Why become a member? ×

Vintage VS4. Any players?

barrycreed

HI folks. Anyone ever get their paws on the Vintage VS4? Demo video isn't bad. Bridge humbucker looks bigger than the Gib SG one. I wonder how it compares to the Epi EB0 short scale (obviously it has the bridge pickup that the EB0 doesn't). Or how would it stack up against the SG faded bass? Based on my experience of the Vintage brand, they're decent enough and great bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw52UqTkD3E

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barrycreed said:

HI folks. Anyone ever get their paws on the Vintage VS4? Demo video isn't bad. Bridge humbucker looks bigger than the Gib SG one. I wonder how it compares to the Epi EB0 short scale (obviously it has the bridge pickup that the EB0 doesn't). Or how would it stack up against the SG faded bass? Based on my experience of the Vintage brand, they're decent enough and great bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw52UqTkD3E

I'd be interested to hear it with flats! 

And it's only cosmetic I know, but those massive tuners look a bit daft...

I was looking at these a while ago. It seems at some point they changed the bridge to a Fender style which looks crap in my opinion. I like the much criticised 3-point bridge but then I'm rebellious like that.

The bridge pickup is a guitar sized humbucker, and wasn't overly keen on the price also for what it is. For that sort of money you could get a used Epiphone limited edition short scale EB3, though not many around, so you would need a bit of patience to get hold of one.

Epi-1.jpg

Edited by Bleat
Epiphone

SG shape is on my ever expanding bucket list. Thing is @Dood could play a badminton raquet and make it sound better than any bass I ever played. Even having said that I liked the tones he was getting. My question is simple. With the strap button at the heel - how does it hang?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

SG shape is on my ever expanding bucket list. Thing is @Dood could play a badminton raquet and make it sound better than any bass I ever played. Even having said that I liked the tones he was getting. My question is simple. With the strap button at the heel - how does it hang?

Bless ya heart thank you!

Well, short answer, there’s a lot of metal hanging off the end of the neck there. Balance is a tough one as their isn’t a strap button anywhere near the 12th fret (think Fender for example) and thus it is inevitable that there’s going to be neck dive and a pull on the shoulder. Swapping in super light tuning keys is likely to help, but the design of the bass (and no fault of Vintage of course) means that it will always be something to deal with, either with a wide suede strap or other means. 

2 minutes ago, Dood said:

Bless ya heart thank you!

Well, short answer, there’s a lot of metal hanging off the end of the neck there. Balance is a tough one as their isn’t a strap button anywhere near the 12th fret (think Fender for example) and thus it is inevitable that there’s going to be neck dive and a pull on the shoulder. Swapping in super light tuning keys is likely to help, but the design of the bass (and no fault of Vintage of course) means that it will always be something to deal with, either with a wide suede strap or other means. 

It's not just neck dive, it's the way a bass tilts away from the body worries me

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It's not just neck dive, it's the way a bass tilts away from the body worries me

Same. As soon as I got my Dingwall basses (sadly no longer with me) I moved the rear strap button down towards the centre of the body to stop the bottom kicking out when I played standing up.

Interestingly (or not) my main Shuker has two strap buttons on the back of the body. Yes, they do act as feet for when my bass is stood on the floor, thus protecting the finish, but actually my strap connects to the lower button, not the higher one.

i discovered that by attaching the straps at “opposite corners” of the body, the bass was more likely to stay put in exactly the same position all night, whatever I was doing. It also holds the bass flat against me and counteracts the small food baby I have grown recently lol 

The Epi EB3 seems to be noted for the neck dive. Same with the EB0 and the short scale Gib SG basses?

Kind of related but those hollow bodies with the mudbuckers. I am guessing most of them are short scale too. Seem to have similar hardware, just a different body....