Why become a member? ×

Instruments that you to this day regret parting with!

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Have never tried the Delano’s. What are they like? The best-sounding Seis I’ve tried have had Kent/Aaron Armstrong pickups in them. 

I found the Barts to be a bit woolly, there was some clarity lacking. I had EMG-TWs in the Shuker for some years but was a bit disappointed with their 'coil tap' mode, so I swapped them out for quad-coil Delanos and for me they are far superior. They've got the crisp clarity of the EMGs but there's none of the - how to put it - slight 'electronicness' that the EMG tone had. Hard to describe.

I've got precisely 0.00 hours on Armstrong pickups, so I can't offer any comparison there.

My Wilson Bass, I played it a good part of the 70s, sold it and the case for £100 to get a Music man that now hangs on the wall, it's too heavy, but I wish I had the Wilson now as they fetch quite a few bucks.🤑

Wilson Bass.jpg

Edited by whamni
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I found the Barts to be a bit woolly, there was some clarity lacking. I had EMG-TWs in the Shuker for some years but was a bit disappointed with their 'coil tap' mode, so I swapped them out for quad-coil Delanos and for me they are far superior. They've got the crisp clarity of the EMGs but there's none of the - how to put it - slight 'electronicness' that the EMG tone had. Hard to describe.

I've got precisely 0.00 hours on Armstrong pickups, so I can't offer any comparison there.

Yeah, I’ve always found the same with Barts. I’m used to a very crisp, dynamic tone and they just aren’t. I’ve always much preferred EMGs to Barts. The KAs I’ve used on Seis sound great, and of course AA winds pickups for ACG and GB, amongst others. 

Thats interesting about the Delano’s. May have to try some one day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whamni said:

My Wilson Bass, I played it a good part of the 70s, sold it and the case for £100 to get a Music man that now hangs on the wall, it's too heavy, but I wish I had the Wilson now as they fetch quite a few bucks.🤑

Wilson Bass.jpg

That’s really nice, I like that 👍

Regrets, yeah i've had a few, but too few to mention.

Namely...

My fab Peavey C4 NT  ...owned around 2012

My fab  Peavey burgundy Sarzo NT  ...owned around 2006

My fab Ovation Magnum lll  ...owned around 2010

My  scumbag Jazz bitsa  ... owned around  2011

My fab De Armond Pilot Deluxe 35"  natural  ..owned around  2007

C4 bass.jpg

PVC4a.jpg

Psarzo2.jpg

Psarzo1.jpg

MyMag3a.jpg

Jazz scum3.jpg

DeArmond Pilot DLX.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a new red Kubicki X-Factor in 1991 for $1200.   Traded it for $500 credit towards a Japanese Fender Jazz reissue around 1999.  The Kubicki tone was not versatile enough (didn't cut through nearly the way the Fenders did) plus the look didn't suit me and I wanted to move to a more classic vibe.  I still play that Jazz regularly... it's a fabulous instrument that I'll be buried with... but I should have paid cash and not traded the Kubicki.  They sell for $3000 now and it would be fun to have that sound back sometimes for things like new wave covers.  Oh well!!

Around 2012 I bought a NOS Warwick Pro Series Indo 5 String Star Bass in Gold ( I did debate between that and the Pelham Blue one) but traded it after I joined an Americana Band and got an Ibanez Artcore 5er in 2016. Always missed the Warwick tone  and the Artcore had a very woolly B (32" scale). After a clear out a couple of weeks ago, I bought a 4 String Pro Series Indo Star Bass in Flamed Maple Burst and am very happy.

This is a subject that comes to my mind at least once a week or so.

In the mid 70s I wish I hadn't sold:
'70' P (white)
71 Strat (white, mn)

'86
Squier sunburst, mn JV Precision (traded it in for and early '73 4001 which I still have)

What I kick myself hard for every time I think about it!!  In the 70s I played guitar in a band with a guy who had plenty of money and liked his guitars (a succesful speedway rider).  I was a teenager without lots of money but I had decent gear.  He used to lend me his red  '66 Strat long-term to gig with him .  He offered to sell it to me for £200 (I could have afforded it) but no, idiot me thinks ... Imight as well buy a new one for that much!!!  Arrrghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and the early 70s Marshall 50 head! 😞

On 13/06/2020 at 05:25, SirMoxie said:

I bought a new red Kubicki X-Factor in 1991 for $1200.   Traded it for $500 credit towards a Japanese Fender Jazz reissue around 1999.  The Kubicki tone was not versatile enough (didn't cut through nearly the way the Fenders did) plus the look didn't suit me and I wanted to move to a more classic vibe.  I still play that Jazz regularly... it's a fabulous instrument that I'll be buried with... but I should have paid cash and not traded the Kubicki.  They sell for $3000 now and it would be fun to have that sound back sometimes for things like new wave covers.  Oh well!!

I always fancied a Kubicki X-Factor and was reminded of this when I saw Little Feat in Atlanta years ago. Kenny Gradney was playing one and I have to say it sounded pretty good to me. :)