Why become a member? ×

Greatest rock guitarists

SH73

6 hours ago, stevie said:

I'd have thought that bass players would appreciate Brian May's talent, as it's based on musicality and inventiveness rather than how many notes you can play in a second. There will always be somebody who can play faster than you, but crafting the kind of solos that Brian May produced is much more worthy of respect, IMO.

I like his work, style etc, but he is not the greatest

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

I like his work, style etc, but he is not the greatest

There’s no such thing. There are people who have had a dramatic impact musically, culturally etc, and people who you like. Sometimes they align, sometimes not. There are people who are technically deficient who have had an enormous impact stylistically, people who are technical wizards who have had no impact at all, and every point in between, and it can all be argued til the cows come home without getting anywhere at all. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

SRV for me, then there's Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh and of course Jimi H. Peter Green was no slouch either

Sh*t, forgot Mick Ronson. Although you can add keyboards, violin and music production to his credits. Good job I'm not in a Bowie Tribute band.....oh hang on

For me its EVH & SRV, both known by their initials and both astounding players who simply stunned everyone who ever saw them long before they were famous. But there have been so many, from Hendrix to Jeff Beck to Robben Ford to hundreds of great players you can see everytime you fire up YouTube (not even mentioning the three Kings and all the great Chicago blues guys). Particular favourites of mine include Steve Lukather, Kossof, Andy Timmons and… so many to choose from!

I think that people forget the impact that Eddie Van Halen had when he first burst onto the scene. It seemed that for years after, every guitar player either copied his playing / sound or made a conscious effort not to! Since then there have been thousands of guitarists who have ripped him off to the bone. But for every 12 year old out there who can play Eruption note for note, there is hardly anyone who can hold a candle to his rhythm playing. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, stevie said:

I'd have thought that bass players would appreciate Brian May's talent, as it's based on musicality and inventiveness rather than how many notes you can play in a second. There will always be somebody who can play faster than you, but crafting the kind of solos that Brian May produced is much more worthy of respect, IMO.

Abso-'kin-lutely. Who can remember, even knows  or cares about the hyper fast pentatonic scales produced by errm?   All this glorification up of hyper technical shred seems to mostly be gushed over by American teenage nerds hiding away from girls in their bedrooms. I'm no Queen fan but old Brian has certainly dished out plenty of tasty riffage and soloing in his time.

• Like 2

I think most people would consider SRV a blues guitarist. Whether he's better than BB King, for example, depends on what you consider important - like any discussion about 'who's best'.

Steve Vai's pretty amazing, IMO. And Gary Moore.

3 minutes ago, stevie said:

I think most people would consider SRV a blues guitarist. Whether he's better than BB King, for example, depends on what you consider important - like any discussion about 'who's best'.

Steve Vai's pretty amazing, IMO. And Gary Moore.

Agreed

If you haven't already, check out Joanne Shaw Taylor 

https://www.joanneshawtaylor.com/