Why become a member? ×

Dee Dee Ramone's P Bass - Auction

James Nada

Not for me. It's a mass produced instrument (not even custom or one off). The fact that it has been in the hands of someone famous doesn't add any value to it imho. To each his own, I know, but 40k buys something really nice or even a number of really nice things.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Not for me. It's a mass produced instrument (not even custom or one off). The fact that it has been in the hands of someone famous doesn't add any value to it imho. To each his own, I know, but 40k buys something really nice or even a number of really nice things.

And someone who's famous for shouting 1-2-3-4, hardly J S Bach was he!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

This ^

I just don't get it. 

I mean I understand it, from a memorabilia point of view. But as an instrument, no way! 

I can't understand how or why someone, other than a museum or hall of fame type establishment, would pay that kind of money for something that's otherwise worth, at best a few hundred quid, just because it's been in the hands of someone "famous"' 

• Like 1

They were not my cup of tea IMHO I dont care who owned / played any instrument ( especially mass produced ones) I cant see why they are worth the money.

Even if I was a Bill Gates I would pay anywhere near that for any instrument played buy any 1 ( unless its 1 that I played with / on)

As a massive, lifelong Ramones fan, if money were no object I would buy it, I saw him use it live at one of those life changing gigs.

Was Dee Dee a great bass player, no, but he certainly played in a band that influenced a whole bunch of future musicians to pick up a bass or guitar and start playing, that for me makes n him an "actual" musician!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Roger2611 said:

As a massive, lifelong Ramones fan, if money were no object I would buy it, I saw him use it live at one of those life changing gigs.

Was Dee Dee a great bass player, no, but he certainly played in a band that influenced a whole bunch of future musicians to pick up a bass or guitar and start playing, that for me makes n him an "actual" musician!

I like John Lydon's take, in his book he said that The Ramones said that after their first UK gig, the Sex Pistols asked them how to start a band, Johnny said, funny thing is, on the night in question the Sex Pistols were playing a gig in Sheffield!

• Like 1

I don't get the hate. It was played by Dee Dee Ramone during and close to the height of the Punk era. It's a piece of rock and roll history. I'd dare say Dee Dee Ramone is more well known and more influential than most of the names that get bandied about this forum. His ability is borderline irrelevant to the the sale of this instrument.

• Like 3

I dont think anyone hates him. He was simply playing a bit part in new musical genre, so the majority of even us musical observers don't think its  historical significance is that great.  

Considering that isn't even his real name, I'd suggest that claim that he is better known than most of the bass musicians discussed on these hallowed pages is somewhat fatuous. "Douglas" is hardly the name one would expect of a hardcore punk rebel, more the name of a carpet slipper salesman. This adds a vener of cynicism to the historical perspective of the whole punk thing - don't have any anti establishment kudos of your own? Easy, just make some up to sell some records!

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

I dont think anyone hates him. He was simply playing a bit part in new musical genre...

I wouldn't say Dee Dee Ramone played a bit part in punk.  He wrote at least half of the tracks on the Ramones debut album and similar on the rest.  It's undeniable that the Ramones were an extremely significant part of many new genres, not just punk.

• Like 4