Why become a member? ×

Hello, looking for a case for my old ‘73 EB-0, anybody on here have an Epiphone SG bass case, they look like good value for the money, but I can’t find any measurements to check for fit. If anyone has one, could they measure the internal length for me or better still have any EB-0 users any recommendations, thanks, Mike.

1 hour ago, wrinkleygit said:

Hello, looking for a case for my old ‘73 EB-0, anybody on here have an Epiphone SG bass case, they look like good value for the money, but I can’t find any measurements to check for fit. If anyone has one, could they measure the internal length for me or better still have any EB-0 users any recommendations, thanks, Mike.

I know some older eb0s are longer than the 30" scale they are these days. I think some where 31.5", so will obviously need a longer case than a modern 30" one. Measure the total length of your '73 and someone may be able to help.

1 hour ago, wrinkleygit said:

The Epiphone case is for SG, EB-0 and also long scale EB-3 apparently, so if it fits a long scale it should fit anything much else with that body shape.

6 hours ago, Sibob said:

Is anyone running Tapewounds on their shortscale?
How are you finding them?

Si

I had tapewounds on a Fender (CIJ) Mustang around 2007/8 and they were pretty good, although they tended to mellow it out a bit too much for me. They were a joy to play though, and depending on your bass and playing style they might work for you.

I took them off the Mustang and put them on my 70’s short scale Shaftesbury Tele bass copy and they sounded great, it was like they were meant to be on that bass. I realise those old Italian Shaftesbury basses aren’t exactly hi-fi but the tapewounds were a serious upgrade from the flats that had been on there previously. 

Edited by meterman
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 21:10, Sibob said:

Is anyone running Tapewounds on their shortscale?
How are you finding them?

Si

Got them on my Kay specifically for that plunky tone, they work great not sure how different they really are to flats.

I was surprised by how round a tone I got out of them but it is very much in that thumpy territory.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/KfXJWHtgQN4mranTA

• Like 2

Hi, I apologise for having been a proper lurker for a few weeks.  Work has been a bit bonkers.  I finally got the Ibanez Mikro Bass I mentioned I'd ordered when I joined the group.  It's everything I hoped it would be - looks good, light, nice neck profile and I can play things I've never attempted on the old Aria.

And both pickups are silent.  Yess!!  Well they are if I go through my Zoom B1 pedal and I'm powering that with batteries.  If I power it using USB - oh dear, what a racket!  The neck pickup is even noisier than the bridge - and the neck is a split coil.  I've read articles about "is it grounding or shielding that you have to fix".  I take my hands off the strings and it hums and fizzes so it looks like shielding.  I know I can just carry on powering the Zoom pedal with batteries but sooner or later I'm going to be using a rig where I don't have that option.

Has anyone managed to silence one of these little devils without sticking a set of EMGs in there please?  If money were no option, I'd get an active EMG P/J set and pay a luthier to do a nice job for me - hoping that would give me the silence I enjoy with my 1985 Aria.

As I say, sorry to lurk for weeks and then come out with this...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jazzburger said:

Hi, I apologise for having been a proper lurker for a few weeks.  Work has been a bit bonkers.  I finally got the Ibanez Mikro Bass I mentioned I'd ordered when I joined the group.  It's everything I hoped it would be - looks good, light, nice neck profile and I can play things I've never attempted on the old Aria.

And both pickups are silent.  Yess!!  Well they are if I go through my Zoom B1 pedal and I'm powering that with batteries.  If I power it using USB - oh dear, what a racket!  The neck pickup is even noisier than the bridge - and the neck is a split coil.  I've read articles about "is it grounding or shielding that you have to fix".  I take my hands off the strings and it hums and fizzes so it looks like shielding.  I know I can just carry on powering the Zoom pedal with batteries but sooner or later I'm going to be using a rig where I don't have that option.

Has anyone managed to silence one of these little devils without sticking a set of EMGs in there please?  If money were no option, I'd get an active EMG P/J set and pay a luthier to do a nice job for me - hoping that would give me the silence I enjoy with my 1985 Aria.

As I say, sorry to lurk for weeks and then come out with this...

Could be the power supply, I have one that’s particularly noisy.

Just now, ezbass said:

Could be the power supply, I have one that’s particularly noisy.

