Why become a member? ×

Vintage Bridge vs Hi Mass Bridge

ClassicVibes

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

What advantages does a hi mass bridge have over a BBOT bridge? 

Well, we haven’t had this one for a while…

The main advantage that a hi-mass bridge has over a BBOT is that you get longer note decays when using a brass bridge, hence more sustain. Whether you want or need that little bit of extra sustain is another thing, as is whether you think it’s worth the extra weight / £80 to buy a decent hi-mass bridge. 

Many people like the vintage style / sound of the BBOT and a lot of people think that ‘Leo got it right first time’. But there’s a reason why so many people started fitting Badass bridges to their 70s Fenders when they came out (including me) and why Leo used a much more solid bridge when he broke free from Fender and started building Stingrays! Also note that modern American Standard Fender basses may look like they are wearing a BBOT, but they are in fact much sturdier.

It's all a matter of what you prefer... 

Edited by peteb

I went through the swapping to hi-mass bridges a few years back, and although not massively different I felt that the mids were somehow slightly subdued and both top and bottom end made a tad sharper, so making the sound slightly more modern. And my overall thoughts were I preferred the sound with the BBOT bridges, so they went back in and I sold the hi-mass ones. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, peteb said:

The main advantage that a hi-mass bridge has over a BBOT is that you get longer note decays when using a brass bridge, hence more sustain. Whether you want or need that little bit of extra sustain is another thing, as is whether you think it’s worth the extra weight / £80 to buy a decent hi-mass bridge. 

Debatable.

Sustain is a function of how quickly the vibrations of the string dissipate through the rest of the instrument and is based on the mass of the instrument and how flexible the body, neck and anything else the strings may be attached to are. As a percentage of the overall bass weight the additional weight of the high mass bridge is negligible. The only way a high mass bridge could affect the sustain would be if the original bridge was not securely attached to the body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Stability in which way? Better sustain has already been mentioned, what sort of stability are you referring to?

Stability of the saddles themselves? Most replacement bridges are better engineered and hold the saddles firmly in place, whereas they can wander a bit on the simple BBOT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pineweasel said:

Stability of the saddles themselves? Most replacement bridges are better engineered and hold the saddles firmly in place, whereas they can wander a bit on the simple BBOT.

If you play fast enough, no one will notice.

*Reader: I do not play fast enough.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Debatable.

Sustain is a function of how quickly the vibrations of the string dissipate through the rest of the instrument and is based on the mass of the instrument and how flexible the body, neck and anything else the strings may be attached to are. As a percentage of the overall bass weight the additional weight of the high mass bridge is negligible. The only way a high mass bridge could affect the sustain would be if the original bridge was not securely attached to the body.

Surely the only thing that is debatable is to what extent it affects the sustain? Replace the BBOT on an old (not particularly well made by modern standards) Fender and you can (or at least, you should be able to) notice the difference.

The following is from Hipshot on the pros and cons of hi-mass (i.e. brass) bridges. Please note that Hipshot also make lo-mass (aluminium) bridges (as well as better engineered versions of the BBOT) so they have no reason to guild the lily (they also do a pro and cons list for the aluminium model): 

Advantages and disadvantages of BRASS bridges

You’ve probably heard many times from many people that brass bridges have great sustain. Do they? Yes, they do. You can get nice long note decays when using a brass bridge, however there are a few tradeoffs to this.

Brass is a dense and heavy metal as it is made of copper and zinc (and possibly a small amount of tin depending on brass type). As such, most of the string vibration stays within the bridge and is not transferred out to the body because of its high mass content. The advantage is that you’ll get great sustain for your notes, but the disadvantage is that your tone won’t have as much punch in a mix.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

I swap out the bridges on my main gigging Precision's to Gotoh 201 bridges, I find them more comfortable if I am palm muting and I have had a couple of bridge failures at gigs over the years where a grub screw that has been stable for years has suddenly decided to unwind during a set leaving a flappy out of tune string sitting right on the fret board, I have never had that with a Gotoh bridge.

Does it give more sustain or change the sound in any way.....not that I have noticed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I remember someone on here, must've been 5+ years ago, did an A/B with a BBOT & a BA2 - same bass, same strings etc, and the consensus from the clips was that the BBOT sounded marginally better. Hope I'm not hallucinating that.

I like hi-mass bridges largely because they look better, I'm hard pushed to hear any difference at all. I do have a few basses with Schaller 3Ds, being able to adjust string spacing, mostly for accuracy over pickup poles, can be a benefit.

I prefer the visual aesthetic of a BadAss or whatever the Hipshot is called (KickAss).  These feel nicer under your palm - I've never been cut on the wrist by a BadAss/KickAss.  Better (and possibly more stable) adjustability.  Beyond that, I honestly doubt they provide anything more, tonally or otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I swap out the bridges on my main gigging Precision's to Gotoh 201 bridges, I find them more comfortable if I am palm muting and I have had a couple of bridge failures at gigs over the years where a grub screw that has been stable for years has suddenly decided to unwind during a set leaving a flappy out of tune string sitting right on the fret board, I have never had that with a Gotoh bridge.

Does it give more sustain or change the sound in any way.....not that I have noticed 

Exactly the same for me. I also  like that they are 19mm string spacing. Some of the basses ive replaced the bridge on were 20mm. 

• Like 1

I did the whole two bridges one bass thing some time ago. The difference - for me - was negligible when I was in a room on my own. The difference with a band? Infinitess........infinatess.........infinti.....so small as to be not there - for me.

For the record, going from 9v to 18v on my EMG pre-amp was equally underwhelming. There - I said it.

• Like 1