Why become a member? ×

Taking your bass on a plane

Twigman

I have a 5star case for my precision which used to have a hasp on it which allowed me to padlock it when I went on tour and had to stick it in the hold of a plane.
This hasp has broken over the years and I will need to fly with this bass and case in a couple of weeks.
I really don't want to drill the remains of the old hasp off and put a new one on - too much hassle.

How do you guys keep your basses secure when flying with them?

Will a leather belt around the case be adequate security these days?

Advice please.

Travel business class. You can take it onto the plane with you. :)

But seriously, last time I flew with my bass in the SKB BassSafe, I found the locks busted open and the internal leather patches on the gig bag slashed open when I arrived at the other end.

Apparently padlocks are a no-no. But then how do you keep people from stealing your stuff?

So, I don't have a solution, unfortunately.

[quote name='jmesa' post='431461' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:34 PM']Slack the strings off otherwise you may snap the neck proper style![/quote]
why's this then? I can't see how air pressure will make any difference to the forces in the neck, or is this general advice for any kind of long distance travel?

[quote name='The Funk' post='431447' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:09 PM']Travel business class. You can take it onto the plane with you. :)

But seriously, last time I flew with my bass in the SKB BassSafe, I found the locks busted open and the internal leather patches on the gig bag slashed open when I arrived at the other end.

Apparently padlocks are a no-no. But then how do you keep people from stealing your stuff?

So, I don't have a solution, unfortunately.[/quote]

If you can't get it on the plane itself, gate check is your friend.

[quote name='SteveO' post='431467' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:38 PM']why's this then? I can't see how air pressure will make any difference to the forces in the neck, or is this general advice for any kind of long distance travel?[/quote]

Happened to an old mate. Snapped his Telecaster neck good and proper.

Padlocks are an absolute no-no if you're flying to/from/in the US, that's for certain. It's more and more the case in general these days too. The best bet is to use a [url="http://www.tripneeds.com/3dial-high-security-cable-tsa-lock-p-69.html"]TSA lock[/url]. These allow those awfully nice customs people to rummage around in your bag without having to smash it all open.

[quote name='Rich' post='431486' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:51 PM']Padlocks are an absolute no-no if you're flying to/from/in the US, that's for certain. It's more and more the case in general these days too. The best bet is to use a [url="http://www.tripneeds.com/3dial-high-security-cable-tsa-lock-p-69.html"]TSA lock[/url]. These allow those awfully nice customs people to rummage around in your bag without having to smash it all open.[/quote]
That would require the addition of a hasp to the case though.

How is that any different from a padlock anyway?

Customs officers have keys which allow them access to TSA locks. They don't have the keys to an ordinary padlock you've just bought from B&Q, which is why they would not hesitate to cut it off if they wanted access to the case.
When you ask "Will a leather belt around the case be adequate security these days?", what sort of security are you talking about? Enough to stop the case coming open accidentally? Probably. Enough to stop someone either nicking your pride and joy or worse still, slipping something dodgy into the case? Absolutely not.
At the end of the day it's your bass, your case, up to you really. If you don't want to put a new hasp on the case, don't. But don't expect a leather or elastic strap to keep you or it safe.

[quote name='Rich' post='431526' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:14 PM']Customs officers have keys which allow them access to TSA locks. They don't have the keys to an ordinary padlock you've just bought from B&Q, which is why they would not hesitate to cut it off if they wanted access to the case.
When you ask "Will a leather belt around the case be adequate security these days?", what sort of security are you talking about? Enough to stop the case coming open accidentally? Probably. Enough to stop someone either nicking your pride and joy or worse still, slipping something dodgy into the case? Absolutely not.
At the end of the day it's your bass, your case, up to you really. If you don't want to put a new hasp on the case, don't. But don't expect a leather or elastic strap to keep you or it safe.[/quote]

Ok thanks for that
I was unaware of the TSA approval thing.

I have bought one of these:
[url="http://www.tripneeds.com/prosafe-900-tsa-lock-with-opened-indicator-lime-green-p-219.html"]http://www.tripneeds.com/prosafe-900-tsa-l...reen-p-219.html[/url]
and will fit a new hasp.

Thanks

please make sure you put your bass in a good sturdy case...
i fly quite often,locks are not a problem...all i do is put gaffa tape over the locks,incase they get bumped and open...if "they" want to open your case they will..
i hardly ever find that theyve been messed with...as usually they will open the case infront of you at the over sized baggage drop off,if they need to...

the case is important tho.....ive had 3 basses broken before on flights...i flew them in their original cases...
i was once told also "if it shakes it brakes" so make sure your bass is tighly secured inside!

hope it works out whatever you chose to do

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one... I'm flying back to the UK for a visit tomorrow, and I'm planning on bringing my lovely Sei Bass with me. I've flown with it in its hard case quite a few times and not had any problems as yet, but there's always a first time... not sure I trust those baggage handlers with a £2500+ bass. :)

I was thinking of just bringing it onto the plane in its gig bag as hand baggage and getting them to stick it in the coat locker or something, since you're now allowed to bring more than one piece of hand baggage again. Plus having it in its gig bag would make it easier to carry around with me when I get there. Anyone got any experience of doing this? The flight is from Newark (USA) to Heathrow on BA.

