Why become a member? ×

NBD - 2019 Cutlass

bloke_zero

I finally took the leap and ordered a EB, MM Cutlass - it arrived last week and I'm very pleased.  After a bit of time with it including a little recording I can say it's a beautiful thing and sounds great.  I was looking for passive P-style bass.  I didn't want go Fender because none of the ones I tried were really speaking to me except a sunburst professional which was out of my range - these things need a bit mojo!  I got a deal on an ex-display which had, apparently suffered a bit of a fall - chip on the headstock, a couple of small dents on the body - otherwise pretty immaculate.

Pluses

• I love the neck - it's pretty close to the pre EB stingray I tried (in an amazing 70's brown) and really invites playing up the neck in a way I find the flatter radiused boards just don't
  • I thought I didn't like the pick up - it doesn't have enough of the nasal cut through thing that I was after, but after some recording it sits effortlessly in the mix without much tweaking.  I though I could just drop in a p-pickup but I'm going to sit with it for a while.
  • A lot of attention to detail - sloped edge for your thumb on the pickup, case coveniently has 'cutlass' on it in case you forget where you've put it, pots feel right - smooth and solid - fit and finish is all really top notch.

Cons

Still expensive, and why did I buy a not a p-bass p-bass? I can't help myself sometimes. And before you start on 'ugly' - I like it - it has a nice look for me, slightly generic, but well considered and tight aesthetically - some how feels a bit 60's, which I like - future retro!

IMG_2300.jpg

• Like 9

I got confused  ( easily done i must say ) but i thought the Cutlass had an MM pickup, and Carbon neck, so swiftly hit the big G button and found that the MM pickup Cutlass is, i guess,  a series 1 and  so is yours called a series 2  ??

cutlass.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fleabag said:

I got confused  ( easily done i must say ) but i thought the Cutlass had an MM pickup, and Carbon neck, so swiftly hit the big G button and found that the MM pickup Cutlass is, i guess,  a series 1 and  so is yours called a series 2  ??

I have no idea - I know about the series 1 - seems like a pretty different beast - yours looks great!  Maybe they are saving the Cutlass name for lines that they immediately discontinue 🤷‍♂️?  Seems like graphite neck with the MM config makes a lot of sense!

Check this beauty: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174284583415

6 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

I have no idea - I know about the series 1 - seems like a pretty different beast - yours looks great!  Maybe they are saving the Cutlass name for lines that they immediately discontinue 🤷‍♂️?  Seems like graphite neck with the MM config makes a lot of sense!

Check this beauty: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174284583415

Not my bass  Bloke.  When i saw the photo of the P pickup Cutlass,   which i didnt know existed,   i had to check because i thought they had an MM pickup, and just found a photo to post

That ebay sale is how i remebered a Cutlass.  Nice looking axe, too

Edited by fleabag

Looks great in black. I have the same in white with a maple board. It has a great neck, is very light, very ergonomic and like the OP said, it seems to sit in a mix without any trouble. The only thing I could see being an issue for someone looking for a nice P bass or derivative is the nut width. It’s somewhere between a P and a J. Personally I love it and my G&L LB-100, also with the split humbucker, with a more traditional nut width, feels like a bit of a cricket bat by comparison.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/06/2020 at 20:06, fleabag said:

cutlass.jpg

Wouldnt be like MusicMan to confuse their product lineup like MusicMan Sterling, Sterling Ray, Sub my MusicMan  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

They look like great basses...my only question is why so expensive...I mean its a passive P bass at the end of the day and its more expensive than a stingray...I just dont understand the bass guitar world sometimes. 

Yeah I get that.  Personally I was comparing it with a US built Fender but with MM build quality and attention detail and the MM neck which I like. And it was substantially discounted, so all in all it made sense for me.  I have to say, I'm doing less well with making sense of the rest of the world!

I really was surprised with how well it recorded - in the hand it feels and sounds like a really well thought out and made response to 'what's our version of the P-bass' question.

2 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Yeah I get that.  Personally I was comparing it with a US built Fender but with MM build quality and attention detail and the MM neck which I like. And it was substantially discounted, so all in all it made sense for me.  I have to say, I'm doing less well with making sense of the rest of the world!

I really was surprised with how well it recorded - in the hand it feels and sounds like a really well thought out and made response to 'what's our version of the P-bass' question.

It’s the same with sandberg. The battered looking basic p bass model is more expensive than its MM loaded brother with all their bells and whistles 🤷‍♂️