Why become a member? ×

Peavey Alpha Bass

shine182

Ok so, I've just purchased an ashdown stubby and right out of the box I'm having issues. To be fair ashdown are being helpful and are offering an exchange and or tec advice to try resolve etc due to the issue that likely occurred in transit, but I came across a old add post for a peavey alpha bass and it sounds right up my ally so to speak. Anyone have any experience of owning one? 

Thanks 

Yup, I have one (might've been my old post you saw).  Lovely amp and just at the right wattage to be able to drive the valves without ever wanting for clean headroom.  Not massively heavy compared to other valve heads.  Can be had for a decent price and doesn't cost the earth to revalve.  Heres a few shots of mine

A790550B-5F85-468B-A16A-0449045D01EC.jpeg

964DBF7C-6699-403B-A0AB-2FFBA87E416C.jpeg

1FE5035B-2873-4836-AF98-14A8998B1193.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1

On 17/06/2020 at 12:55, Pow_22 said:

Yup, I have one (might've been my old post you saw).  Lovely amp and just at the right wattage to be able to drive the valves without ever wanting for clean headroom.  Not massively heavy compared to other valve heads.  Can be had for a decent price and doesn't cost the earth to revalve.  Heres a few shots of mine

A790550B-5F85-468B-A16A-0449045D01EC.jpeg

964DBF7C-6699-403B-A0AB-2FFBA87E416C.jpeg

1FE5035B-2873-4836-AF98-14A8998B1193.jpeg

That looks like a lovely piece of kit! It's gone from bad to worse with the Ashdown. If only these alpha bass heads were more readily available! 

I have been tempted to part with it a couple of times, even listing it here once but when i plug it in a just cant part with it. Always wanted an Ampeg V4B (had a V4BH) and I guess thats the only thing i might let it go for.

• Like 1

Yes I played a V4BH for years though a 1x15 and 2x10 SVT cab. I thought it was a great amp. The trick was just to max out the bass, run the gain about 2 o'clock, dial mids and treble to suit and turn the master till it got gooey :). Similarly played a Soundcity 120B for years with the same cabs and occasionally an old 8x10 SVT I had. That was a totally different beast. I found jumper leading the channels worked a treat as each lacked either treble or bass, but together we're very usable. You got any recordings of the alpha bass? I be interested to hear! 

I picked up an AlphaBass a few months back.  Really enjoying it so far. and great for my needs.  Don't need masses of power, but don't want anything too small that distorts too early.  Like Pow_22 says, it's reasonably lightweight and has a good general tone.  It doesn't seem too coloured like an SVT, but it also isn't super clean and sterile sounding.  Just a nice medium.  Don't know if you use effects, but it handles drive and fuzz pedals nicely.  I use a Damnation MDB-1 with mine to add a bit of grit.  

Not had chance to try it with the band yet, but don't anticipate any problems. I've been really getting to older Peavey gear lately.  Often maligned, but good quality, USA-made stuff that's tough as old boots.  Can't argue with the prices either.

8nnZsJt.jpg

Edited by umcoo
  • Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 19:21, umcoo said:

I picked up an AlphaBass a few months back.  Really enjoying it so far. and great for my needs.  Don't need masses of power, but don't want anything too small that distorts too early.  Like Pow_22 says, it's reasonably lightweight and has a good general tone.  It doesn't seem too coloured like an SVT, but it also isn't super clean and sterile sounding.  Just a nice medium.  Don't know if you use effects, but it handles drive and fuzz pedals nicely.  I use a Damnation MDB-1 with mine to add a bit of grit.  

Not had chance to try it with the band yet, but don't anticipate any problems. I've been really getting to older Peavey gear lately.  Often maligned, but good quality, USA-made stuff that's tough as old boots.  Can't argue with the prices either.

8nnZsJt.jpg

Can I ask what kind of figure you got it for? I see one on reverb now for £500, but that's alot more than I've seen previously. Not saying they are not worth that mind! 

Id say £500 isnt miles away.  If its the one from Amp Broker it will be fully serviced too. I paid £250 for mine in a non working state so by the time id sourced original peavey knobs, full new set of power valves, peavey 3u rackbag then im probably not THAT far off £500 and the one on reverb looks in better cosmetic nick than mine

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:05, shine182 said:

Can I ask what kind of figure you got it for? I see one on reverb now for £500, but that's alot more than I've seen previously. Not saying they are not worth that mind! 

I paid just over 300 I think. No more than 350, including shipping from Germany too. 

Going to invest in a good head case for it I think. Not sure if I'd pay 500 for just the amp, as much as I like it. 

• Like 1