Why become a member? ×

I solved this riddle a few posts back. You have the option of a Babiscz bridge at 495 or standard bridge at 395. 

• "Super Slim Sixties" neck profile
  • New, light weight, balanced body contour
  • Vintage spec pickup
  • Matching headstock
  • Mirrored pickguard
  • Chrome "Ashtray" bridge cover
  • Available with upgraded Babicz Full Contact Bridge

8 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Is the Guy Pratt bass reliced? The control plate looks worn on the backside.

Nope. Just what the underside of the control plate looks like. I really like the Flea bass that's reliced as they (along with the roadworn series) seem to have a better tone and can be a bit lighter in weight. I also live new shiny basses like this one. 

Edited by Mister RLP

Neck

The neck is really comfortable and in shape and feel is not too dissimilar to the Flea. They are both based on 60s basses – a ’64 (Betsy) and a ’61 (Flea) – with the Betsy having a Super Slim Sixties’ Profile. I’m not usually a fan of satin necks as all of my guitars and basses, by complete chance, have had either glossy necks or painted ones. However, I really like this one. It is smooth to the touch and easy to play. It feels right. The frets are well dressed and there are no sharp ends. It is easy to play. The frets are medium and are larger than the vintage-style thinner ones on the Flea. The Macassar Ebony fingerboard looks lovely and I prefer it to the lighter Pau Ferro on some basses at the moment. 

Hardware

The four bolt engraved chrome neck plate has the new Bass Centre logo on it, which is a nice touch.  The vintage control knobs have screws to attach them rather than pull on/off ones. The bridge, like the Flea bass, has a traditional roller bridge and the tuners are more substantial than my Matt Freeman P Bass. 

Body

The body is rather lovely. It’s a burgundy mist (pink) with matching headstock. The fit between the body and neck is perfect. No gaps here. The paint job is great and I think I can just see the wood grain. Really like the headstock that has ‘Betsy’ and Guy Pratt’s signature on it. The headstock is fairly close to the Flea bass compared to some of the other BC basses. It’s a good weight – about the same as the Flea. The body on the Betsy seems a bit more substantial, a little bit thicker? 

Pickups and Strings

Now here’s the interesting bit. I rather like both the strings (Bass Centre Elites Stadium Series Roundwound Standard Gauge .045 - .065 - .085 - .105) and the EMG Pickups. I usually use flatwounds or nylon tapewounds and only roundwounds if playing in the pit band of a musical if needed. (I have the Flea to play 50s/60s music - ideal for 'Hairspray' and 'West Side Story' - and the Betsy for more contemporary musicals like 'Billy Eliot' and 'Our House'. Likewise, when playing in our band - the two basses cover both contemporary and non-contemporary songs.) This is a bit of a game changer. The strings and the EMGs (powered by a 9 volt battery under the control plate – just like the real Betsy) are really consistent and I haven’t yet heard any buzzing. Are EMGs noise cancelling? Not sure. Anyone help here, as I've never had a bass with EMGs or with a battery?

Price

The cost of the Betsy is £595. The Flea bass is nearly twice the price. I am glad and lucky to have both but would be more than happy if I just had the Betsy as it is a really well made and fantastically sounding bass in its own right. 

What next? 

On the basis of how good this bass is I am now sorely tempted to go with a fretless Jive after playing the Betsy for a few days. 

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

Edited by Mister RLP
  • Like 2

Very cool. I'd never heard of these so after reading your post I googled and had a read of the website and a look at some of the basses and I was expecting them to be a couple of grand each so was surprised to see the great prices. I'm not sure about the headstock shape and I'm annoyingly picky about things like that (put me off G&L and Sire for example).

Re: Guy Pratt himself, I don't think I've heard anyone else mention it for this reason but his playing on Gilmour's "Rattle That Lock" album is some of my favourite sounding bass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thegummy said:

Very cool. I'd never heard of these so after reading your post I googled and had a read of the website and a look at some of the basses and I was expecting them to be a couple of grand each so was surprised to see the great prices. I'm not sure about the headstock shape and I'm annoyingly picky about things like that (put me off G&L and Sire for example).

