Why become a member? ×

You can only keep 1!

bassfan

Well it is easy. But there is a story to tell even if it isn’t very exciting. And as English is not my first language at least I get some  practice time:-)

I love Spectors. 

Started out with an Ibanez SR and quite liked the sleek body and neck. My first mid category bass was a Czech made Spector which was an unbelievable upgrade for me both in terms of sound and ergonomics. A couple of Czech Spectors later I quit playing for a short while and in the process I sold much of my stuff, Spectors included. 

When I started again a year later I made it a point to try as many different basses as possible to gain experience about what is out there and what fits me sound and ergonomy-wise. Long story short a couple of dozens basses lates I got another Spector, a Czech one again and I came to the conclusion that there are so much great basses on the market that it’s unbelievable but Spector is where I feel at home.

Around that time I have seen a picture of a US made Spector NS-5XL with an marvelous and exquisite buckeye burl top and while I have seen some great combination of these specs this was the best for me ever. Having a pro photographer taking the pics didn’t help the case either. I felt there is a forbidden yet very real love affair taking off so guess what was the locking screen photo on my phone for a year or two? 

Some time passed after this and much to my surprise and utter disbelief this very bass came up for sale. Let’s just say that I have never before and after paid this much for a bass nor for any bass have I driven  a roundtrip of over 2000kms. But I had it in my possession after all.

This Spector NS-5XL turned out not only as much beautiful in person as it was on the pic but it proved itself to be my best sounding one, too. For all my recordings in the last three years this is the one that ended up getting used because it has a great combination of clarity, sound  and dinamics all over the board and in lower tunings, too. It just works really well for the music I play.

I am fortunate to have tried and currently own a selection of instruments from some of the best makers in the industry and I have basses that are close to me for the history we have shared on and off stage but if I were to keep only one this would be it. Spector NS-5XL buckeye/walnut with EMG X series DC pu’s and Hazlab preamp.

Now enough of my ramblings let’s get to the best part! Thanks for reading this far🙂

10A42879-47A1-4825-BAD8-C2C2C28411BD.thumb.jpeg.91ce0679154b6d7f0e75807b7774e5f8.jpeg

A16C1DF8-3D24-4A79-B753-DAEEAFF860B2.thumb.jpeg.60640f04a545e756b19a1a06b413d0a6.jpeg

06A98F27-B680-4A5D-97D7-5161CD2F5208.thumb.jpeg.ba07ec8e8277fb79cf6fd77c093344a0.jpeg

2CDDE849-15E8-44F4-B26B-5BD1D3C4EA57.jpeg.a8b7eee39b77f21bba76cb58191818c8.jpeg

316D7AA6-C0FD-44BA-872E-938FCC2D9C5E.jpeg.4856f3947e043d2f76c3d99b41da0cfa.jpeg

Edited by Paulhauser
fixed some typos (prob not all of em)
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Must be the virus going around which means I'm seeing double,  or is it that I just can't count to one anymore?

...it's definitely going to be one of the two, right?

😁

Nah, it’s just your comprehension 😂

Its a situational decision for me, so the last paragraph sums up it’s the Ray. 

You know, story telling. 

36 minutes ago, 4000 said:

What’s the string spacing?

No idea, it’s a Trigger’s broom. Had it since around 93, it started life as a 1990 mij 60s reissue. Now only the body and three of the tuners are original. I’ve owned over 200 basses now, some very expensive stuff. But I now only own this and the same backup I’ve had since 95. Just never found anything that I felt sounded, played or felt better. It has its quirks, but it’s been gigged thousands of times for 27 years now, in pub corners, festivals, huge venues and all the rest. I played it at my wedding, and when I go, it goes in the box with me :) 

Edited by gafbass02

2 hours ago, danbanbass said:

Just checked you guys out, like it. What are you doing now Lozz?

Cheers Dan, not doing anything at moment, have a project where me & some mates meet up (prior to lockdown) once a fortnight to play classic rock but it’s not a gigging band, more a social get together.

3 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

No idea, it’s a Trigger’s broom. Had it since around 93, it started life as a 1990 mij 60s reissue. Now only the body and three of the tuners are original. I’ve owned over 200 basses now, some very expensive stuff. But I now only own this and the same backup I’ve had since 95. Just never found anything that I felt sounded, played or felt better. It has its quirks, but it’s been gigged thousands of times for 27 years now, in pub corners, festivals, huge venues and all the rest. I played it at my wedding, and when I go, it goes in the box with me :) 

Just looks much narrower than normal on the photo. 

31 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Well it is easy. But there is a story to tell even if it isn’t very exciting. And as English is not my first language at least I get some  practice time:-)

I love Spectors. 

Started out with an Ibanez SR and quite liked the sleek body and neck. My first mid category bass was a Czech made Spector which was an unbelievable upgrade for me both in terms of sound and ergonomics. A couple of Czech Spectors later I quit playing for a short while and in the process I sold much of my stuff, Spectors included. 

When I started again a year later I made it a point to try as many different basses as possible to gain experience about what is out there and what fits me sound and ergonomy-wise. Long story short a couple of dozens basses lates I got another Spector, a Czech one again and I came to the conclusion that there are so much great basses on the market that it’s unbelievable but Spector is where I feel at home.

Around that time I have seen a picture of a US made Spector NS-5XL with an marvelous and exquisite buckeye burl top and while I have seen some great combination of these specs this was the best for me ever. Having a pro photographer taking the pics didn’t help the case either. I felt there is a forbidden yet very real love affair taking off so guess what was the locking screen photo on my phone for a year or two? 

