Why become a member? ×

5 hours ago, Dolis said:

sorry if this isn't the right thread but i have a question as never having had a shortscale bass before. So, whenever i read about these, it is obviously the neck length that is shorter, to slightly different dimensions, my question is, what about neck width?, for example, what recommendations are there for good shortscale bass with thin necks to make playing an octave less 'stretchy' for my diddy hands?

The Danelectro Longhorn Bass has a pretty narrow fretboard, even if it, as far as I recall, has a 41mm nut width, the neck doesn't widen much as you get down further towards the body, and I believe the string spacing is only 17mm, it also has a slightly shorter scale than 30", and 24 all very accessible frets, and it sounds absolutely killer, even if you wouldn't expect that kind of tone from a semi hollow bass with lipstick tube pickups, it is also incredible light.

Otherwise the Ibanez GSRM20 and GSRM20B Mikro Bass is am awesome bass as well, with it's quite slim neck profile and only 28,6" scale length, though I would recommend a pickup upgrade if you go in this direction, absolutely worth it though.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

I did some recording this week. Wasn't quite getting the feel right (fast line, loads of notes and octaves all around first three frets) with the full sized basses. In an idle moment tried my frugal as French fries Jack and Danny shortscale jazz which has a perfectly scaled down neck. Not only did it play beautifully, the sound was surprisingly good. I thought the tune needed flats, but the rounds I slung on that little jazz sat really nicely, and helped the rhythm of the piece brilliantly. 

If @Dolis or anyone else is considering taking the plunge into the Lilliputian world of the shorty, this is an extremely affordable way to dip a toe before committing full funds.

The only negative I found was the supplied strings were loose and twangy. I put  a set of new (perfectly ordinary) ones on it their place and they're fine. Also I had to tweak the tuning a few times during the recording process. Whether the neck was reacting to temperature changes as the heating kicked in, or (as seems more likely) the tuners are a bit crapola, I don't know. 

• Like 1

thanks @stewblack and @Baloney Balderdash, some good considerations. I had been seriously looking at the Chowny SWB, any thoughts on that? 18mm string spacing and looks like a decent neck, plus it looks fantastic. Though i have read that the shape of the body makes it a 'normal' reach to the lower frets that is not really an issue for me and the price point seems decent and, i suspect, probably good sellability should i feel its not right. 

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Depending on the make and model, the neck-width of 30"-scale basses ranges from 38mm to 41mm as measured at the nut.  Neck profile and fretboard radius also greatly affect the playability.  Theoretically, the one for you to avoid would be a s-s bass with a wide, chunky-profile neck and flat fretboard.  Having said that though, my s-s basses have different width/profile/radius permutations and I find them equally easy/comfortable/enjoyable to play.  Ideally you should draw up a short list based on manufacturers' data and owner feedback, try them out and then make your final decision based on how they feel to you.  Obviously, trying stuff out under current circumstances isn't really practical and you won't go far wrong making  your decision based on feedback from this forum.  Let us know how much do you want to spend so we can make some sensible recommendations.

Edited by Dolis

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Depending on the make and model, the neck-width of 30"-scale basses ranges from 38mm to 41mm as measured at the nut.  Neck profile and fretboard radius also greatly affect the playability.  Theoretically, the one for you to avoid would be a s-s bass with a wide, chunky-profile neck and flat fretboard.  Having said that though, my s-s basses have different width/profile/radius permutations and I find them equally easy/comfortable/enjoyable to play.  Ideally you should draw up a short list based on manufacturers' data and owner feedback, try them out and then make your final decision based on how they feel to you.  Obviously, trying stuff out under current circumstances isn't really practical and you won't go far wrong making  your decision based on feedback from this forum.  Let us know how much do you want to spend so we can make some sensible recommendations.

The couple i have been eyeing up have been the Chowny SWB1 or the Sterling Ray 34 shortscale, both v different in spec i know and i am probably erring towards the Chowny so i guess basses around the 500 pound mark are what i'm considering.

