understood. I am certainly not recommending the Northwest Guitars tuners over the ones from WD.  If I had known about the ones from WD beforehand, I would have gone for them. Much easier to be able to go for the drop in tuners, as long as they are genuinely better than the stock items. Unfortunately, nobody has reviewed them on this forum, so they are a bit of an unknown.

On 31/07/2021 at 00:51, Obrienp said:

Yes, understood. I am certainly not recommending the Northwest Guitars tuners over the ones from WD.  If I had known about the ones from WD beforehand, I would have gone for them. Much easier to be able to go for the drop in tuners, as long as they are genuinely better than the stock items. Unfortunately, nobody has reviewed them on this forum, so they are a bit of an unknown.

I did come across another mod video which suggested some Kiesel ones, so might go for those.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

I did come across another mod video which suggested some Kiesel ones, so might go for those.

I had never heard of those. I had a quick squint at the website. I can’t see any that look like a direct replacement but maybe there is old stock around? All the dimensions seem to be in inches, so I am not sure if they will fit without modification. The standard Bronco peg holes are 12mm. All the Kiesels seem to be 9/16”, which I think is just over 14mm, so you will have to enlarge the peg holes. Also you are going to have 4 redundant screw holes per machine head, as the Kiesels just seem to have screw in bushes, although they may have a pin, or tang to stop them twisting.

I am not saying it is a bad idea but there will be some modification and cosmetic tidy up to do. I found cocktail sticks pretty effective for filling the screw holes but you can see them close up.

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

I had never heard of those. I had a quick squint at the website. I can’t see any that look like a direct replacement but maybe there is old stock around? All the dimensions seem to be in inches, so I am not sure if they will fit without modification. The standard Bronco peg holes are 12mm. All the Kiesels seem to be 9/16”, which I think is just over 14mm, so you will have to enlarge the peg holes. Also you are going to have 4 redundant screw holes per machine head, as the Kiesels just seem to have screw in bushes, although they may have a pin, or tang to stop them twisting.

I am not saying it is a bad idea but there will be some modification and cosmetic tidy up to do. I found cocktail sticks pretty effective for filling the screw holes but you can see them close up.

Sorry, I should have included the link here at the marked 7:40 .

The Low End Lobster Video has now put me off contuing the mod idea. He just slated it, but I suppose I should go on what I like.....

• Like 1