Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for ~£500?

guitargeek62

I'm looking for suggestions & outliers that I might not have considered for entry/mid-level bass to noodle on.

Going by the few basses I've owned (Squier CV P-bass, and a MM Sub 'Ray 4 - USA one) and/or played, and the ones used by my favourite players, my preferences are:

• 34" scale
  • Jazz nut width (38mm)
  • Active EQ, preferably with mid-range sweeps/selectors
  • 24-fret (preferred, not essential)
  • HH/MM configuration (I think)
  • Satin/oil/open-pore finish (again, preferred but not essential
  • Modern/quirky designs - anything other than a P or J really!
  • Four-string, unless someone can absolutely convince me that I need those extra four notes...

I recently bought a Sire M2 and and M7 from Thomann to try out. I liked them both, particularly the latter, but I'm sending them back as I'm not entirely sold on the finish on the M7. They have a new all-swamp ash model coming out soon that I'll probably end up getting if nothing else takes my fancy, but I may as well use the time in between to daydream a little more. The M2 was fine, but a little dark-sounding for my tastes, and didn't feel as refined as the M7 - which is to be expected!

I'll mostly be playing with a pick, and focussing on rock/prog/metal genres - the tones and approach that Justin Chancellor gets out of his Wal is what I'm looking to get in the ball-park of, but I don't expect to nail that on a tenth of the budget!  🤣

So far my shortlist is looking like:

• Used Warwick Corvette Standard / $$ (if I can find one in budget)
  • Sire M5
  • Cort B4
  • Used Ibanez SR[x] (Likely MiJ/Premium for the better hardware & electronics)
  • Used [x]...?
  • Sire P7
  • G&L Tribute L-2000

The latter two seem nice enough, but are lower on the priority for me due to the fewer frets and more traditional looks!

I'd love to justify something fancier, but at this point in time I'm still pretty new to bass-playing so it feels somewhat premature. I get that there's some overlap with this thread and the "what all-round bass" one, but I'm keen to see if there are anything else that gets suggested closer to my req's & preferences. 😊

I was going to suggest adding the Sterling by Musicman RAY4HH, but was staggered to see these retail for over a grand.  Thought this was a budget range!  Sterling SUB maybe?  There is a 4HH model that retails at £450.00.

Reverend Guitars?  The Thundergun is a wonderful thing, so is the Mercalli.  Might be able to get a secondhand one for under £500.00.

Aye - I hadn't realised the Sterling range had crept up that much either until recently! I've not managed to try any Reverends before, but I can't say they particularly appeal on looks alone.

I'm very happy to go secondhand, in fact I'd prefer it so that I don't take the depreciation hit if/whenever I sell it on. I'm happy to push the budget a bit for the "right" instrument, but would likely top out at £750.

There's a used Yamaha BB 734A in the for sale section that is bang on your budget (inc. P&P). (I have no connection to the seller btw other than we both spend far too much time on the Yamaha thread!). 

P+J pups, which is a great format. Active / passive modes. Decent 3 band EQ. Yamaha build quality. 

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find a more capable bass for the money, other than perhaps the Sire P7 on your list, but I see you're less keen on that one, and I think both the Sire and the 734A have 21 frets and you've mentioned a preference for 24. 

PS I see a BB 734A has made it onto the "if I could only keep 1 bass thread", which is high praise indeed, particularly if you read what other basses he has! I rest my case! 😊

Edit: scrap the above - that s734A has just sold. Someone's got a great bass at a good price! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

Something from the Ibanez SR range? They fit most of your requirements - HH, active electronics, 24 fret, 38mm nut, non traditional design - and they have models at a variety of price points. Not sure about the available finishes, but they might be worth a look.

I had one of the lower end ones and it was great for the price. It had a super skinny neck though, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea.

Edit: I see now that it's already on your list - I'm not quite sure how I missed that - I did read your post, I swear!

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep. Another ‘how the hell did that happen’ post. I had a SBMM Ray34 when they first came out. Cost me £400 new. Now over double that. 

Funny - I always fancied a Stingray, but they have always been a bit more money than I can justify. I have been looking since the mid 80s 🙄

5 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Funny - I always fancied a Stingray, but they have always been a bit more money than I can justify. I have been looking since the mid 80s 🙄

Price will only ever go one way, sadly. I first wanted one when they were around 8 or 900. Didn't pay much attention because there was no way I would ever have that kind of money at all, nevermind for a bass. Bought a new one for 1800 at the end of 2018.

6 hours ago, guitargeek62 said:

@leschirons - that looks nice, what is it though? 😁

It's  a Status Energy. The 5 string one I  have is 7lbs 8oz. The 4s even lighter. Wooden neck with graphite rods.  Great active electronics, pick one up for £500 or less.

2 hours ago, leschirons said:

It's  a Status Energy. The 5 string one I  have is 7lbs 8oz. The 4s even lighter. Wooden neck with graphite rods.  Great active electronics, pick one up for £500 or less.

I had a Status Energy back in the day... well around ten years ago. I sold it because I couldn't get on with the graphite neck. Someone offered me £375 - not for the neck but the whole bass! Keep on walking, son!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I had a Status Energy back in the day... well around ten years ago. I sold it because I couldn't get on with the graphite neck. Someone offered me £375 - not for the neck but the whole bass! Keep on walking, son!

Mine has a wooden neck. Fab profile. Love it.

Bit of an update - I'm going to stretch my budget a bit and hold out for a used german Warwick Corvette, ideally a $$ model. Something about them has really taken my fancy now, and I want to scratch that itch... until something else comes to mind anyway!

If all else fails, I'll just order the Sire M5, or get the swamp ash-bodied M7 instead of the alder that I had.

• Like 1