Why become a member? ×

Revelation RBJ-67

ClassicVibes

10 minutes ago, Chewie said:

I played one of these in a local music shop and man, it was so nice to play.....   it was fun too.

I’m thinking about starting my fretless journey with the red version of this......

https://thebassgallery.com/products/revelation-rpb-65-fretless

Go for it. Unlined is far less of a hoohah than you might think.  Top teachers like Scott Devine and Steve Lawson will tell you to only buy lined. But my experience is that if you have half an ear you quickly get used to unlined.  I look at the fingerboard far less than I used to with fretted, amazingly.   Finding the right note only gets a little tricky above the 12th fret, but how often are you going up there? And both slap and chordal work are probably not best served by unlined fretless.  But you gain so much more control, and great tone.  

Edit: if you're buying from the BG, ask them to check that yours has dots in the right note places. For some reason my 12th dots were out by 10mm. 

Edited by lownote12

3 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Go for it. Unlined is far less of a hoohah than you might think.  TBF, top teaches like Scott Devine and Steve Lawson will tell you to only buy lined. My experience is that if you have half an ear you quickly get used to unlined.  I look at the fingerboard far less than I used to with fretted, amazingly.   Finding the right note only gets a little tricky above the 12th fret, but how often are you going up there? And both slap and chordal work are probably not best served by unlined fretless.  But you gain so much more control, and great tone.  

Edit: if you're buying from the BG, ask them to check that yours has dots in the right note places. For some reason my 12th dots were out by 10mm. 

Thank you for this, lownote12.  That is top advice.

I love the look of the unlined neck.

10mm is a lot.....!

I've got an RBJ-67 5-string. Lovely bass for the money, nice woods, great pickups, well finished and decently put together. Good low B too. 

Only criticisms would be that it's kinda heavy (around 10lbs) and the headstock is huge and makes the bass hard to fit into a regular gig bag or case.  

I've added a J-Retro, which makes the already big tone even bigger - it's nice to have a midrange control, but you really don't need much in the way of treble or bass boost with those pickups. 

Edited by Russ

@Chewiethat red is beautiful isn't it? I really like mine (sunburst) but that is lovely.

I think it's a high quality instrument, but I don't search for faults in a bass. If something leaps out at me that's different, otherwise does it sound, look, feel and play nicely? Those are the only questions that matter to me. 

I have basses that cost £1200 and basses that cost £137 and have zero difference in sound, looks and playability. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

@Chewiethat red is beautiful isn't it? I really like mine (sunburst) but that is lovely.

I think it's a high quality instrument, but I don't search for faults in a bass. If something leaps out at me that's different, otherwise does it sound, look, feel and play nicely? Those are the only questions that matter to me. 

I have basses that cost £1200 and basses that cost £137 and have zero difference in sound, looks and playability. 

Totally with you there......

I just tried to buy the red one from the BG but the last one went in the week.

They're gonna call me.

Pretty excited.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chewie said:

Totally with you there......

I just tried to buy the red one from the BG but the last one went in the week.

They're gonna call me.

Pretty excited.

Sound clips , pictues and a four page review please!

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 10:53, Chewie said:

I played one of these in a local music shop and man, it was so nice to play.....   it was fun too.

I’m thinking about starting my fretless journey with the red version of this......

https://thebassgallery.com/products/revelation-rpb-65-fretless

Personally I fancy a Fretless but think i'd go with the Vintage Icon Fretless just like the look of them....if one comes up at the right price could be tempted.

I had this short scale Revelation EB-3 for a while. Really nice bass and it sounded huge!  I added the bridge cover.

I know it's not a Jazz bass but It shows the quality of the instruments nicely!

DSC00947.JPG

Edited by Bleat
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/06/2020 at 08:14, lownote12 said:

I have the fretless P bass, one of just three go to basses I've had in the 40+ I've owned. £199 new is crazy value for money: IMHO they considerably exceed Squier for quality, and the Entwhistle pups are excellent. One of their main dealers is the Bass Gallery in London, one of the UK's most respected top end bass shops and luthiers, which must say something. 

107296220190625_174054.jpg

Hi! 

Nice bass! 

I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these. 

Could you please tell me if it has fret markers, where the frets should be? 

Could you take a picture of the top of neck, where the dots and markers are? 

Thanks! 

The markers are on the note, and you only get the main markers - 'frets' 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, etc.  Check your markers against a good tuner: for some reason my 12th marker(s) was out by a centimetre, although the others were all accurate.  I had this checked by Bass Gallery who expertly 'moved' the markers by drilling and filling. I would also factor in fitting a KiOgon solder-less loom, which massively upgrades the wiring. 

_72A2567.JPG

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

The markers are on the note, and you only get the main markers - 'frets' 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, etc.  Check your markers against a good tuner: for some reason my 12th marker(s) was out by a centimetre, although the others were all accurate.  I had this checked by Bass Gallery who expertly 'moved' the markers by drilling and filling. I would also factor in fitting a KiOgon solder-less loom, which massively upgrades the wiring. 

_72A2567.JPG

Thank you, that was very helpful! 

Often the problem with cheap basses, no matter how well they play. I remember 10-15 years ago that there was a range of Far Eastern basses under the Jackson brand that were really good value and excellent to play so long as you held them up with a forklift ...