Oops - I forgot to mention the price of the bass and the shape of the headstock of the Betsy bass. Will add to the review later. Both very attractive. The headstock is fairly close to the Flea bass compared to some of the other BC basses. 

Edited by Mister RLP

Just now, Mister RLP said:

Goops - I forgot to mention the price of the bass and the shape of the headstock of the Betsy bass. Will add to the review later. Both very attractive. The headstock is fairly close to the Flea bass compared to some of the other BC basses. 

Was going to say that - it looks a lot nicer compared to some of their others

• Like 1

Re: Guy Pratt himself, I don't think I've heard anyone else mention it for this reason but his playing on Gilmour's "Rattle That Lock" album is some of my favourite sounding bass.

Agree. Love 'Rattle That Lock' - especially the title song (cool video as well) and 'Today'. He's covered 'Today' on his Lockdown videos. Be good if he could do 'Rattle That Lock'. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Stunner! Congratulations! 

I love the look without the pickguard too. Looks ace with the all black EMGs.

Have fun!

Thanks. First experience of EMGs. Really loving them. Now, what would the Flea bass sound like with them in...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

What was the real thing like to play? 

From what i remember very good. Although just hanging out with Guy at the Manson's stand at their guitar show was better. It was then end of the show and he was hanging around as he had a stand up gig in Exeter that evening. We kept him company for a while and i bought his book which he signed for me.

• Like 1

I seriously considered one of these for a while. I had my Jazz Bass stolen a few months ago and needed a replacement. I ended up going for the Fender Vintera 60's instead, with the rationale that I prefer flats on a Jazz and use it for the more 'vintage' numbers in our set, with my Lakland covering the modern tones. To me the passive alnico pickups in the Fender trumped the Betsy here. But always had some doubts, particularly as I love Guy's work.

Hearing that yours arrived well set up and in tune does give me a bit of buyer's regret. My Fender was not set up whatsoever. Zero tension in the truss road, intonation all over the place. I got it setup how I wanted, but it was fairing time consuming, given the truss rod adjustment at the heel, requiring removal of the neck.

Anyway, really good that you're enjoying this - it looks a great bass! Once I start gigging again and my gear fund gets topped up, I may end up acquiring one of these myself.

George

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 12:31, geoham said:

I seriously considered one of these for a while. I had my Jazz Bass stolen a few months ago and needed a replacement. I ended up going for the Fender Vintera 60's instead, with the rationale that I prefer flats on a Jazz and use it for the more 'vintage' numbers in our set, with my Lakland covering the modern tones. To me the passive alnico pickups in the Fender trumped the Betsy here. But always had some doubts, particularly as I love Guy's work.

Hearing that yours arrived well set up and in tune does give me a bit of buyer's regret. My Fender was not set up whatsoever. Zero tension in the truss road, intonation all over the place. I got it setup how I wanted, but it was fairing time consuming, given the truss rod adjustment at the heel, requiring removal of the neck.

Anyway, really good that you're enjoying this - it looks a great bass! Once I start gigging again and my gear fund gets topped up, I may end up acquiring one of these myself.

George

Hi George. Sorry to hear about your bass. The swines!

Completely 'get' going with Fender Vintera 60's + flats and a Lakland covering the modern tones. One of the best basses that I have every heard (apart from lots others, of course) was a green Lakland p-bass in Guitar Guitar. Almost bought it. (Not sure if it sounded good because it was green like some on this forum might suggest!) However, I walked out with a Fender Standard Fretless. I had been listening to Jaco on the drive up to Epsom...Mistake. 

I think the setup of these basses and pickups are done in house in the UK before being shipped out. Yep - just checked:

Completing the circle, every new Betsy bass will have its pickups installed and be set up by none other than Chris Ward, still taking care of business in the Bass Centre workshop after 35 years!!

