Why become a member? ×

My First Fretless

Chewie

Good morning guys and gals.

I played a Revelation fretless before the lockdown & it was lovely to play.  I always wondered that I’d sound rhubarb at first but it was so much fun to play, sliding around on this lovely piece of wood.

This is the bass I’m thinking of buying....

https://thebassgallery.com/products/revelation-rpb-65-fretless

Could any of you cats recommend any other, nice starter fretless basses out there?   I was going to have a fretless neck made for my P bass, by Limelight but somebody has just gone and bought the bass.

I’d love something that I stood half a chance of creating a double bass tone on, in the end.

Big love to all,

Chewie

I see that you're attracted by the myth saying you can get a (quite decent) double bass sound out of a fretless...

To do so, you'll have to buy a fretless bass fitted with piezos and tweak the EQ a lot as no cheap bass will do the job with just a P-Bass pickup close to the neck.

That said, as a fretless player myself, I can only encourage you to do the jump and buy one.

The ones mentioned before are excellent basses for the money, but there are many others.

Also check the ads here.

Enjoy the fretless ride, Chewie!

If you're chasing a more DB tonality, then flatwound strings, or even better black nylon tapewounds, get you that bit closer. 

If you're *really* after that DB tonality, then get a double bass! My only regret with such things is that I waited probably 15 years longer than I might have done, thus denying myself an extra 15 years of fun. 

Mind you, that was 15 years of getting better on fretless, so nothing actually lost..

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, hubrad said:

If you're chasing a more DB tonality, then flatwound strings, or even better black nylon tapewounds, get you that bit closer. 

If you're *really* after that DB tonality, then get a double bass! My only regret with such things is that I waited probably 15 years longer than I might have done, thus denying myself an extra 15 years of fun. 

Mind you, that was 15 years of getting better on fretless, so nothing actually lost..

Thanks hubrad.

I’m very excited.

I’ve got some old Labellas here too.

Yipee.....!!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hubrad said:

The genius that is Rob Allen also says that the LaBella black nylons are easier to play in tune as well as helping with getting nearer to that DB tone. As I have both normal flats and nylon coated, I think he might be onto something.

https://www.roballenguitars.com/faq

I tried some LaBellas on my Ibanez SRH500F and ended up going back to the original  D'Addario ECB81 Flat wounds, which are awesome, and I even get some upright-like growl on the E string. I did also raise the action to tame some of the fretless mwah, and so I can dig in a bit.

Scott has some great tips on getting an upright tone