Why become a member? ×

British Basses

molecule

On 13/06/2020 at 08:22, lurksalot said:

I don’t see that Gordon Smith have been mentioned yet ?

Yes Indeed they were testing a gorgeous white semi-hollow one earlier this year. Always amazes me how reasonably priced GS guitars are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molecule said:

I cannot see any basses on the current Gordon Smith website.

Check the Gordon Smith Group on Facebook from earlier this yr. A cute white semi hollow short/medium scale's in prototype stage.

I specified P/J because I don't have one, but it could be J/J as I don't have one of those either; I have three basses with soap bars and one with a single J style pick up.  It does not have to be traditional shape, in fact looking at all the suggestions made here I think it would be daft to spend a lot of money on an exact clone when there are so much creative restyling available.

Had a fretless Jaydee for couple of yrs mainly because i always fancied a Jaydee. I found it a little bit limiting from its EQ. I think i expected more. To be fair i only ever played it at home at lower volumes and that might have been the issue. I probably should have bought a fretted one.

Nice bass to play tho.

Dave

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic.  I followed up every suggestion and have made my decision.  I am commissioning Zoot to build me a Jazz Maniac similar to this one, but with P/J pickups..   It won't be built until next year, but I will put a picture of it on BC when it arrives.

Full%20front%201.jpg?etag=%22ab9cf-5e9c7c40%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=826%2B308&extract=0%2B0%2B826%2B295&quality=85

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, molecule said:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic.  I followed up every suggestion and have made my decision.  I am commissioning Zoot to build me a Jazz Maniac similar to this one, but with P/J pickups..   It won't be built until next year, but I will put a picture of it on BC when it arrives.

Full%20front%201.jpg?etag=%22ab9cf-5e9c7c40%22&sourceContentType=image%2Fjpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=826%2B308&extract=0%2B0%2B826%2B295&quality=85

That looks really nice, and I’m loving  the name , Jazz Maniac 

16 hours ago, molecule said:

Mike makes lovely basses. Wonderful chap to chew the fat with too 😎

(he's also to blame for introducing me to Bassworld - which is wot Basschat was back in the day!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/06/2020 at 22:55, Dood said:

Jon Shuker makes the signature model for one of our famous Precision bass players, JJ Burnell. It’s sublime in both more traditional configurations and Shuker’s “carbon lyte” carbon necked, chambered body versions.

or to put it another way, Jon can and will make exactly what you want with the added input of his years of experience.
http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk

I’ve been looking at the Shuker web site this morning and reading the spec on that JJ Carbonlite model.

Have you had your hands on one? It’s an expensive way to buy a P bass, but given the weight and balance in its design, the price tag isn’t actually that bad.

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve been looking at the Shuker web site this morning and reading the spec on that JJ Carbonlite model.

Have you had your hands on one? It’s an expensive way to buy a P bass, but given the weight and balance in its design, the price tag isn’t actually that bad.

I have! I think there's even a picture of me on the Shuker FB page with my mitts all over one! I'd love to own a CarbonLite, I even got as far as spec'ing one out..well, actually two or three as I couldn't decide what I wanted first ha ha! They really are very nice indeed. You can rely on Shuker being one of the very best in the business for the small details that get forgotten or missed and the JJ CL is full of those finer touches. 

Oh and I think the original JJ design elements have been retained here: JJ had two basses that he wanted the best of each combined in to one model. Tone, playability, weight - It may seem biased, but I've played a lot of P basses and these are one of my very favourites. 

I will have one, eventually!!! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dood said:

I have! I think there's even a picture of me on the Shuker FB page with my mitts all over one! I'd love to own a CarbonLite, I even got as far as spec'ing one out..well, actually two or three as I couldn't decide what I wanted first ha ha! They really are very nice indeed. You can rely on Shuker being one of the very best in the business for the small details that get forgotten or missed and the JJ CL is full of those finer touches. 

Oh and I think the original JJ design elements have been retained here: JJ had two basses that he wanted the best of each combined in to one model. Tone, playability, weight - It may seem biased, but I've played a lot of P basses and these are one of my very favourites. 

I will have one, eventually!!! 

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. I have an itch for a P and was looking at Moollon amongst others. I wonder if Jon would consider doing one with a slightly narrower nut? It doesn’t actually say in the spec on the site, but I would presume the JJ is mid 43-ish?

359CA5B7-CAA1-469A-96F9-B905AB1BCC5A.jpeg

We make some fantastic, world leading basses in this country.

So far Overwater are the only UK made basses that have caught my attention. Sadly, my diary has to be a lot fuller before I could justify the required outlay.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Have you had your hands on one {Shuker JJ Carbonlite}? It’s an expensive way to buy a P bass, but given the weight and balance in its design, the price tag isn’t actually that bad.

And an absolute bargain when you compare it to a Fender Custom Shop P...

Edited by Rich

10 minutes ago, E sharp said:

Do people actually buy these , do you think?

Well I suppose they must do

Folk who are married to the “F” logo, yes. Those of us who are enlightened to the virtues of other (often better quality/value) luthiers know better!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Folk who are married to the “F” logo, yes. Those of us who are enlightened to the virtues of other (often better quality/value) luthiers know better!

Bit harsh, but I do wonder what real difference there is between a team built P and a master built P to justify the price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

We make some fantastic, world leading basses in this country.

So far Overwater are the only UK made basses that have caught my attention. Sadly, my diary has to be a lot fuller before I could justify the required outlay.

Dunno about my diary, but my wallet would definitely need to be a lot fuller 😢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Bit harsh, but I do wonder what real difference there is between a team built P and a master built P to justify the price.

I’m speaking particularly about the Fender custom shop. Their “normal” lines are typically pretty great for the money these days.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 02:40, Pinball said:

They look cool, I never knew they existed.

That'll be Chris McIntyre, who used to work with Martin Petersen at Sei. I can confirm he definitely knows his stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. I have an itch for a P and was looking at Moollon amongst others. I wonder if Jon would consider doing one with a slightly narrower nut? It doesn’t actually say in the spec on the site, but I would presume the JJ is mid 43-ish?

359CA5B7-CAA1-469A-96F9-B905AB1BCC5A.jpeg

Blimey there I am ha ha ha!!

You know I have a strange recollection that it could be 41/2 mm, but I cant remember. It might be worth asking about the neck width. I would say that in any normal circumstance he will make whatever size your heart desires, but I am unsure about the carbon side of things. My assumption is that it IS possible as the sizing is controlled by the neck "core", maybe not down to the size of some sort of mould.. But hey, I could be totally wrong - best to ask him directly. God, I realise how much I loved the bass now ha ha! Look at that face, I'm proper excited!! 

Dan.

• Haha 2

On 13/06/2020 at 02:28, Stingray5 said:

I had this Goodfellow 'Player' bass on loan for a while. Hand-made by Bernie in 1987, Herringbone finish and came with a Goodfellow case. £1695.

GoodfellowPlayerBassDark.thumb.jpg.b505d2f50b2da270c2126d78a19330db.jpg

MMMMMMMMM ....goodfellow,  full of yummy fat sounding goodness.... 

KGB birkenhead makes some very nice basses, all out works of art or as basic as you want, just tell him what you want, and he will build it,.... http://kgb-music.co.uk/gallery.htm

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.2af71f415b60298eeb2c427fd5226b5f.JPGIMG_0143.thumb.JPG.c9861eb93c4cdb9e7b209901f6f4122f.JPG

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 2