Why become a member? ×

18 minutes ago, Rumple said:

Arrived about an hour ago.

image.thumb.png.1a702a688d5319e356ce6bf7b40189b2.png

Like the colour of that (although I have a personal aversion to tort) and those SX basses seem to get really good reviews considering their inexpensive price. What are you r initial impressions? 

6 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Like the colour of that (although I have a personal aversion to tort) and those SX basses seem to get really good reviews considering their inexpensive price. What are you r initial impressions? 

I don't usual like blue basses and had a notion to strip it and see what's underneath but it's a good looking instrument, The tort isn't bad, it doesn't look like salami thank goodness, it still had the protective film on!

Had a very quick play and it has a bit of a rattle on the G string that needs sorting, also I'm guessing the strings are steel and sound quite brittle so they will have go in favour or some Chromes or very old dead nickel round wounds I think, So far I'm liking it 🙂

• Thanks 1

I’ve been reunited with my custom Maruszczyks for the last 2 weeks, so now I have them, my Rob Allen MB2 and JMJ Mustang altogether with my Phil Jones rig. And which of them do I like and play the most (at least at the moment)? The little, scruffy, blue tart! I absolutely prefer it to my custom builds (the MB2 is a very different beast and doesn’t really bear comparison). Put through my Sadowsky preamp pedal and MXR compressor, plus a little roll back of the low mids on the amp and it’s just tone to die for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’ve been reunited with my custom Maruszczyks for the last 2 weeks, so now I have them, my Rob Allen MB2 and JMJ Mustang altogether with my Phil Jones rig. And which of them do I like and play the most (at least at the moment)? The little, scruffy, blue tart! I absolutely prefer it to my custom builds (the MB2 is a very different beast and doesn’t really bear comparison). Put through my Sadowsky preamp pedal and MXR compressor, plus a little roll back of the low mids on the amp and it’s just tone to die for. 

Same with me, the bass always on a stand in the corner is the JMJ. I only bought it as a back up.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Osiris said:

I had the exact same bass. The tort pickguard is naff, looks bad up close, ok at best from a distance. The electrics on mine were poor, if I moved the jack (moving around) it would cut out. Pickup is ok, tuners (smaller than standard) are ok when new, but in time will need replacing.

The gloss neck is fabulous, the amber tint looks really good, plays and feels real nice. Think it has a 38mm nut, very slim neck. The metallic blue paint is nice, looks good. Has a bit of weight, and balances ok. Bridge was ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I had the exact same bass. The tort pickguard is naff, looks bad up close, ok at best from a distance. The electrics on mine were poor, if I moved the jack (moving around) it would cut out. Pickup is ok, tuners (smaller than standard) are ok when new, but in time will need replacing.

The gloss neck is fabulous, the amber tint looks really good, plays and feels real nice. Think it has a 38mm nut, very slim neck. The metallic blue paint is nice, looks good. Has a bit of weight, and balances ok. Bridge was ok.

I think I'll have to do a little work to the fret ends as well, they are a tad rough but for £100 delivered I think it's a great starting point for a project and with a few upgrades will make a fab little bass.

Edited by Rumple
Typo

18 hours ago, Osiris said:

Awesome, had the full scale version (blasphemy on here)

Great basses

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rumple said:

I think I'll have to do a little work to the fret ends as well, they are a tad rough but for £100 delivered I think it's a great starting point for a project and with a few upgrades will make a fab little bass.

The fret ends on mine were good. No sharp edges. Drop in some Wilkinson hardware, Wilkinson alnico or Toneriders pickups, and good electrics (i.e Ki0gon) and it'll be a very decent shortie for little outlay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The fret ends on mine were good. No sharp edges. Drop in some Wilkinson hardware, Wilkinson alnico or Toneriders pickups, and good electrics (i.e Ki0gon) and it'll be a very decent shortie for little outlay.

I'm gonna dig my SX medium scale out of storage and possibly nick some parts from that, I think I put Hipshot lightweight tuners on it and a ceramic pick-up 🤔

22 hours ago, Rumple said:

I'm gonna dig my SX medium scale out of storage and possibly nick some parts from that, I think I put Hipshot lightweight tuners on it and a ceramic pick-up 🤔

Dug it out the SX Gypsy Rose, played it,  it's bloody great so I'm keeping it as it is 🙂 so I'll have to think again re upgrading the shorty.

Edited by Rumple
typo

2 hours ago, jay-syncro said:

I had my first gig in 15 months at the weekend and decided to use my short scale Atelier Z. It was a blast! 

Not played one but by all accounts these are great basses (yours looks very nice too). I almost went for one FS on here  while back - s-s but a different model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

Nordstrand - Acinonyx     I quite like the body but not the headstock design.

image.png.c8e8fa2b092bb58ebda67257ee48f6c6.png

Yep, that headstock is grim. I’m also not keen on the push button concept. However, there seem to be plenty of other folk who like it.

• Like 1

However much I fancy the Acinonyx… that headstock is a deal-breaker. Not sure about the push button thing… I know I’d get my fave tone in the first session and wouldn’t use them again… what a waste of buttons…

• Like 1