1 hour ago, Dolis said:

The couple i have been eyeing up have been the Chowny SWB1 or the Sterling Ray 34 shortscale, both v different in spec i know and i am probably erring towards the Chowny so i guess basses around the 500 pound mark are what i'm considering.

Having owned 4 of them (pre-Chowny), I have a high regard for the Scott Whitley basses.  Only thing I would say is that the position and balance on the strap were compromised (for me anyway) by the fact that the compact body shape doesn't allow for the top strap button to be located at the F12 sweet spot.  Since Stephen C moved SWB-1 production from China to India, the denser woods used have reduced the neck dive but that has also made the bass significantly heavier.  Re the SBMM short-scale Ray, I recently got one and am blown away by it!  I can't fault it in any way and it is massive value for money - provided you are happy with that the Ray signature sound, which they've managed to retain.  One of the most impressive s-s basses I've ever owned regardless of price.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adee said:

Looks like Ernie Ball Music Man have added a few 'special colours' to their Short Scale Stingray range in 'The Vault'

Neon Pink!

Blue Magic

web-sr-ss-neon-pink-_0001_2.jpg.eff66dfc2cc267b1e7e5e90b1c260e02.jpg

Just to clarify, it's the Sterling By Music Man version I have.  Less than a third of the price of the above and, according to several Talkbass owners who have both, so close to being as good as the premium brand version as makes no difference in the real world.  The pick-up and controls of the SBMM Ray are just incredible.

49 minutes ago, BCH said:

I will be joining with a 26.5" scale new build...body slab, wip630708118_BodyJan2021.thumb.jpeg.081153f6828c00b171c2db41e587ade6.jpeg

Wow, that is stunning!
This one will be headless too right?
That is going to be one tiny wee bass!

Put me down as extremely jealous ;)

Eude

58 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

They could have made the control plate follow the outer contour of the body!  That’s not good.

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Good grief 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Shoddy to say the least. 

It looks grossly oversize too, there should be more separation from that chunky bridge and the scratchplate. It looks assembled rather than designed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It looks grossly oversize too, there should be more separation from that chunky bridge and the scratchplate. It looks assembled rather than designed.

I'm guessing smaller body but standard hardware.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, slojo said:

I’m guessing that’s a computer generated image and the real McCoy will be ok.

I hope so. It seems odd to release a picture that makes it look like a bitsa bass where the wrong pieces have been made to fit the best they can. 

17 hours ago, Adee said:

Sterling have added a third colour too ...

Dropped Copper

2E8364A2-885D-4ADF-A4B7-5CC0D7C2D811.thumb.jpeg.a54843caa7f20b798327635f84d8d588.jpeg.

The quirky hardware doesn't really work as well with a dark body finish and the shading on this particular digital image makes it even worse. I am delighted with the look of my white bass - and every other aspect of it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

The quirky hardware doesn't really work as well with a dark body finish and the shading on this particular digital image makes it even worse. I am delighted with the look of my white bass - and every other aspect of it.

Hi Mike, can I ask what shade of white is it, is it a creamy, old white or a bright white, white if that makes sense?

I have a Sterling SB14 which you may remember has a rear route for the controls so no plate on the front.

This arrangement would look a lot more elegant on this downsized body. The control plate even when aligned properly looks oversize and rather dominates this version I think.

8 hours ago, slojo said:

Hi Mike, can I ask what shade of white is it, is it a creamy, old white or a bright white, white if that makes sense?

The SBMM white option is Olympic White.  The way I'd describe it is definitely a white white but, unlike some thin, wishy-washy whites, it does have a solid depth to it - which maybe suggests a touch of cream in there.  On close inspection, the white pick-guard has a barely discernible hint of green.  All very subtle and hard to describe (or photograph) but looks great with the chrome hardware IMHO.

Just now, scrumpymike said:

The SBMM white option is Olympic White.  The way I'd describe it is definitely a white white but, unlike some thin, wishy-washy whites, it does have a solid depth to it - which maybe suggests a touch of cream in there.  On close inspection, the white pick-guard has a barely discernible hint of green.  All very subtle and hard to describe (or photograph) but looks great with the chrome hardware IMHO.

Thanks Mike 👍

• 3 weeks later...