Why become a member? ×

Isolated Bass - Geddy Lee - Tom Sawyer

PaulThePlug

I turned it up because the intro seemed quiet - huge mistake!

My reaction to this is the same as when I first heard John Entwistle’s bass soloed on The Real Me, “Yikes! How much distortion?” Sounds horrible isolated but great in the mix.

43 minutes ago, ezbass said:

My reaction to this is the same as when I first heard John Entwistle’s bass soloed on The Real Me, “Yikes! How much distortion?” Sounds horrible isolated but great in the mix.

One of the things I’ve learnt over the years is how much more distorted many of my favourite bass sounds are than I thought. Recording our last couple of albums I used a degree of distortion that I thought might be excessive, given the band is essentially acoustic apart from me, and it’s still not really been enough. As soon as it’s in the mix the distortion just disappears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I would say Geddy's tone in that song sounds amazing. Even soloed.

• Like 2

fret buzz and pickup clicking is quite incredible on this. Although, unlike a lot of these isolated things, this one is really well played and i think the actual tone is top notch! Just shows you, its far more to do with performance than anything else.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Sounds awesome to me - isolated and in the mix.

Geddy's Jazz always sounded the best when he played on the front pickup only IMHO.

• Like 1