Might explain why the set up was good and the action was low. I am really enjoying it as it has surprised me. I am a real lover of 60s/70s music and thought that flat rounds were all that was needed. My experience of round wounds (especially on Jazzes) have been they are too bright and brittle - if that makes sense. However, I am finding the Betsy different. The Elites are sounding good. It has punch - for sure - but it just sounds great. Right, if that makes sense. I love the EMGs, too. I can really connect with the sound the bass is making.  

Edited by Mister RLP

14 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

Hi George. Sorry to hear about your bass. The swines!

Completely 'get' going with Fender Vintera 60's + flats and a Lakland covering the modern tones. One of the best basses that I have every heard (apart from lots others, of course) was a green Lakland p-bass in Guitar Guitar. Almost bought it. (Not sure if it sounded good because it was green like some on this forum might suggest!) However, I walked out with a Fender Standard Fretless. I had been listening to Jaco on the drive up to Epsom...Mistake. 

I think the setup of these basses and pickups are done in house in the UK before being shipped out. Yep - just checked:

Completing the circle, every new Betsy bass will have its pickups installed and be set up by none other than Chris Ward, still taking care of business in the Bass Centre workshop after 35 years!!

Might explain why the set up was good and the action was low. I am really enjoying it as it has surprised me. I am a real lover of 60s/70s music and thought that flat rounds were all that was needed. My experience of round wounds (especially on Jazzes) have been they are too bright and brittle - if that makes sense. However, I am finding the Betsy different. The Elites are sounding good. It has punch - for sure - but it just sounds great. Right, if that makes sense. I love the EMGs, too. I can really connect with the sound the bass is making.  

I'm perhaps being a touch harsh... I bought the bass from PMT, and shipping was slightly delayed due to the Covid-19 situation. It appears they shipped it to me as soon as they received it, it was still in the original Fender shipping box. It may be that PMT would have set it before shipping under different circumstances. The main thing is, it's set up exactly how I like it now and really is a great sounding bass.

I've owned two Fenders from new before (purchased from McCormacks in Glasgow in 2003, and Wunjo in 2013), and both were set up reasonably well. Though I suppose that's the risk you take when buying online vs in-store. There is a clear incentive for a bricks and mortar shop to set something up before selling it. Though I recall taking my son to buy his first guitar and he tried an entry level Epiphone Les Paul. We said we'd take it, and they salesman brought us a new one, still in the box - suggesting it would be in better condition than the one from the wall. It needed a little work when we got it home - my kid noticed a huge difference after I sorted the relief and action. In hindsight, I guess they must sell quite a lot of those entry level guitars and setting one up nicely makes sense to them.

Anyway - I digress. I still have GAS for a Betsy...

George

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Seems a very solid review of this bass.

Would like to see it next to the Sire in the similar colour and just to see how it stacks up. Always good to have choice around the £500 mark 

Here's my Sire V7 in the burgundy colour - its a very accurate colour representation and i think it's a tiny bit less pink and a bit more grey than Betsy. I just took delivery of it a few days ago. Betsy was on the shopping list but i read up on these and thought i would give it a go as it was available immediately and the colour seems to be getting hard to find in this spec (Alder/Ebony). It's a fabulous bass at a stupid low price - I can't put it down and how they do it for c£400 i don't know. A brilliant neck (i'm getting used to the headstock shape) with rolled edges, excellent setup straight out of the box, the pickups and preamp are awesome. The only little niggle was a slightly sharp bridge saddle edge that 2 mins with a file sorted out. And a Betsy is still on my list....

IMG_20200618_100741.jpg

IMG_20200618_100805.jpg

IMG_20200618_100832.jpg

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Thanks for that @Mudpup

I'm coming round to pink/purple basses so one of these could be on the list. 

Could you rock the Sire without a pickguard, as in is the routing round the neck pickup neat enough to get away with it? 

No idea sorry - haven't taken it off 🙂