Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar for 10 year old

medflyer

My daughter got an Ibanez Mikro when she was 9 and it's still going strong a couple of years later.

2 hours ago, medflyer said:

What else do I need to order? 

Amplifier, ...?

Any suggestions? 

Amp

Instrument Cable (may be included with the bass )

A decent strap (wide enough to spread the weight of the bass and not too long.).

A tuner

I have played a lot of short scale basses in my seemingly never ending search for the short scale fretted bass and I'd say the Gretsch G2220 trumps both the Squier and the Talman hands down. It's a little heavy for it's size but the plus is that it won't be outgrown, great instruments for the price.

As has already been mentioned, you cannot go wrong with the Ibanez Mikro, it's 28 and a half inch scale makes it just slightly larger than a regular 6 string guitar.

*Shameless sale plug*, but I have one for sale which I bought with the intention of teaching my son but unfortunately, he wasn't interested in playing. Drop me a line if you're tempted :)

• Like 3

If he is a bit of a rocker, you could have a look at the Jackson minion. 28 scale. I have heard good things about them. Also, in my opinion, Thomann do really well priced bundles - bass, amp, lead strap... There is a really cool 28 scale P bass on there too I think. I'll have a look now. 

50 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

The bass is a Harley Benton P bass, 30 scale not 28.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_shorty_bk_standard_set_2.htm

They also do the deal without the stand and tuner for 148 I think. I have used Thomann and can recommend them wholeheartedly. Loads of bundle deals on there for all budgets. 

Good call

Another +1 for the Ibanez Mikro - my daughters now 8 and 10 get on well with theirs. It's light, sounds and looks good and is great fun for me to play too! 🙂

Kids like to make noise so a practice amp will probably be the best call, but if it goes well keep an eye out for a headphone amp of some sort. Your son can practice and play along with songs on these by putting an Aux input into it from an audio source. I use a Zoom B3 but that has a lot of inbuilt effects which would probably be a bit too much of a distraction when starting out.

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I have played a lot of short scale basses in my seemingly never ending search for the short scale fretted bass and I'd say the Gretsch G2220 trumps both the Squier and the Talman hands down. It's a little heavy for it's size but the plus is that it won't be outgrown, great instruments for the price.

THats interesting - I'd say the other way round - I found the Gretsch's that I've played to be planks.  Had a student with a Mikro that was cool - I guess just a styling thing compared to the Talman in reality?

Thanks a lot for all of you !! Will have a chat with my sons guitar teacher and then I will let you know what we selected. 

Any suggestions for the amplifier? 

I googled a bit and found the 

Laney RB1 Richter.

Thought to take something lightweight for the start.. 

1 hour ago, medflyer said:

Thanks a lot for all of you !! Will have a chat with my sons guitar teacher and then I will let you know what we selected. 

Any suggestions for the amplifier? 

I googled a bit and found the 

Laney RB1 Richter.

Thought to take something lightweight for the start.. 

The Laney should do the job, although personally I’d go for a Fender Rumble 15 or 25. Really light but sound great. Like the Laney, both feature the all important headphone jack and also input for hooking up an auxiliary device such as phone/ tablet so they can silently jam along with their favourite tunes.😊

Short scale basses might seem like the logical suggestion, but kids younger than 10 learn on a full size piano without any trouble. There are plenty of YouTube videos of kids playing full size P basses, because a full size bass is easy to play, even with small hands, if you have the right technique. I'd suggest your 10 year old tries out some basses and chooses his own, but starting the same week you sign him up for one-to-one lessons so that he learns to play it correctly.

Just bought one of these in surf green for my 9 year old daughter...

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-SBL-Sonic-Blue/art-BAS0007170-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVcLXBGdI7WzfADzqGitLg6F3kn8ToPQPLw38JBh61z-KVEqe5wHCqYaAnXtEALw_wcB

I'm genuinely astonished at how beautifully finished it is and the decent materials used, including a solid alder body.  It's a steal at the price.

Edited by Bassfinger