Why become a member? ×

What's that thing on top of Paul Turner's amp?

Undertone

Hello.

Sorry as I' sure this will be old for most of you (the photo is certainly old), but can anyone tell me what that thing is on top of Paul Turner's DB 751 in the photo please?

I've seen it on there at live concerts & concert footage over some years in the past but don't know exactly what it is.

Many thanks

big_paul_turner.jpg

It's a valve DI made by Ridge Farm recording studio, going by the wonderful name of the 'Gas Cooker'.

There were two versions, the one in the picture is the older, light blue version, and there was a second one in a darker blue. I don't think the studio exists any more, but there's still info online about the DI. They are rather pricey now it seems, but it is a phenomenally good DI/valve preamp.

I had one for many years, sold it here if memory serves me well.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I once spent a week at Ridge Farm recording 2 singles with Dave Allen (Cure producer) back in 1999.  Great studio.

Craig Blundell (Steve Wilson) was the drummer.  Think he did his parts on the first morning and I knocked the bass tracks out after lunch in about an hour or so.

Spent the rest of the time alternating between sitting in the control booth and when we got bored we would play tennis and hit golf balls over the trees. 

We got the singer drunk and bet him a fiver to eat some dog food. £5 well spent.

One of my favourite weeks.

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Haha 1