Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Don't see why not, it's just a different layout of the same controls

Ok. That's good to know. I'm almost tempted to try the VVT configuration with the EMGs on the Flea bass. Simpler, maybe? 

Edited by Mister RLP

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

are they active or passive EMG in Betsy? 

Active. They have a 9v battery hidden under the control plate. They sound great. So, I could swap the EMGs from Betsy to the Flea...

From Bass Collection - http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bbm-betsy.html 

Like its namesake, the new Betsy is loaded with EMG's superb, low-impedance J pickups. Guy's original got an active upgrade during early rehearsals with Pink Floyd in August '87. "I said to my tech, Syd Price, one day, ‘These pickups are a bit quiet, maybe we should think about getting some new ones?’ - and the next morning, it had EMGs in it. I shouted ‘What the f*ck have you done? You can’t put EMGs in a ’64 Jazz!’ but when I plugged it in, it sounded amazing!"

Edited by Mister RLP

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hie, 

I'm very interested with that Betsy Jazz Bass. To the owners here:

1/ are the EMG active pickups really noiseless / hum-cancelling? 

2/ Is a low action adjustment possible? 

3/ do you change the Bass Centre strings? What is your opinion about that strings (Player ou Stadium). 

Best 4 U, 

Sebastien 

Popped in to see what the general opinion of these basses was and I'm seeing what I expected. Tempted to give one a go.

14 hours ago, sebrouxxx said:

3/ do you change the Bass Centre strings? What is your opinion about that strings (Player ou Stadium). 

Saw this point and will say that the Stadium Elite strings from Bass Centre have been my absolute favourites on any bass for quite some time now. Sound a little zingy when they first go on, but settle in really nicely.

14 hours ago, sebrouxxx said:

Hie, 

Best 4 U, 

Sebastien 

The EMGs are really noiseless. I have them in several basses.

The original J series EMGs were designed to sound like 1960s fender pickups, and they do. They are not super hot output like more modern pickups, they are just a great J sound.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 21:30, sebrouxxx said:

Hie, 

Best 4 U, 

Sebastien 

The Betsy is an incredibly well made jazz bass. Still very impressed. 

1) The EMG pickups are not noisy. 

2) The action came low and well set up from the Bass Centre where I believe they are set up again before shipping. 

3) The original strings are still on the bass which is unusual for me as I normally change strings on basses straight away. The Elites are great. 

• Like 1

Hello all - first time poster here.
I was following this thread for a long time as I was interested in a Betsy bass.

I picked one up at the end of 2020 and I was very impressed by it.
I did not get it direct from the bass centre - and as a result I think it missed the setup stage (didn't have the book either - but I already had a signed copy from Guy's stand up shows). I ended up taking it to a local tech for a fret dress/level (to get the action as low as possible) and to have a bone nut made (I prefer to the plastic nuts). The sound and playability was comparable to my '62 AVRI jazz bass.

Later on I decided to replace the tuners to Fender reverse tuners - this was just because I was used to how the Fenders worked.

I used it extensively once lockdown restrictions were lifted. It had a solid two years of gigging in my function bands and it never let me down!

Pickups are amazing - to the point I have now gone and actually loaded my 62 AVRI with some!

I only wish they had a nitro offering so that it would wear over time.
Fantastic value for money - and a great bass if you don't want to take out an expensive model!

• Like 2

My first ever real/proper bass was a 4 string bass collection , it really was an exceptional instrument which I must have played 1000+ gigs with it. 
i went on to buy a 5 string version of same bass and continued for years with that. 
gotta be one of the most underrated basses out there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wonky2 said:

My first ever real/proper bass was a 4 string bass collection , it really was an exceptional instrument which I must have played 1000+ gigs with it. 
i went on to buy a 5 string version of same bass and continued for years with that. 
gotta be one of the most underrated basses out there. 

I was blown away by the bass when it arrived. Superb bass in qc, looks and sound. I think also it helps that it is set up really well at the Bass Centre before being shipped. And you can contact them and let them know your preferences too. I called another time about their fretless jazz and they were really chuffed when I used their colour ‘solar flare’, which was great. They are still excited about basses and their products. Always a good sign. I also asked if they were going to do a Herbie Flowers signature…

Edited by Mister RLP
  • Like 1