Thanks EZB - I was using a USB cable that I'd fitted an RF choke to (a bit OCD maybe) and was surprised by the noise.  If I play my old Aria through the same pedal, all is silent or damn near.  I had the USB cable connected to an Apple charger.  Maybe that's not ideal.  I'll try other options before I start chucking daft money at this.

6 minutes ago, jazzburger said:

Thanks EZB - I was using a USB cable that I'd fitted an RF choke to (a bit OCD maybe) and was surprised by the noise.  If I play my old Aria through the same pedal, all is silent or damn near.  I had the USB cable connected to an Apple charger.  Maybe that's not ideal.  I'll try other options before I start chucking daft money at this.

If the Aria is quiet, that shoots my theory in the foot. The Ibby clearly likes as much isolation as possible. 

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

If the Aria is quiet, that shoots my theory in the foot. The Ibby clearly likes as much isolation as possible. 

Yes, well done me for telling half the story.  Apologies.  I'll play around with power supplies but it looks like I'll be shopping for conductive paint and learning to solder soon.  62 and I can't solder - pathetic or what?  Thanks EZB.  I am inclined towards some EMGs eventually because I have an EMG Select J pickup in my Aria and that made it a nice creature to live with.  I'm just tired of pulling bits off an old VW - I was hoping not to have to do it with a brand new axe.

40 minutes ago, jazzburger said:

Yes, well done me for telling half the story.  Apologies.  I'll play around with power supplies but it looks like I'll be shopping for conductive paint and learning to solder soon.  62 and I can't solder - pathetic or what?  Thanks EZB.  I am inclined towards some EMGs eventually because I have an EMG Select J pickup in my Aria and that made it a nice creature to live with.  I'm just tired of pulling bits off an old VW - I was hoping not to have to do it with a brand new axe.

Once you learn to solder well, there’s no going back. IMO, flux is key. I decided to build an amp and after that my soldering chops were pretty good (just as well as I also had to do it occasionally for my job at the time).

29 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Once you learn to solder well, there’s no going back. IMO, flux is key. I decided to build an amp and after that my soldering chops were pretty good (just as well as I also had to do it occasionally for my job at the time).

I have a friend who works as a fencing armourer and has to solder new connections to the weapons all the time. I plan to ask him to give me a Soldering 101 class 🙂 Then I can do some rewiring in the VW and then tackle the Ibby 🙂

• Like 1

Any suggestions for strings for a modded Bronco bass? It's all stock currently, but I have a new pickup and bridge etc to go in sometime this year!

Open to flatwounds, or tape wounds, though I have no real idea of the difference between those.

Would be mainly a rock type of player, but will have a 34 inch bass which will most likely have round wounds for that.

Also have an Epi EBO with flatwounds.

7 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Any suggestions for strings for a modded Bronco bass? It's all stock currently, but I have a new pickup and bridge etc to go in sometime this year!

Open to flatwounds, or tape wounds, though I have no real idea of the difference between those.

Would be mainly a rock type of player, but will have a 34 inch bass which will most likely have round wounds for that.

Also have an Epi EBO with flatwounds.

I’ve been impressed with the Fender 9050L flats that come standard on the JMJ Mustang. Nice and punchy with just enough tension so you can dig in whether you play pick or fingers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

I’ve been impressed with the Fender 9050L flats that come standard on the JMJ Mustang. Nice and punchy with just enough tension so you can dig in whether you play pick or fingers.

I've found the same, and won't be changing these on my JMJ. Previously always used D'addario Chromes on my other (no longer owned) mustangs and they worked great too.

Edited by Bix
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

What guages do you think would work well for short scale? I can't imagine what light guage would be like. I suppose medium guage is always a safe option...

Heavy guage strings for short scale. Because short scales are lower tension, they need thicker strings to get a fuller, richer sound. Light guage strings at low tension will lack any presence, especially in the low end department.

• Thanks 1

@barrycreed I think the La Bella’s on my tiny little short scale Tanglewood (25.5”) are 043 - 104, but on 30” scale Mustangs I used to go a little heavier. Might have had D’Addario Chromes once, I think 50-105? They were good for the price as well. Whenever I had anything lighter they tended to sound a bit twangier, not as much bottom end.