Why become a member? ×

Going from tapewound strings to normal strings

Brook_fan

Has anyone on here gone from thick tapewound strings (in my case La Bella 760G) back to standard gauge strings?  In which case did your nut require any further work, or even replacement?

My dilemma is that I want to try my acoustic bass with Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings again, which are gauges 0.100, 0.080, 0.060 and 0.045  When I tried the la bellas I had my nut widened to take the increased guages (0.115, 0.094, 0.070, 0.060) as the strings were all about 0.014 wider than normal.  

Now that I would like to go back I am thinking I am going to have to have a nut remade for me.  The luthier who built the bass has told me just to try it with the narrower gauges anyway.  What do you think?  That extra width is the size of a 1st string on an acoustic guitar, and I am thinking the strings would wobble around in the slots a bit too much.

Robbie

Edited by Brook_fan

Change the strings and see what happens. You could be OK, you might need to adjust the bridge saddles but even if it's not perfect, I doubt you'll make the bass unplayable. If you really can't play the bass with rounds, then is the right time to decide if you need a new nut.

• Like 1

If the modified nut was filed properly, with round edge files, then there's a chance the smaller strings will settle into the bottom of their slots OK without moving about too much or even noticeably. Try it! As said if you do like the smaller rounds then get a new nut to make it right.

• Like 1

You may find the string tension does mitigate against them 'wobbling around' at the nut. If you think about it, the nut is quite a long distance from where you pluck the strings and the bridge ( which as we know is fixed) is likely to have more impact by holding them in place? As said above, try it and see!

• Like 1