Why become a member? ×

Bargain Jaguar?

They don't go for much anyway. I sold one in absolutely immaculate condition recently for the equivalent of about £140. They're great for the money, but damn they're ugly! (Purely subjective of course). I sold mine because I couldn't ever see myself playing it in public. Now I'm trying to get into a bit of recording I wish I'd kept it because it sounded great. 

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

They don't go for much anyway. I sold one in absolutely immaculate condition recently for the equivalent of about £140. They're great for the money, but damn they're ugly! (Purely subjective of course). I sold mine because I couldn't ever see myself playing it in public. Now I'm trying to get into a bit of recording I wish I'd kept it because it sounded great. 

That's interesting, I've never heard Jags described as ugly. Was there something more extreme about your one?

I have a five string one, they seem to go for ok money (as do most of the Squier 5ers).  I find it a really comfortable bass to play, for me it's the same as a jazz bass, but without the lower horn getting on the way.  I wouldn't have any issue playing it in public, I'd class it as quite a traditional shape than pointy like the 80s hair metal basses.

5 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

That's interesting, I've never heard Jags described as ugly. Was there something more extreme about your one?

Purely a personal taste thing (or arguably lack of). I can't stand Fender basses. They're just bland with a side order of meh. Those stupid big elephant ear tuners make me want to retch, and the shape of the headstock is like the elephant mans eyebrow. Although at least the Jag has a far more interesting body shape than the standard P or J basses, so it has that going for it. YMMV.

6 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Purely a personal taste thing (or arguably lack of). I can't stand Fender basses. They're just bland with a side order of meh. Those stupid big elephant ear tuners make me want to retch, and the shape of the headstock is like the elephant mans eyebrow. Although at least the Jag has a far more interesting body shape than the standard P or J basses, so it has that going for it. YMMV.

Fair enough, that makes sense.  I didn't used to be fan of F basses either, but I've mellowed about it over the years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So on the fence about Fenders really then? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's why the Ramones played them 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