Some time passed after this and much to my surprise and utter disbelief this very bass came up for sale. Let’s just say that I have never before and after paid this much for a bass nor for any bass have I driven  a roundtrip of over 2000kms. But I had it in my possession after all.

This Spector NS-5XL turned out not only as much beautiful in person as it was on the pic but it proved itself to be my best sounding one, too. For all my recordings in the last three years this is the one that ended up getting used because it has a great combination of clarity, sound  and dinamics all over the board and in lower tunings, too. It just works really well for the music I play.

I am fortunate to have tried and currently own a selection of instruments from some of the best makers in the industry and I have basses that are close to me for the history we have shared on and off stage but if I were to keep only one this would be it. Spector NS-5XL buckelye/walnut with EMG X series DC pu’s and Hazlab preamp.

Now enough of my ramblings let’s get to the best part! Thanks for reading this far

🙂10A42879-47A1-4825-BAD8-C2C2C28411BD.thumb.jpeg.91ce0679154b6d7f0e75807b7774e5f8.jpegA16C1DF8-3D24-4A79-B753-DAEEAFF860B2.thumb.jpeg.60640f04a545e756b19a1a06b413d0a6.jpeg06A98F27-B680-4A5D-97D7-5161CD2F5208.thumb.jpeg.ba07ec8e8277fb79cf6fd77c093344a0.jpeg2CDDE849-15E8-44F4-B26B-5BD1D3C4EA57.jpeg.a8b7eee39b77f21bba76cb58191818c8.jpeg316D7AA6-C0FD-44BA-872E-938FCC2D9C5E.jpeg.4856f3947e043d2f76c3d99b41da0cfa.jpeg

I do like Buckeye. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

That’s a really nasty question! 

P Basses are my soul-bass, so if I was still physically able to join a band it’d be my Lull PJ4 all day long. 

But as I’m a home player, it’d be my Stingray Special HH as it’s so versatile and Ray’s were my first love so it’s no hardship. 

089A5B10-1161-4CF7-B042-A87187D47B28.jpeg

That lull is gorgeous mate! 😍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

For me, it has to be my Spector Euro Mike Starr LE with the Haz 9V. All my other basses can go (for the right price) or have to go (to make space in the living room (for more basses :- ) or to pay for other basses, bills or other stuff). 

506418918_SpectorEuroMikeStarrLE.thumb.jpg.97287be2b421fb48536f821e7a6b625b.jpg

And although @dave_bass5has pointed out  on another thread that black basses matter, white basses are pretty darned tasty too and a Spector to boot!

• Like 3

Plays amazing, looks amazing, sounds amazing and took a few years to save up for.

And the paintwork is utterly destroyed so, as my dad pointed out, is pretty much worthless and I should take it all off and start again.

F3F70779-91C4-4709-AC6B-C07C7C75B7E9.jpeg

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Plays amazing, looks amazing, sounds amazing and took a few years to save up for.

And the paintwork is utterly destroyed so, as my dad pointed out, is pretty much worthless and I should take it all off and start again.

F3F70779-91C4-4709-AC6B-C07C7C75B7E9.jpeg

Lovely. What year is it?? 

Just now, bassfan said:

Lovely 👍🏻👍🏻

Yeah, it’s really nice. Like a lot of people on here I got it when they weren’t bonkers money. Saved up for years to get it.

It’s a lovely bass but (if I’m honest) the Fender special run modern jazz I bought sounds better and is better built all round. I know it’s controversial, but the modern pickups are better, the neck is nicer, components are more reliable and the case is sturdier.

This one just means more to me than the modern one does, if that makes sense. I used to gig it a lot but now it can spend months in its case as I don’t want my kids whacking it with their toys (happens).

Tough decision as I’ve had a few crackers and still have some too! I think it would have to be my ‘66 P. It’s had a refin and I’ve swapped out the pick guard ( still have the original ) but the sound is mighty! Probably the best P I have ever played or had. Ideal for my Nate Mendel role, even though I have his actual Lakland BG too, it’s always the one I reach for first. Don’t know why but it just works and feels right every time. 

55C118A0-6F8F-4138-8712-ACB2C163D48C.jpeg

664DF0DF-C3FC-4DBF-A146-8BF7860A314C.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I love Spectors. 

I am fortunate to have tried and currently own a selection of instruments from some of the best makers in the industry and I have basses that are close to me for the history we have shared on and off stage but if I were to keep only one this would be it. Spector NS-5XL buckeye/walnut with EMG X series DC pu’s and Hazlab preamp.

Now enough of my ramblings let’s get to the best part! Thanks for reading this far🙂

10A42879-47A1-4825-BAD8-C2C2C28411BD.thumb.jpeg.91ce0679154b6d7f0e75807b7774e5f8.jpeg

A16C1DF8-3D24-4A79-B753-DAEEAFF860B2.thumb.jpeg.60640f04a545e756b19a1a06b413d0a6.jpeg

06A98F27-B680-4A5D-97D7-5161CD2F5208.thumb.jpeg.ba07ec8e8277fb79cf6fd77c093344a0.jpeg

2CDDE849-15E8-44F4-B26B-5BD1D3C4EA57.jpeg.a8b7eee39b77f21bba76cb58191818c8.jpeg

316D7AA6-C0FD-44BA-872E-938FCC2D9C5E.jpeg.4856f3947e043d2f76c3d99b41da0cfa.jpeg

I cannot stop looking at this beauty. Definitely one of the best looking Spectors I have ever seen. Fortunately, it has a string too many (I can hardly cope with 4  ;- ); otherwise, I would beg you every day to sell it to me 🙂

• Thanks 1