[quote name='Russ' post='437959' date='Mar 18 2009, 04:54 AM']I was thinking of just bringing it onto the plane in its gig bag as hand baggage and getting them to stick it in the coat locker or something, since you're now allowed to bring more than one piece of hand baggage again. Plus having it in its gig bag would make it easier to carry around with me when I get there. Anyone got any experience of doing this? The flight is from Newark (USA) to Heathrow on BA.[/quote]
I did this once on a BA flight, many years ago, with a bass I bought in Jakarta. They stuck it in the coat locker and it was fine. But that was 1994 and obviously things have changed. If you turn up at check-in with your gig bag and they say you've got to check your bass as hold luggage...

I think most of the options have been covered already, but here's my advice.

Call the airline before hand and see if you can arrange to take the bass with you in a gig bag. It should fit in most overhead lockers (I believe the maximum length is about 1.4m or thereabouts - but you have to check), but they should be able to confirm this. As someone already suggested, gate check may be another option, though not guaranteed.

Many people advise slackening of your strings - this is not to do with temperature but pressure, since it gets very cold in the luggage hold. This can play havoc with your strings and truss rod, so best to take this simple precaution. Similarly, I've heard advice that you shouldn't open your case until an hour or two after you get there, to let the bass adjust gradually to the ambient temperature. I'm not sure if that's a definite issue, but that makes some sense, so worth following.

Lastly you need a very strong case. Baggage-handling staff have no interest in handling your luggage carefully - they just want to sling it on/off the plane as quickly as possible. Even if you have 'Fragile' stickers on your case. A hard-plastic case (such as a Hiscox) may not be enough, since I've heard of them getting smashed up during transit and in fact, my guitarist got the corner cracked off his Alligator case when we went to Spain (fortunately, his guitar was okay). There was a great thread on here listing all the possibilities, but if you already have a decent case, then no need to worry.

It's really not worth taking any unnecessary risks with your pride and joy.

The MU have lobbied for their members to be able to take instruments aboard as hand luggage. It's still a bit of a lottery though with inconsistent policies across airlines and countries. But as a member you have more chance than a non-member.

I have no experience with instruments but I have experience with camera equipment. We took roughly 300 grands worth of equipment and put it all through as luggage. didnt lock any of it but used cable ties.
It all went swimmingly however, one of the crew managed to pick up an 80 grand lens from some other company...(apparrently it was on its way to a Madonna video shoot)
I'll point out that all the kit was in peli cases with custom cut foam. they are virtually indestructible.
If I ever need to take a guitar abroad, Im getting a peli case!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='438337' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:19 PM']The New SKB cases that come with the 2008 USA Fenders have these TSA locks on them.

Twigman, let me konw if you want to borrow it as i dont use it.[/quote]

Is that one of these:
[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/42250/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/42250/[/url]
if it is might you wish to sell it?

I have a Mepal 5star hard case which I used to use back in the 80s to fly my bass around Europe - I'm a little concerned that it is not robust enough see attached pic

Flying April 7th so got to sort something (at hopefully minimal £££ - I bought the Mrs a £15k kitchen last month) quick

I am sorely tempted by this beauty:
[url="http://www.gothardflightcases.co.uk/10313/info.php?p=11&pno=0&pid=1659177&cat=&ack=9&search=&sought="]http://www.gothardflightcases.co.uk/10313/...ch=&sought=[/url]

Edited by Twigman

It looks the same as the one in the DV247 link but the picture is quite small so i cant be 100%
I agree, it doesnt look like it will take a lot of rough handling but other owners over on TB seem to think it will (or should).
That fitted one looks great though.

Im not interested in selling it as I will be using it at some point (and as it comes with the bass ill get more money when i sell it) but if it helps your welcome to borrow it for your trip (you are coming back aren't you ;-)
Personally i would get the one above.

This is mine

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='438363' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:46 PM']it helps your welcome to borrow it for your trip (you are coming back aren't you ;-)[/quote]

i am coming back yeah and then flying again 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't want to borrow it and then have it smashed or lost - I've got to sort my own solution.

It looks like there are further Euro gigs in negotiation for later in the year - the fee is the only sticking point atm - holding out for minimum €6k a night :).....maybe I can afford the fitted case. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Twigman' post='438371' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:53 PM']i am coming back yeah and then flying again 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't want to borrow it and then have it smashed or lost - I've got to sort my own solution.

It looks like there are further Euro gigs in negotiation for later in the year - the fee is the only sticking point atm - holding out for minimum €6k a night :).....maybe I can afford the fitted case. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah i understand. While im not worried about it getting bashed i would hate it to get destroyed or lost.

For 6K a night i would just buy a bass out there. Each night ;-)

Have a good one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='438417' date='Mar 18 2009, 04:20 PM']For 6K a night i would just buy a bass out there. Each night ;-)[/quote]
That's between 5 of us...

Curious now might start a thread on how much bands charge - the forthcoming 3 gigs are being done for half that fee each.

I've travelled a fair bit on planes and the SKB Bass Safe works really well. It's just a big tube with wheels on it - you put your bass in a gig bag in the case. It's real easy to move around and when you get to your destination you can just use the gig bag:

[url="http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_has_wheels-1-75&id=13&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75#"]http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/pro...;c=75&s=75#[/url]
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/strings.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/strings.html[/url]

I've never slackened off my strings and had no problems so far. Anyone else a firm believer in slackening?!

Andrew