Why become a member? ×

British Basses

molecule

12 hours ago, pineweasel said:

I’d be checking out the Wilcock short scales

https://www.wilcocklondon.com

I bought a Fender Mustang JMJ and the very next day saw Tim Lefebvre playing a Wilcock at the Vortex, and ended up chatting with him and Mr Wilcock in the interval. Wished I'd waited a day or two now (and had an extra £500 or so, mind you)

29 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I bought a Fender Mustang JMJ and the very next day saw Tim Lefebvre playing a Wilcock at the Vortex, and ended up chatting with him and Mr Wilcock in the interval. Wished I'd waited a day or two now (and had an extra £500 or so, mind you)

Damn, that's a beautiful little collection of instruments. Out of my price range and too nice for the places I play! But they look really good. 

9 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I don’t see that Gordon Smith have been mentioned yet ?

I know they made a few back in the day but I don't think they' do basses.  I remember going to their workshop, not much more than a large shed at the bottom of a garden, to collect something for our local guitar shop n the 70s.  Their guitars are wonderful 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

I know they made a few back in the day but I don't think they' do basses.  I remember going to their workshop, not much more than a large shed at the bottom of a garden, to collect something for our local guitar shop n the 70s.  Their guitars are wonderful 🙂

There's a GS bass up for grabs on eBay right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Gordy-Gordon-Smith-Blueshift-Deluxe-UK-Bass-1982-Red-Excellent-and-Set-up/324175722764?hash=item4b7a60f90c:g:O2YAAOSwFbFeyaDM

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

They did a new range just a few years ago, they sold them at the Great British Bass Lounge. No idea if they still do them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

They did a new range just a few years ago, they sold them at the Great British Bass Lounge. No idea if they still do them. 

Yes, I looked them up after I saw this thread  - they did a Gryphon bass and one that looked a bit like an SG

And there's this old thread from BC

And Talkbass
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gordon-smith-gryphon-bass.994500/

Edited by inthedoghouse

On 12/06/2020 at 17:53, CameronJ said:

Jon Shuker will do builds as simple or as exotic as you like.

Same goes for ACG although none of his body shapes aren’t Fender copies, if that’s what you’re after.

What’s your budget range?

I've played a Shaker, excellent bass and very light.

Obviously some of the well known luthiers basses will be a lot cheaper 2nd hand if that's an option for you. I've seen some Overwaters go for silly money on BC. No idea why they don't sell for more on the 2nd hand market. I have 2 Overwaters and they are fantastic basses. Quite a clean sound tho and maybe not what you are looking for from a PJ style bass.

2nd hand ACG basses are worth a look too

WAL are still silly money 2nd hand but they arent PJ anyway

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Are the bodies and necks that Limelight use actually made in the UK?

The OP says they want a P/J bass, does that mean a traditional design or anything with a P/J pickup configuration?

The bodies are made in the UK, the necks are US (I think?). As for your second question, I don't know.