Why become a member? ×

The relic refuge

Geek99

36 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Do we know if there are any places like Limelight that would relic an instrument you already own for you? I've got a burgundy Sire incoming and would like it to look more Betsy-ish

I haven’t heard of any aftermarkets, but do you not fancy having a play yourself?!

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 10:46, Painy said:

I'd love to relic my 5 string sunburst precision but it's my number one and like an extension of me so I'd be terrified that I'd ruin it - especially as its a fairly thick polyurethane finish so I imagine it would really need to be completely stripped and refinished first which, for sunburst, would really need to be done by a professional. 

IMG_20200728_104446.jpg

Mine worked out ok - see page 1

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 08:14, BassApprentice said:

Do we know if there are any places like Limelight that would relic an instrument you already own for you? I've got a burgundy Sire incoming and would like it to look more Betsy-ish

Restauracja Gitar in Poland do that. 

https://restauracja-gitar.pl/makeover-relic-2/

Clicking one image takes you to renovating options, the other one to relicing. Both can include a full nitro refin. With £1 being about 5PLN, a full strip, refin, relic, reassembly come to £250-ish, which, seeing the quality of their work, is ridiculous. 

• 2 months later...

I've been encouraged to jump in and comment on my Flea signature Jazz bass.

As folks will know, they all look the same, being copies of the same bass... but they are a great way to get a 'played in' replica of an early sixties ('63) Jazz.

I felt it was bit 'slick' looking and the dings and scratches were a bit predictable and repetitive. The chips, especially, all seemed to be in groups of three, the same shape.

I couldn't do much about the dents, but I used a kitchen knife to chip off a bit more paint and make the wear look more random and natural. A grubby rag (used for cleaning up my lathe) dulled down the bright patches of wood that appeared.

I also used a hot air gun (set fairly low) alternating with pipe freezing spray to check the nitrocellulose, front and back. This is a bit scary, but actually turns out to be fairly easy to do and controllable. The hot air makes the new cracks disappear, and at normal temperatures they are faint and less noticeable than when freshly done. I didn't get any flaking off.

To subtly accentuate the checking I used the same grubby rag to apply dark oak woodstain and immediately wipe it off again. This also aged the paint a bit more as well.

I like the result.

1796324009_fleajazzcheckcloseup.thumb.JPG.f08fcead9144b271ad20df0f9d8115f0.JPG

1643010394_FleaJazzChecked.thumb.JPG.dd2e901913f3b6fb8f5d8bfa5eb402f9.JPG

1624005900_Fender63Jazz.thumb.jpg.e262fa139dd89d86fa9cde11d4ad2347.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got this light relic Burgundy Mist P Bass body that I'm not sure what to do with. I was initially going to put my Squier SQ series P Bass neck on it, but the neck is shot so that idea's put the window. I had bought a replacement a few weeks ago that looked nice but the heel was too wide for the pocket, so that went back. I had thought about getting one of the Fender Road Worn P Bass necks to put on it, but I'm unsure if the maple and burgundy would go together or not; I always envisioned it having a rosewood fingerboard, but so far haven't been able to find anything suitable.

20211022_115745.thumb.jpg.6ddbc6b82cad6114dc2b6e05fa6bc9c0.jpg20211022_115753.thumb.jpg.676af74472a1d3dca7289ca3a0082eed.jpg20211022_115944.thumb.jpg.ff020821bb5ed3958a6de89db66594e0.jpg

• Like 2