Why become a member? ×

"Lightweight" Basses

Bernardo

I confess to having become a recent Sandberg convert. However, I also own a 7.8lb Stingray Special (Aqua sparkle) - have you tried the Stingray Special? Absolutely brilliant, more versatile than its predecessors and super light too. 

Edited by Raslee

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

I confess to having become a recent Sandberg convert. However, I also own a 7.8lb Stingray Special (Aqua sparkle) - have you tried the Stingray Special? Absolutely brilliant, more versatile than its predecessors and super light too. 

That’s what actually promoted my thoughts. When I saw they were round the 8lb mark I was interested. New they’re a bit over budget and there’s very few second hand about. Likewise the Sandberg SL basses. Few and far between. 

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Aren’t all shops allowed to open on Monday?

Maybe you can find somewhere that has as many of the ones you like in stock and have a noodle 

I’ll Google furiously but I can’t see there’ll be many Sandberg SLs or Elwood Ls close by. Bass Direct is a 5 hour round trip and I’m working. 

I can speak for Sandberg happily and say that if you haven’t tried one before, th  et are incredibly consistent across the range in terms or neck profile, they are all plek’d etc. If they have a MarloweDK in store - that is a different neck profile to the others.

There is a PMT in Leeds - you could try them and see - it may be that the feel is a non starter for you no matter what the weight is. I presume they would also have a Stingray Special to try to.

If you like a Sandy you may then opt for a blind buy new knowing you can in all likelihood send back, or jump on a used one if it becomes available?

May be a plan?

On 11/06/2020 at 08:23, Bernardo said:

Given back issues I want it to be relatively, whatever that means, lightweight.

How about the new  Warwick/Sadowsky MetroExpress basses. They are guaranteed to weigh less than 9lbs, and on a dark stage they won't look like a Fender at all.

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

How about the new  Warwick/Sadowsky MetroExpress basses. They are guaranteed to weigh less than 9lbs, and on a dark stage they won't look like a Fender at all.

I think I would rather grab a Japanese Metro Express whilst they're still available. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I can speak for Sandberg happily and say that if you haven’t tried one before, th  et are incredibly consistent across the range in terms or neck profile, they are all plek’d etc. If they have a MarloweDK in store - that is a different neck profile to the others.

There is a PMT in Leeds - you could try them and see - it may be that the feel is a non starter for you no matter what the weight is. I presume they would also have a Stingray Special to try to.

If you like a Sandy you may then opt for a blind buy new knowing you can in all likelihood send back, or jump on a used one if it becomes available?

May be a plan?

This is their Leeds stock. 

2E29155E-9160-46D2-BE20-A4CF50A79D77.jpeg

Sod it - went for the Redburst in Spain. Did more reading, thought about my back, what I need is something pretty versatile and ultra light that's of impeccable quality. Didn't think I'd get much better for the cash.

Now I have to think about the various things I could do with flogging to compensate US Telecaster anyone? How about a Sire V7, Danelectro 63 Long scale, Jack Casady Signature Epiphone in gold, Revelation RPB65, a Sterling Sub in Walnut, a Trio pedal or a Korg D1600 multitrack recorder, or even a Sheffield Wednesday season ticket anyone?!

45 minutes ago, Bernardo said:

Sod it - went for the Redburst in Spain. Did more reading, thought about my back, what I need is something pretty versatile and ultra light that's of impeccable quality. Didn't think I'd get much better for the cash.

Ooh, exciting times! Pics ASAP!