Why become a member? ×

Favourite 'other instrument' solos

Rich

Shamelessly stolen from a post on Thomann's farcebook page... 

Your favourite non-guitar, non-bass solos. Sax, piano, drums, whatever. Just not guitar or bass. 

One of mine for starters... the late Kenny Kirkland’s brilliant piano solo on Sting’s live version of ‘When The World Is Running Down’, from the Bring On The Night album. Three minutes of ivory-tinkling fabulousness.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

• Rich changed the title to Favourite 'other instrument' solos

I always liked Charlie Gillingham's Hammond-plus-pile-of-effects solo in this live version of Counting Crows' "Ghost Train":

His playing on that album was definitely responsible for getting me interested in keyboard playing again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikel said:

The sax solo on "Will you" by Hazel O'Connor. Heartbreaking in its beauty. Dont listen if you have had a few and feel a bit sad.

I was going to suggest that as, strangely it was on the radio in the car as I got home earlier, I waited in the car for it to finish. Then I came in and saw this thread. 

Also love the sax all in Boomtown Rats' Rat Trap. The solo's great but the sax all the way through makes that song. 

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

I was going to suggest that as, strangely it was on the radio in the car as I got home earlier, I waited in the car for it to finish. Then I came in and saw this thread. 

Also love the sax all in Boomtown Rats' Rat Trap. The solo's great but the sax all the way through makes that song. 

Then there’s Love And Affection. Joan Armatrading’s drummer has to double on Sax for just that one song!😁

21 minutes ago, mikel said:

The sax solo on "Will you" by Hazel O'Connor. Heartbreaking in its beauty. Dont listen if you have had a few and feel a bit sad.

Was going to say this one, heard it on the radio earlier today, beautiful solo.

The clarinet solo for the first half of Soft Cell's 12" version of Say Hello Wave Goodbye is beautiful. I love the song anyway but that solo is sublime. 

Edited by Maude
Got my woodwinds confudled up.
  • Like 1

Many possible choices,, but a favourite of mine since the LP first came out is the Herbie Hancock keys solo on Simple Minds "Hunter and the Hunted" (album: New Gold Dream).  As with all great solos; a beautiful use of space.

• Like 1

Well, here's two memorable guitar solos - completely different.

The first is edging towards chaos theory - it's Jon Poole's solo on Cardiacs 'Fiery Gun Hand'  Starts at 3.20

The second is Jay Graydons very carefully constructed solo on Manhattan Transfer's 'Twilight Zone'  Starts at  2.35

(By the way, Jay Graydon also played the solo on Steely Dan's 'Peg')

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Well, here's two memorable guitar solos

Ahem.

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Your favourite non-guitar, non-bass solos. Sax, piano, drums, whatever. Just not guitar or bass. 

;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

Interesting bit of trivia about this song -

When the band performed the song on Top of the Pops (which is also mentioned in the song) as the UK new number one, the band members began by tearing up pictures of Travolta and Newton-John to emphasise the fact that the pair - who had spent a total of 16 weeks out of the preceding 22 at the top of the charts - had been deposed. Geldof mimed the saxophone part on a candelabra, a jest he explained in his autobiography Is That It?: "The Musicians' Union had forbidden me to play saxophone on the video, as obviously I hadn't done so on the record. But I saw a candelabra on the piano at the shoot and I put a mouthpiece in the central candle holder and played it. The impact of video came home when during the next few British gigs kids pulled out candelabras from nowhere and began playing them during the sax solo in 'Rat Trap'".[6]

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for a bit of bluesy harmonica plus some tasteful shred. Here's a tasty bit of blues harp from Joe Satriani on Big Bad Moon at 2.14. As an aside also some nifty slide guitar .

Back from around the same time I was also well into piano led house music (sad old ageing raver that i am). Here's a classic from back in the day. Not a solo as such but the piano is throughout.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Oh - so many good solos out there but my current faves are both sax solos

Steven Marcus' solo (starts at 2' 30") is a bit tasty

AND

Richard Elliot's sax playing .................. - pick the bones out of that.

• Like 1