Why become a member? ×

NVSBBD!

meterman

Okay, so I didn't expect to find one of these so soon but thanks to @gareth it's New Vintage Squier Bullet Bass Day!

I used to have a USA Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe which, although a bit niche, was a great bass to play and was on some great records. When I had to sell it I was gutted, but on this forum I managed to score a MIJ Squier Bullet Bass. Which is even more niche, but I'm into the niche gear.

So this little oddball beauty arrived this afternoon. I tore into the package and unwrapped it, and... it's blowing me away! I'm fully aware that most folks wouldn't have these on their radar because why would they? Who's gonna get excited by the combination of a cut-down Precision body with Mustang pickups and a fat AF Tele bass neck? Well, me. Yeah, I'm that weirdo :) 

First impressions: much lighter than my old USA Bullet bass but still feels super solid. The neck is a dead ringer for the USA Bullet neck and feels the same as my old one. Win! 👍  The tug bar is on the wrong side of the strings for me 'cause I pluck with the side of my thumb, but that's an easy move. Overall, I'm getting a great vibe off this already.

Straight away I had to take off the roundwound strings and get some flats on there. Thought I'd experiment with a set of Fender 45-100 flats, they only cost me £14 so why not? Seemingly within a few minutes the stiffer string tension and higher action that I'm used to was there. Plugged it into the only amp I have (1970s Fender Vibro Champ) and started playing some Afrobeat and dub basslines. Lost a couple of hours, easy. Bonded with it instantly. Properly enjoyed meself. I'm looking forward to recording with it and eventually gigging it. Absolutely chuffed with it.

So, big thanks to Gareth for hooking me up with this one, I flipping love it. Great bass + nice price + pro packaging + hassle free delivery = happy Meterman. Cheers Gareth 🙏

image00001.thumb.jpeg.aef894f749419b21c19839ce9d24e998.jpeg

image00002.thumb.jpeg.adc472195c2ea65fcb40b401f3fbe635.jpeg

image00005.thumb.jpeg.be6415439fcd32bf3d728e596df64fa8.jpeg

image00004.thumb.jpeg.d347f146d5788da46db147f43d6620d5.jpeg

image00003.thumb.jpeg.78977f9270ad5b04f619f961bc5da70c.jpeg

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

That is a very neat/sleek looking instrument.  Me likely.  I wonder what it would look like with a black scratchplate?!

Great minds, etc! 😎 I'm going to get one made, so when I've got it I'll share a pic or two.

I'll need to get some black Mustang pickup covers as well...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Got the black plate yet?

Sorry Pea, no :(

I've had no income for 5 months, no benefits, nothing at all. I just haven't been able to fritter £30 + P&P away on a replacement plate. I will do though, and I'll spam this thread with pics when I do, I promise 👍

• Like 1

Just now, meterman said:

Thanks man, I realise it's only a humble Squier but to me it's the absolute business.

I wish I could have found a blonde one like my original Fender Bullet (see pic), and the tug bar needs moving underneath the G, but otherwise I'm loving it. I've recorded a bit with it during lockdown and I heard today that it'll be on vinyl in a couple of months. Proof that it doesn't always have to be fancy gear to do the job. 

I would have loved a blonde one again tho!

IMG_0094.jpeg

• Like 1