Why become a member? ×

After slapping what about tapping?

Seeing as my recent thread on slapping got a big response, let's see how opinions are divided on tapping.  On the Talking Bass site, I thought I'd give the tapping/ bass shredding lesson a go even though it's not my bag.  After about 6 minutes I stopped, thinking I really have no interest in learning how to tap on the bass as it doesn't fit into what I like to play. So I went back to essential slap riffs instead. I've watched YT vids of Billy Sheehan and other rock virtuoso bassists doing live shredding solos and TBH all that stuff bores the t1tz off me. To my ears tapping on the bass sounds a bit meh. So, over to youse..

Nope.

I think this is just more showboating like guitarists shredding.  But i'm a bit of an old school luddite and my opinion has no bearing on something thats personal. 

Slap / Shred / Tap ...  foxtrot oscar, but  i'm asbo lootley fine with others mastering these techniques, if they love this stuff. It  just leaves me cold and i switch off

• Thanks 1

I can't see me ever using it in a live band setting, but I do enjoy a bit of tapping when playing or composing solo pieces. Alongside chordal work, it's useful at filling out the sound.

Used to be quite good at it, less so now... 🙄

• Like 1

I used to love it in the early 1990s when I used to listen to David Lee Roth, Mr Big and Stu Hamm. I got quite decent at chucking in bits to the sort of funk / rock band I was in a the time (it was the early 90s, right?).

Ive written a few nice little bass tunes with tapped harmonics etc, but not the whole super fast shredding sort of tapping anymore.

Doesnt really fit in to anything beyond that slim genre, and I’ve never needed to use it since, er, 1993? 

35 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Anything which gets bass away from being the rhymthmic anchor of the band and exploits its real strengths gets my vote. Leave the dull thump to the upright guys.  

I'd have said the rhythmic anchor is it's real strength. Noodling on a bass 🤮

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spectoremg said:

I'd have said the rhythmic anchor is it's real strength. Noodling on a bass 🤮

I was just agitating for a wind up, ignore me ;) .  Although that's my view, privately.  I think the bass makes a far better bass guitar than a melodic drum. 

• Like 1

I use to do the VW overjoyed intro when my band use to play that song. Also tapped the keyboard part for everybody wants to rule the world when we have to play it on a gig. 

It is a technique; I use it when appropriate and needed. Although tap shredding as is not my thing as well. Mainly because I cant do it. 

10 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

My issue with tapping is, in the main you lose a lot of tone, ie. it often sounds weak and timid. 

agreed, specially when the tapping is at the 8th fret and higher on the high strings. 

'Sheer technical brilliance rarely makes brilliant music - ask Nuno Bettencourt'

and Steve Vai, Eddie van Halen, Stuart Hamm, Michael Manring and all those tip top players knocking out that fusion c@ck

On 12/06/2020 at 15:45, fleabag said:

Nope.

I think this is just more showboating like guitarists shredding.  But i'm a bit of an old school luddite and my opinion has no bearing on something thats personal. 

Slap / Shred / Tap ...  foxtrot oscar, but  i'm asbo lootley fine with others mastering these techniques, if they love this stuff. It  just leaves me cold and i switch off

+1