Why become a member? ×

The blackest Bass in the world?

dave_bass5

Just now, Al Krow said:

Funny thing was that it was a PJ bass, and it was only a while after I had moved it on (the missus tells me she's not happy I did that, but she hadn't touched it in 15 years!) that I came to realise that the PJ basses are where it's at!

Ha!! You could have matching Ken Smiths! 😃

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

You’re missus plays bass?? You kept that quiet! 

She picked it up for gig a good 15 or so years before I started playing! But it was a brief love affair on her part. Fortunately her old Aria was still lying around in its case ready for me to noodle on when a mate, who's a drummer, said he might need a bass player for his band...

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

She picked it up for gig a good 15 or so years before I started playing! But it was a brief love affair on her part. Fortunately her old Aria was still lying around in its case ready for me to noodle on when a mate, who's a drummer, said he might need a bass player for his band...

Years ago i have lovely Blazer Bass. I was ok, just playing with mates from school. I was asked to join my step cousins band, but after two rehearsals he asked if he could play bass. I didn’t mind as i was still at school so didnt have much time to keep going over to his. Ive never saw the bass again, and he passed away about 5 years ago. 

20 minutes ago, Dood said:

I’ve two of the Power Jazz Bass Special versions (fretted). 

Very nice. Mine wasnt really mine, it was on loan to me for about 5 years. Lovely bass though. It was the first proper big name bass i ever played. 

Edited by dave_bass5

13 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

That too is lovely, although I’m very much drawn to the non gloss look these days. Is that like a black Duck Dunn with embellishments? The neck looks nice and slim. 

Probably. It also has the 1.5" neck. I actually ordered one from a German retailer and asked them to check it thoroughly before shipping it over (last year they sent me two basses with faults and I had to send them both back). They were so kind to take and send me some photos. Unfortunately, these showed that the black finish had several scratches and they therefore did not ship it. Now I cannot find it anywhere else 😒 

5 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Probably. It also has the 1.5" neck. I actually ordered one from a German retailer and asked them to check it thoroughly before shipping it over (last year they sent me two basses with faults and I had to send them both back). They were so kind to take and send me some photos. Unfortunately, these showed that the black finish had several scratches and they therefore did not ship it. Now I cannot find it anywhere else 😒 

Thats a shame. its a really, really nice bass by the looks of it. I loved my Duck Dunn's, really regret selling them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh yeah, that looks nice. I love the black and chrome contrast. 

Sanderberg California vm. Nice bass.  Tried a 5-string one one in wunjo, but it was a 35" scale and too big for my short fat hands. 😞 

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Sanderberg California vm. Nice bass.  Tried a 5-string one one in wunjo, but it was a 35" scale and too big for my short fat hands. 😞 

The first time i ever came across a Sandberg was a Cali PM5 in black burst. This was in the bass centre and I almost brought it. I thought it had such a rugged look. I think that was the first time i ever considered a bass that I had never heard of. Ended up getting a very plain and boring  black Lakland 55-01.