Why become a member? ×

British Basses

molecule

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

I think they're lovely, unique instruments with peerless build quality and a sound all of their own that can't be easily replicated. But they are a bit of an acquired taste.

I confess my statement was made never having actually played one myself.  The recordings I've heard (Flea, Colin Edwin etc.) have sounded great so I get the sound thing but I can't see the justification for the price tag.

Edited by PatrickJ

3 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I confess my statement was made never having actually played one myself.  The recordings I've heard (Flea, Colin Edwin etc.) have sounded great so I get the sound thing but I can't see the justification for the price tag.

A combination of scarcity and charging what the market will bear. Wal was out of business for quite a few years until Paul Herman took the reins, which created a huge amount of pent-up demand.

Have you seen what Wals change hands for secondhand? I saw one the other day that was up for $10,000. The worst part is that it will sell, since interested buyers would rather pay that than wait four years! 

• Like 1