Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF-50t rattle

bassist_lewis

Hi there BCers

I just took delivery of the PF-50t today, an amp I've lusted after for years. I plugged it in and I love the sound of it, and it seems like it'll be plenty loud enough for any of my gigs. However, it's got a weird, rattle or resonance or static or interference or something when I play a C. It's very quiet, I have to listen for it. I've set the bias according to the manual, and I've plugged both the DIs into my laptop and they're absolutely silent (this implies to me that the tubes are fine but I don't know anything about electronics). Aside from big scary problems like faulty tubes, the only thing I can think of is that I was using a regular instrument cable to connect it to the cab (I've ordered a proper speakon-jack cable).

Anyone more knowledgable than me know what's going on?

It'll still be in warranty and I have another amp, so sending it back isn't a huge deal, but I'd rather not go through the hassle if I don't have to!

Does it come through the speakers or is it heard acoustically from the amp? On my PF50T the phase inverter valve was microphonic, and replacing it helped considerably. You can test for microphonic valves by gently tapping them on the glass with something non conductive and listening for a ring through the speakers. On the PF50T you can do this with a wooden cocktail stick through the cage without removing anything.

4 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Does it come through the speakers or is it heard acoustically from the amp? On my PF50T the phase inverter valve was microphonic, and replacing it helped considerably. You can test for microphonic valves by gently tapping them on the glass with something non conductive and listening for a ring through the speakers. On the PF50T you can do this with a wooden cocktail stick through the cage without removing anything.

Its coming through the speaker. I'm waiting til the cable arrives (hopefully today) in case its anything to do with that, but I'll try that first if it continues. As I said in the OP, when DI'd there's no interference/static.

12 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Are there spring retainers on the power valves? I've never known those buggers not to add some mechanical 'zing' to proceedings.

Otherwise, tightening every screw you can find may help, and I vaguely recall that the cage over the power valves can benefit from something to isolate it from the chassis to prevent rattles- draught strip or somesuch.

can anything be done about it if it is that? I've looked and I think there's springs in the housings of the preamp valves.

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Only just seen this thread. I initially had the same problem with mine when it first came out. I did a LOT of investigation and it was the valves. I have had no problems since and it's been years, so I suspect they'll sort it no worries.

I did get a little obsessed with valve shopping yesterday so part of me now just wants to buy fancy ones and replace them myself!

The stock tubes are Ruby, which are apparently re-branded Shuguang valves from China. A valve savvy friend said to avoid the Chinese ones. Don't know if anyone agrees or knows better?

There are mixed opinions on the different valves available, and their performance varies between amps (some amps are more prone to microphonics than others, some have circuit designs that cause reliability issues with certain valves etc). Not all valves from the same factory are tested and screened to the same extent either. Some say the Shuguang valves are fine if you buy them from a seller who tests them.

But I do feel that the stock valves with the PF50T are not great. I had my power valves replaced within a couple of weeks under warranty, and not long afterwards switched to a NOS Philips ECC82 in V3 which reduced the microphonic sounds considerably.

On 12/06/2020 at 08:29, bassist_lewis said:

I did get a little obsessed with valve shopping yesterday so part of me now just wants to buy fancy ones and replace them myself!

The stock tubes are Ruby, which are apparently re-branded Shuguang valves from China. A valve savvy friend said to avoid the Chinese ones. Don't know if anyone agrees or knows better?

There are lots of good valves to buy  for the Ampeg    buy from  those who test them