Why become a member? ×

What music really gives you a huge lift?

Can be almost anything. Mozart Grand Mass in Cm, Christine & the Queens Girlfirend, Bob Dylan Tangled up in Blue, and often stuff I've never heard before.

Edit - Inspired by this thread...

...here's a really feel great version of Hugh Masekela's Grazing in the Grass. Try listening to this with a scowl!

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

We like music for different reasons, when we're broken hearted, doped up, in the mood for lurve, etc but what would you put on to really lift your mood. For me it's Manu Chao and Radio Bemba Sound System doing their thing live

Really enjoying this. Thanks for posting.

Oh, and fabulous custom SG the guitarist is playing (but probably shouldn't say that on a bass forum)!

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Really enjoying this. Thanks for posting.

Oh, and fabulous custom SG the guitarist is playing (but probably shouldn't say that on a bass forum)!

Cheers. I was there and this was  the best performance of the weekend even though there were excellent sets by Groove Armada, Massive Attack, Balkan Beat Box, Ozomatli and Fun Lovin Criminals.

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

Cheers. I was there and this was  the best performance of the weekend even though there were excellent sets by Groove Armada, Massive Attack, Balkan Beat Box, Ozomatli and Fun Lovin Criminals.

Nice lineup!

19 minutes ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

An excellent question that I cant for the life of me find an answer to, it's made me realise that I'm in a constant state of Leonard Cohen/Grateful Dead, despite my witty posts, maybe they are how I get a lift

I find a lot of 'down' music can be uplifting. Quite a lot of Blues for starters - Need Your Love so Bad, Got A Mind to Give Up Living (and go Shopping Instead). Jeff Buckley's take on Cohen's Hallelujah, and also his version of Lilac Wine are other great non-blues examples. 

As a flipside, California Dreaming sounds really bouncy and joyous, but the lyrics are very melancholic.

50 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Me and my pals (of all musical tastes) soundtrack to the early 80's - jamie's crying and the rest. Such Fun

I'm The One, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Take Your Whiskey Home and many others - can't help but bring a smile just thinking about them... 

• Like 1

Anything I play.

Seriously, I find nothing works as well as setting up the bass and playing along with any blues or rock or Americana I have on my PC. I wear headphones then really crank it up. An hour or so of that and I am re-energised  and back up there.

Cheers, 

Graham 

Edited by Graham56
typo
  • Like 1