Why become a member? ×

Revelation RBJ-67

ClassicVibes

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I wasn't even aware of this company but for the price, the spec looks amazing!

Would love to have a go on one of these basses soon.

UK company also?

I hadn't heard of them until one popped up for sale here. Very nice instrument. 

I have the fretless P bass, one of just three go to basses I've had in the 40+ I've owned. £199 new is crazy value for money: IMHO they considerably exceed Squier for quality, and the Entwhistle pups are excellent. One of their main dealers is the Bass Gallery in London, one of the UK's most respected top end bass shops and luthiers, which must say something. 

107296220190625_174054.jpg

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

I have the fretless P bass, one of just three go to basses I've had in the 40+ I've owned. £199 new is crazy value for money: IMHO they considerably exceed Squier for quality, and the Entwhistle pups are excellent. One of their main dealers is the Bass Gallery in London, one of the UK's most respected top end bass shops and luthiers, which must say something. 

How are the pickups? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Neodymium pickups.

20 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

How are the pickups? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Neodymium pickups.

Strong and hot, without losing their Pbaciousness. I use it in blues jams, and its extraordinary how the bass's tone slots right into the mix.  HOWEVER, I should say I added a KiOgon loom from the off, so I can't speak for the quality of the OEM electronics. It's also not a small bass.  The neck is old school baseball bat and the body is larger than I'm totally comfortable with as a short, fat, little old man.  But the build quality is what impresses me for the price.  Not just for the price, in its own right.  Sometimes with a cheap bass you go 'OKaayyyy... but I can live with that for the price' ( I even did that with my first Sire), but I never felt that need to qualify my regard for the Rev. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Strong and hot, without losing their Pbaciousness. I use it in blues jams, and its extraordinary how the bass's tone slots right into the mix.  HOWEVER, I should say I added a KiOgon loom from the off, so I can't speak for the quality of the OEM electronics. It's also not a small bass.  The neck is old school baseball bat and the body is larger than I'm totally comfortable with as a short, fat, little old man.  But the build quality is what impresses me for the price.  Not just for the price, in its own right.  Sometimes with a cheap bass you go 'OKaayyyy... but I can live with that for the price' ( I even did that with my first Sire), but I never felt that need to qualify my regard for the Rev. 

How about the hardware - Bridge, machine heads etc?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these!

Edited by ClassicVibes

I swapped out the fairly flimsy bridge for a Wilkinson bbot with brass saddles on my red RBP. Thought Id swap the tuners too but they are very robust and hold pitch fine. Overall, it looks good, feels good and by golly it sounds great too, especially with flats!!!

3 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Oof - that's a lovely combo - fretless, creamy, reddy pguard.

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

That was a cracking bass,don't normally care much after I sell a bass. Regret selling that one 😞

R3Xw8cFm.jpg

This intrigues me. Jazz body with double P pups? Do you recall what the neck was like? I love the solid big chunky neck on my Revelation P but jazz necks are a bit too flimsy for me. 

23 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I wasn't even aware of this company but for the price, the spec looks amazing!

Would love to have a go on one of these basses soon.

UK company also?

Bought one a year or so ago can't complain at the price but took scratch plate off and as so often with cheap instruments hides a multitude of sins.....great big routing for the neck p/u.....put me off straight away....but for summat cheap and cheerful I suppose you could do worse.

3 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Bought one a year or so ago can't complain at the price but took scratch plate off and as so often with cheap instruments hides a multitude of sins.....great big routing for the neck p/u.....put me off straight away....but for summat cheap and cheerful I suppose you could do worse.

Fender Mexican basses have the routing and they are certainly not cheap and cheerful. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

This intrigues me. Jazz body with double P pups? Do you recall what the neck was like? I love the solid big chunky neck on my Revelation P but jazz necks are a bit too flimsy for me. 

I got lucky. Mine was the wide P-bass neck.

Couple of folk buying after me got landed with slim jazz type necks, QC problem I heard.

Np idea if it was resolved.

• Thanks 1

Just now, kodiakblair said:

I got lucky. Mine was the wide P-bass neck.

Couple of folk buying after me got landed with slim jazz type necks, QC problem I heard.

Np idea if it was resolved.

Interesting. I found the specs for the Bass Centre and it states 42mm nut width, so that's encouraging assuming it's correct. They don't have any right now though. Did you flog yours on here? 

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Naw. Some guitar teacher in Edinburgh bought it for a student.

Useful to have about the house I suppose, if you can get them to do the washing up and stuff. But if it had been me I'd have just as soon kept the bass. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Due diligence, yeah,  I haven’t seen rougher routing since my brief excursion into Harley Benton. Real raggedy Jane. And I had to have the 12th fret side dots moved because they were a centimetre out. But you get what you get. I’ve owned much worse for more money. 

Edited by lownote12

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Due diligence, yeah,  I haven’t seen rougher routing since my brief excursion into Harley Benton. Real raggedy Jane. And I had to have the 12th fret side dots moved because they were a centimetre out. But you get what you get. I’ve owned much worse for more money. 

Well... it's a £200 instrument. A lot of cheaper Jazz copies have the pickup routing. Has said earlier, MIM Fenders have the same route and they cost three times the price.

I would say these basses are more for upgrading at a later date anyway, especially if you're only interested in the Jazz body and neodymium pickups. 

On 11/06/2020 at 08:14, lownote12 said:

I played one of these in a local music shop and man, it was so nice to play.....   it was fun too.

I’m thinking about starting my fretless journey with the red version of this......

https://thebassgallery.com/products/revelation-rpb-65-fretless

• Like 2