Why become a member? ×

Dee Dee Ramone's P Bass - Auction

James Nada

I suspect it boils down as to whether you like the Ramones or not, they're an easy target if you don't, "anybody can play and write their simple songs with dumb lyrics", the same argument could be made about the early rock and roll stars like Buddy Holly, and anybody can write simple songs, the trick is to write good catchy simple songs, IMO the Ramones and Dee Dee in particular, continually pulled that trick off

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, James Nada said:

I wouldn't say Dee Dee Ramone played a bit part in punk.  He wrote at least half of the tracks on the Ramones debut album and similar on the rest.  It's undeniable that the Ramones were an extremely significant part of many new genres, not just punk.

The Ramones themselves were relative bit players in the play that was punk. They weren't  the first, they weren't  the finest, the weren't the most popular, they weren't  the most innovative, they weren't the longest lived, they weren't the best selling. By any definable metric they were unremarkable 

Music is a personal thing, and some people love and adore their work, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with that.  I don't actually dislike them, I simply can see very little evidence that they had any profound effect on the musical landscape.

Edited by Bassfinger

5 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

when one starts to make boastful claims about their musicianship etcd

I don't think anybody would make boastful claims about their musicianship, in fact their 'charm' lay in the fact that they wrote simple good songs that more or less anybody could play

• Like 3

On 13/06/2020 at 12:34, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

I wouldnt mind the bass that Tony Zemaitis made for Ronnie Lane, it's the only one and Ronnie was an actual musician

Actually he made a bass for Pete Cruickshank that looks very similar(or at least he owned one , gave it to his son for doing well in exams  a few years ago apparently ...Ken Pustlenik told me that when I mentioned  that I had always lusted after Mr Cruickshank's bass).

The inside cover of the first album I ever bought (Hogwash) was the best pic I could find …..

1754546016_PeteCruickshank.thumb.jpg.5490b1869e1df2efc9ad7e22c0e8c921.jpg

Edited by Raymondo

Simple songs, with simple melodies, that brought joy to many around the world. Could be describing a pop band, but no, The Ramones were def a punk band, and  one of the best imo as for me punk has always been about the music and image, I wasn’t that fussed on the behaviour and anti-many-things. Re the bass itself, I hope a true collector gets this one, someone in the world of music maybe, rather than someone corporate.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I'd answer this honestly but I can't be bothered with all the $h1t I'd get. U2 happened to like them, the bulk of their output doesn't stand up to comparison. 

You can't deny that Adam Clayton's root note bass playing must have been influenced by the Ramones 😆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Nada said:

You can't deny that Adam Clayton's root note bass playing must have been influenced by the Ramones 😆

I thought it was just 'cos Clayton wasn't very good, not because he'd absorbed Dee Dee's MO.

The guitar looks like a piece of junk, I wouldn't want it on my wall.  I am ambivalent on the Ramones - I'm maybe a bit too young but some of their stuff is OK and some is not worth listening to..

10 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Or just maybe that he plays what the song needs rather than what it doesn't?

Agree, great singer, really great guitarist, either support them or really bollix them up, think AC chose the former.

• Like 1

I think there might be enough of Dee Dee’s DNA splattered all over that Precision to conjure up a clone or two.

I’m sure it will make someone very happy, but I’ll pass on that one 🤢.

Safest place for everyone is putting it in a sealed display case in a Hard Rock somewhere. I would suggest the Sharm Al Sheikh one of it still exists. A $h1T hole of epic proportions.

A topic on The Ramones sure does bring out the snobbery in you "real musicians!" FFS! When you've wrote songs that are known the world over, done the world tours, had your music in movie soundtracks, had the album releases and sales figures to justify your high and mighty stances. Your opinions might be worth something!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, pst62 said:

A topic on The Ramones sure does bring out the snobbery in you "real musicians!

:) I think you'll find it's only a teeny-tiny percentage of the membership who harbour a substantial animus against The Ramones. Most people here probably don't care that much about the band either way as long as everyone's happy.

Which is as it should be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

This looks like it was made from the left-overs of Brian May's mantelpiece.

I think that's because Tony Zemaitis knows that if he makes yet another Precision clone it wont be a Zemaitis original, the same reason we dont all drive round in a red Focus 1.6 L

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Safest place for everyone is putting it in a sealed display case in a Hard Rock somewhere. I would suggest the Sharm Al Sheikh one of it still exists. A $h1T hole of epic proportions.

Haha yes, been to that one. Surviving their ‘hospitality’ was good preparation for trips into the desert.

• Haha 1