Why become a member? ×

Precision scratchplate/pickup position switched

NancyJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

I had one made a not too long ago for my p bass by Tim at Gig.ink no frills and does the job. 
It should be on file as reverse p pick guard if you wanna get in touch with him. If you need more details give me a pm!

C09F9CAC-DDA8-45AB-8D56-0B11587FE819.jpeg

The Gigink scratchplates are cheap and very basic. If you're happy with that, then go ahead. No ply, no bevels... just a straight-edged piece of plastic. If you get a design, like pearloid for example, it's clear plastic with the design printed on the back. Probably all right from a distance but too nasty to put on my fave bass.

Yes, GigInk's plates are "no frills" regarding ply & bevelled edges etc., but what they do offer is a custom plate, any artwork etc., etc.

Had a few TRC's & 'plates off them for various RickenFaker's, and would be the first port of call for anything like that. Tim's a sound bloke.

He'll email a 'plate template to you in A4 PDF format, print it out at 100%, check your sizes/requirements etc., scan & email it back. A few days later, you'll get a scratchplate back to your design.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

I'm going to be in the market for a 'tweaked' plate soon. I may well end up going with gig.ink but I can't help thinking that I'll kick myself for not going for somewhere with a wider range of material options and a bevelled edge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2020 at 00:37, Deedee said:

I'm going to be in the market for a 'tweaked' plate soon. I may well end up going with gig.ink but I can't help thinking that I'll kick myself for not going for somewhere with a wider range of material options and a bevelled edge.

Get a dremel out, router, knife or a sand paper and bevel the edge - or get a sheet and have a go?

Cutting the outline is pretty easy if you have a jigsaw, however, I always found doing the pickup hole to be fraught with wonky lines if you use a Dremel.

A big hole away from the lines to get a jigsaw in, then take your time with a file & sandpaper.

On 13/07/2020 at 20:12, Thunderbird said:

Is gigink the same company as scratch it run by TimAl of this parish 

I believe it is the very same fellow.

13 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Get a dremel out, router, knife or a sand paper and bevel the edge - or get a sheet and have a go?

No chance. I'm too picky and it would have cost me hundreds of pounds in ruined sheets! 😂

Anyway, I did get a plate from Gig.Ink / Scratch It in the end and I'm very pleased with the result. I'll post some pics in a NBD thread here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/436801-nbd-mike-dirntstatus-content/

Edited by Deedee
Link added
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, it's me fellas - SCRATCH-IT! is the plates 'brand' under the umbrella of GIG.INK just in case it didn't make sense.

Indeed, my plates are no frills to some but I've found the straight edge & single ply really makes your chosen image sing & the range of designs is quite literally limitless; plus of course the chaps at Jack's & Sims can offer traditional multi-ply masterpieces so horses for courses . . .

• Like 1