Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Guitar Bouzouki - (no basses were harmed in the...)

Andyjr1515

Read this as a post scriptum.

Luminlay warning that is on their website :

"Don't buy the fake Luminlay from emma music in France !

We only sell genuine Luminlay at our website and ebay USA."

I know it's a Japanese based company, but they do ship lightning fast.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 11:11, Hellzero said:

Read this as a post scriptum.

Luminlay warning that is on their website :

"Don't buy the fake Luminlay from emma music in France !

We only sell genuine Luminlay at our website and ebay USA."

I know it's a Japanese based company, but they do ship lightning fast.

Not surprising. Emma the most sh1tty shop in Europe. Should be blown up with a Bouzouki ehm Bazouka

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

As always stunning!

I notice you ended up going for a guitar-style bridge with sting pins rather than what appears to be the standard bouzouki separate bridge and tail-piece. Any particular reason why?

Thanks - you are very kind :)

Yes - that was in P's original spec.  As far as I can gather, the majority (though not all) of guitar bouzouki's have this arrangement, probably from the initial concept of 'I wonder if you could fit a bouzouki neck to an acoustic guitar?'

It is interesting, though.  With a tailstock and bridge, like a mandolin, the pressure is downwards on the bridge and the top.  I'd never thought about it before, but on an acoustic - and likewise on this - the string tensioning is lifting the top.  If it didn't mean taking another three months to build one, it would be interesting to build an identical one with a tailstock/bridge combination and see what the tone difference would be.

21 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - that was in P's original spec.  As far as I can gather, the majority (though not all) of guitar bouzouki's have this arrangement, probably from the initial concept of 'I wonder if you could fit a bouzouki neck to an acoustic guitar?'

It is interesting, though.  With a tailstock and bridge, like a mandolin, the pressure is downwards on the bridge and the top.  I'd never thought about it before, but on an acoustic - and likewise on this - the string tensioning is lifting the top.  If it didn't mean taking another three months to build one, it would be interesting to build an identical one with a tailstock/bridge combination and see what the tone difference would be.

I suspect it's way more complex than that 🙂 Does anyone here have access to a Finite Element Analysis program...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Why is the pressure downward with a tail piece? Isn't it just moving the turning moment of the top backwards?

Easiest to consider a violin where the bridge is so much higher.  The string wants to be straight between the tuners and the tailpiece.  Then you stick a 2" high bridge in the middle.  The downward force on that bridge is enormous.

The question is probably more whether my statement that an acoustic bridge is being pulled upwards is correct.  Theoretically, it is being pulled sideways.  But in  actual measurable practical terms, the top is lifting under tension.  And an old acoustic will sometimes lose the stiffness and lift more, resulting in the need of a neck reset.

Where's a Finite Element Analysis when you need one :D 

• Haha 1

- a deer, a female deer, Ray - a blind soul-singing bloke.

I uses to have an FEA programme stashed away somewhere,  but it was on 3.5" floppies and wouldn't run on any current O/S.  However a quick google search shows up loads of free and open source options. Need to wait until I have a working pc though.

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 18:16, Andyjr1515 said:

Thanks for the clarification, and for the thought behind the process. Thinking about it myself it occurs to me that the vast majority of bridge/tailpiece acoustic guitars are also arch-top in construction. Is this due to the forces involved and their directions in relation to the top? Does it make a difference whether the arch top is carved or moulded/formed?

Of course the most important question is now you have finished this... what's next?

• Like 1