Why become a member? ×

Basses with provenance!

sshorepunk

This may have been done before, but couldn’t find a thread after searching “provenance”

A few weeks back I bought a Sei bass off this forum, some of you probably saw it, it was made for Randy Hope Taylor!

I owned another Sei around 10 years ago that was made for Paul turner!

last week I saw a Gibson come up for sale that had really cool Provenance, having been owned by Glen Matlock and gigged with Sid vicious, before being moved on to Jonny Marr!

So I got inspired to start this thread to see what other basses are owned by Bass Chat people, that have provenance of any kind

Tony 

• Like 1

I once had a Hartke HA5500 that I wanted to rack mount but I couldn't find rack ears to attach to the amp. I emailed the UK distributor at the time and they sent me a pair of rack ears that had been attached to one of the amps that Jack Bruce used for the Cream reunion concert.

I know it's not in the same league as paying £40k for a bass that someone famous had sweated all over but it's still good, free and not been sweated over enough to have to caulk it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I once had a Hartke HA5500 that I wanted to rack mount but I couldn't find rack ears to attach to the amp. I emailed the UK distributor at the time and they sent me a pair of rack ears that had been attached to one of the amps that Jack Bruce used for the Cream reunion concert.

I know it's not in the same league as paying £40k for a bass that someone famous had sweated all over but it's still good, free and not been sweated over enough to have to caulk it

Actually, I think that's pretty cool to have Jack Bruce's rack ears...! 

Being a Foos fan and in a tribute band I’m pretty pleased to have Nate Mendels glorious Lakland Bob Glaub ( Pretender Vid 😁 ) with tour case and also his CTM300 head custom made for him. He ordered 2 and one was plenty loud enough so I bought his spare. Also have the prototype NM pedal, again 1 of 2 in existence. 

F2A27A00-CC34-4B8F-85A6-9AE434EB03F1.thumb.jpeg.57c2484969d70d9765a4a6dda713ef22.jpeg

CF5C47FC-E2E4-44C2-A0F6-FA802A037C43.thumb.jpeg.1fbea993c1958cd0f728c0611b7ed867.jpegBE38F87A-5A8A-4D8A-A09B-B5E644617751.thumb.png.dd27d6acfc4c125dd37e76b6526c7314.png

Edited by walshy
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I was lucky enough to grab this Ovation in the Sotheby's auction of John Entwistle's gear back in 2003.....

Nice bass. 

I was literally just about to post that any straight vintage bass probably passed through JE at some point! 

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Nice bass. 

I was literally just about to post that any straight vintage bass probably passed through JE at some point! 

He did amass quite the collection. They had open days before the auction too so I made sure I got down there and played pretty much every bass he owned. That was a good day! 😁

He had loads of fishing stuff there too, all sorts of weird stuff like catches he had made into a lamp. Kinda gutted I didn't come away with one of those too!! 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

That couldn't have been true, because it never made me sound anything like him!

Same as my old Zon Legacy fretless which I bought from John Giblin. Used by JG on various recordings with Kate Bush and Scott Walker, even a James Bond score. I was anticipating a dramatic improvement in my fretless playing but sadly not!

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.9c553d028efa94212edd2ed9a56f8dce.JPG

Edited by ikay
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, walshy said:

Being a Foos fan and in a tribute band I’m pretty pleased to have Nate Mendels glorious Lakland Bob Glaub ( Pretender Vid 😁 ) with your case and also his CTM300 head custom made for him. He ordered 2 and one was plenty loud enough so I bought his spare. Also have the prototype NM pedal, again 1 of 2 in existence. 

F2A27A00-CC34-4B8F-85A6-9AE434EB03F1.thumb.jpeg.57c2484969d70d9765a4a6dda713ef22.jpeg

CF5C47FC-E2E4-44C2-A0F6-FA802A037C43.thumb.jpeg.1fbea993c1958cd0f728c0611b7ed867.jpegBE38F87A-5A8A-4D8A-A09B-B5E644617751.thumb.png.dd27d6acfc4c125dd37e76b6526c7314.png

Nate: “guys can you make me this one off for the tour?”

ashdown: “sure mate,  mind if we make two, we know someone who will deff take the other one”

Nate: “ Paul again?”

Ashdown: “yep”

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, walshy said:

Being a Foos fan and in a tribute band I’m pretty pleased to have Nate Mendels glorious Lakland Bob Glaub ( Pretender Vid 😁 ) with your case and also his CTM300 head custom made for him. He ordered 2 and one was plenty loud enough so I bought his spare. Also have the prototype NM pedal, again 1 of 2 in existence. 

No. Not jealous at all! No, really. I'm not. Really.

My ACG Recurve is apparently ex Belle & Sebastian.

The Vigier branded fitted hard case for my 5 string Vigier Passion is allegedly ex Alphonso Johnson and was used on a Santana tour amongst other things (according to the previous owner who had an email to this effect from Patrice Vigier).

31 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

The great man himself, Lemmy, was once playing a gig in the same town I was in, so my Jazz bass was within 2 or 3 miles of him.  You can't  buy provenance like that, eh?

I'm betting you could hear them from 3 miles away, so the sound they were putting out was probably having some sort of an effect on your strings..........It's almost like he was actually playing your bass that night! 😂   

13 hours ago, White Cloud said:

My ACG Recurve is apparently ex Belle & Sebastian.

The Vigier branded fitted hard case for my 5 string Vigier Passion is allegedly ex Alphonso Johnson and was used on a Santana tour amongst other things (according to the previous owner who had an email to this effect from Patrice Vigier).

I can't imagine Belle & Sebastian playing a ACG!

Years ago I had an old Columbus Jazz copy which had a massive Cargo Studios sticker right across the back. Did a bit of digging and found a record of a Columbus J on an ancient gear manifest from the studio - which was for a time co-owned by Peter Hook.

So I like to entertain the idea that Hooky might have had the occasional play on my old Columbus. Tenuous, I admit. 9_9

• Like 1