Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabinet question

Skatezero1982

Hello ! I am trying to decide on a cabinet for my ashdown Abm 1000 head, I have looked at the Mesa boogie powerhouse (but not many available d/t discontinued) , as well as the barefaced big twin and super twin. Anyone have any good advice about these cabinets? Thanks for any and all help

Ive only had experience with the big twin 2 and ashdown ABM 500. Really nice paring I found playing heavier doomy type stuff. I ended up rolling the tweeter off though so arguably I probably could have used a super twin and added a touch more low extension if needed. 

Did you mean big twin 2? The big twin is the first gen and I think there's very few that come up.

The big twins ultimately have more range lower to higher than the supers (ultra low and horn for the highs). But the supers are really really good cabs, with the range for most people's appetite. 

The ABM1000 is one of my favourite amps anyway, but I particularly enjoy running it through my generation two Super Twelve. I can’t imagine the current BF cabs being any less capable!

I had an ABM500-III and an ABM600-IV, and whilst they’re both long gone they left me with the impression that the 500 would benefit greatly from a cab that was easy for it to drive, and the 600 could drive most cabs well but wouldn’t overly tax anything half-decent. The 1000 really needs something that it can give a good kicking without upsetting it, and whilst I’ve seen criticism of BF cabs in terms of handles, feet, tolex glue, general aesthetics etc. I’ve not seen many say they have poor power handling!

I've just set up my ABM EVO III through my BF Super Compact (after playing a GK MB 800 through the same cab). 

That ABM doesn't half kick some butt. 

It may be heavier than 20 class D amps but it is definitely the REAL DEAL.

Edited by gjones

BF Big One followed by BF Dubster ( MORE bottom end and I use flats) since about 2010 . Both cabs have been great with a range of amps.   Current setup is Sansamp Leeds (or sometimes VT Deluxe) > QSC GX7 > BF Dubster.  I like plenty of low end, like to get the floor and walls moving in the building :)  Happy BF user here.  You have the added advantage of BF one month trial period if you buy new.

Edited by 3below
spelling!
  • Like 1

Having had two Powerhouse 2*10's and a Trace top for ever, I have taken my osteopath's advice and now am the proud owner of  2*10 and 1*10 Barefaced Cabs (plus a Mesa Boogie 800+, plus a Noble valve pre-amp).  I've yet to really push the Barefaced speakers (post lockdown), but am really looking forward to it.  The post sales advice/support from Barefaced seems to be everything it is described on this website.....and they're a local company to boot.  I am dead chuffed I made the move.

• Like 1

Had a ABM 500 with my BF four10 for a while. Worked great but I moved the amp on and kept the cab. 

IMO Ashdown ABM is an old-school amp. Why not pair it with a retro cab (10” drivers) rather than a FRFR hifi cab like the big twin?

On 14/06/2020 at 14:35, Piers_Williamson said:

Having had two Powerhouse 2*10's and a Trace top for ever, I have taken my osteopath's advice and now am the proud owner of  2*10 and 1*10 Barefaced Cabs (plus a Mesa Boogie 800+, plus a Noble valve pre-amp).  I've yet to really push the Barefaced speakers (post lockdown), but am really looking forward to it.  The post sales advice/support from Barefaced seems to be everything it is described on this website.....and they're a local company to boot.  I am dead chuffed I made the move.

I replaced two of my three Powerhouse cabs 2x10 & 4x10 for two barefaced cabs Big BabyII and Big Twin II and I'm completely happy with my choice. I still have the 1x15 to get rid of at some point as of the three PH cabs it's seen the least live action but somehow got more tolex tears than the other two. 
In my experience of BF cabs they really deliver the goods, bottom end is spot on. Clear, dense and too loud to stand next to if you turn it up. I got a used Dubster II from a member here and so got all the bass cover I could ever want. 

If you want an honest sounding cab I'd recommend the BT2 or one or more BB2's.  Even my band notice the difference and they know sound. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is always subjective. Talk to Alex Claber at Barefaced.

I nearly always use a 2nd Gen Super12T these days which is a great cab. I also did a direct comparison between the Gen 3 Super Twin and Gen 3 Big Twin at the Barefaced premises a couple of years ago.. The Super Twin was superb and perfect for all the gigs I ever do, but that said I reckon the Big Twin was the best bass cab I've ever heard. 

• Like 1