Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn - Admin Please Close
£3000
Sunderland

Marcus

Guys....

The bass I had my eyes on looks as if it’s not going to be available as such I’m likely now hang onto this wonderful Fodera... I’ve had a good session with the bass today and it truely is marvellous! 

apart from the tones you’d expect it to have the P sound in passive mode is to die for....!!

I will leave it up for the weekend and withdraw if not sold by Sunday Evening 👍🏻 

Regards

Mark 

What's the wood spec Mark? Mahogany body? 

It has to be said this bass is not like the 'standard' you buy from Fodera today. Aside from the obvious differences in pickups and electronics, yours has a three piece maple neck with angled headstock as opposed to the one piece neck and string tree approach on the later ones. I'm a fan of the neck heal cut away on this bass too. Not sure why fodera neglected that touch on the recent bolt-on's.  

It's a lovely bass and a great price. Really tempting!

Edited by Denzel
  • Like 2

Hi Denzel, 

yes a Mahogany body with a slight flame to the maple that’s more noticeable in the ‘wood’ than on camera...

yes, I agree.... while the current standard is a fine instrument this generation of standards were the equal of the deluxe instrument... just bolt on ! 

There’s no question this is superbly well built instrument and that’s exhibited in how it plays and sounds..... it’s got a quite vintage feel to the bass.... it just feels like it’s been a bass long enough to have forgotten it was ever a tree !! Ofcourse this generation Fodera we’re making standards from aged / matured wood the same as their deluxe models...

regards 

mark 

These are quite different beasts from the current 'Standard' models.

If I remember rightly they were built in very small batches, maybe 10 - 20, and in the main custom shop by the, at the time, very limited number of luthiers.

I think they were kind of a 'test' series to work out a way of batch-building to sit alongside the core custom lines. At the time the only way to get a Fodera was to place a full custom order. The idea behind these was to build the small batches in popular combinations but with no custom specs. All built alongside the custom basses. This allowed people to sample the full Fodera bass experience without the, circa 2 year, wait time and at a more affordable price (bearing mind that an 'affordable' Fodera is still a LOT of money to many players).

The natural follow on to these was the Standard series we now have. Simpler construction, the biggest time saving is the straight headstock instead of angled back, followed by the rear cutaway, and generally larger build numbers.

I've owned 5 or 6 Foderas and although my early standard is the lowest cost it's actually the only one I've hung on to!

I certainly think these are worth a decent amount more than most of the current Standard models you'll see on the used market (although the newer Ltd editions are getting quite special / pricey now). Definitely worth £3K+

Edited by molan
Amended part of body text for accuracy

11 minutes ago, molan said:

These are quite different beasts from the current 'Standard' models.

If I remember rightly they were built in very small batches, maybe 10 - 20, and in the main custom shop by the, at the time, very limited number of luthiers.

I think they were kind of a 'test' series to work out a way of batch-building to sit alongside the core custom lines. At the time the only way to get a Fodera was to place a full custom order. The idea behind these was to build the small batches in popular combinations but with no custom specs. All built alongside the custom basses. This allowed people to sample the full Fodera bass experience without the, circa 2 year, wait time and at a more affordable price (bearing mind that an 'affordable' Fodera is still a LOT of money to many players).

The natural follow on to these was the Standard series we now have. Simpler construction, the biggest time saving is the straight headstock instead of angled back, followed by the rear cutaway, and generally larger build numbers.

I've owned 5 or 6 Foderas and although my early standard is the lowest cost it's actually the only one I've hung on to!

I certainly think these are worth a decent amount more than most of the current Standard models you'll see on the used market (although the newer Ltd editions are getting quite special / pricey now). Definitely worth £3K+

Thanks for taking the time to provide that insight Barry..... hope you’re well 

3 minutes ago, triplebass said:

señor, how about a sound sample? bitte, danke, gracias, muito obrigado...

p.s. shipping to EU as well?

Shipping to EU is no problem.... I’ve arranged this many times. Typically costs around £50-£120 depending on the service required. No real reason to go above £50 unless you need an express service. 

sound sample.... I’ve not really got recording facilities to do it justice.... (Sorry I’m a bit low tech with this type of thing) 

it’s got a great range of tones from passive P & J to active HiFi and all between.... it’s certainly got a great slap sound that stays ‘big’ with no drop in volume when switching from finger style to slap... no boost needed for a slap solo !!

On 13/06/2020 at 15:37, Marcus said:

Guys....

The bass I had my eyes on looks as if it’s not going to be available as such I’m likely now hang onto this wonderful Fodera... I’ve had a good session with the bass today and it truely is marvellous! 

apart from the tones you’d expect it to have the P sound in passive mode is to die for....!!

I will leave it up for the weekend and withdraw if not sold by Sunday Evening 👍🏻 

Regards

Mark 

Guys....

Regards

Mark 

Passive tones from EMG's - how's that?   34" scale..Ta

Guys....

Regards

Mark 

• MB1 locked this topic