Why become a member? ×

One bass? Is it possible?

Crawford13

On 10/06/2020 at 10:59, Crawford13 said:

With all this lock down malarkey, it's got me thinking. Could I live with just one bass? I currently have 5 and recently I have been trying to convince myself I only need one. 

Has anyone managed to cull a collection down to just one bass? 

I've just the one

My wife plays oboe in our local orchestra.  She has two oboes.  One is the student model she learned on and it took her through music college but then she bought a 'pre-owned' better model that she has used for longer than we have been married (28 years).  Most of the other orchestra members have violins, cellos, trumpets etc that they have used for decades. Is it only bass/guitar players that feel the need to constantly acquire more instruments?

I can understand a gigging bass player having a couple of back-up instruments, for those occasions where the local drunk falls over and snaps the neck of your main instrument, but for most of us 'one and a spare' would seem to be enough.  Of course, you can never have enough!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

My wife plays oboe in our local orchestra.  She has two oboes.  One is the student model she learned on and it took her through music college but then she bought a 'pre-owned' better model that she has used for longer than we have been married (28 years).  Most of the other orchestra members have violins, cellos, trumpets etc that they have used for decades. Is it only bass/guitar players that feel the need to constantly acquire more instruments?

I can understand a gigging bass player having a couple of back-up instruments, for those occasions where the local drunk falls over and snaps the neck of your main instrument, but for most of us 'one and a spare' would seem to be enough.  Of course, you can never have enough!

Cheapest electric bass on Thomann = £89

Cheapest Oboe on Thomann = £1390

(though I do agree with the sentiment)

I currently have a pair of Thunderbirds (one USA as a main, one Epi Pro thru-neck as a backup) for gigs and could quite happily stick to those two.  I have a Bass Collection that is currently on loan to our guitarist, and a Steinberger Spirit for home use.  It will also likely get used in an acoustic trio I also play in as, well, the T'birds make a bit of a 'raaaaaawwwwwwwk' statement!

The reality is though I could probably be happy with the pair of T'birds - I love the way that the neck feels, they are far more versatile than you think with judicious use of amp tones, after years of playing a Les Paul in bands I can play a T'bird for hour after hour live, and they're just cool!

So - can you live with one bass...?  If you're a gigging musician then you'd have to question the risk factor of not taking a spare, but otherwise I'd say yes.

Edited by DaytonaRik