Why become a member? ×

You gonna do brightside mate?

sbrag

29 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I've been asked ; "Do you know any Girls Aloud?" by drunk women. The band was five 40-something men ffs.

The answer is "No but we can do Under the Bridge properly"

oops, just realised it was All Saints

Edited by Nicko

34 minutes ago, louisthebass said:

"Do you do any ABBA?" (bit difficult if all the band members are male...) 😄

29 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I've been asked ; "Do you know any Girls Aloud?" by drunk women. The band was five 40-something men ffs.

Yep to both. Band is 2 30s, 1 40s, 1 50s male.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I see no problem with that. 🙂

One of my bands is four blokes and a woman, I'm the youngest at 47 and the rest are ten years or more older, we do 'Love Machine' by Girls Aloud and it goes down a storm. We also do a few other 'girly pop' songs. Admittidly the woman is our singer but she sings loads of songs that are written from a male point of view without worry, we even do I Kissed A Girl with its bi-curious lyrics. 

I like to have a bit of fun, it's all just music after all. 🙂

Back on topic of comments I don't miss, in the band mentioned above I solely play doublebass and, as mentioned by @Silvia Bluejayearlier, "That's a big cello", or "How are you going to get that violin under your chin?" gets tiring pretty quick, but they're only having fun and I'm gigging so it's all good. 

• Like 2

When I used to gig regularly with my NS Design NXT5 EUB, I used to love listening to the "What the f**k is that?" comments from the crowd while setting it up.  I was always surprised that I would get a lot of bass players come up at the end and ask about it but would always back away if I asked if they wanted a shot on it as though it was some scary beast that might kill them.

34 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I'm guessing a wedding/function band?

haha - no, far from it!

33 minutes ago, Maude said:

One of my bands is four blokes and a woman, I'm the youngest at 47 and the rest are ten years or more older, we do 'Love Machine' by Girls Aloud and it goes down a storm. We also do a few other 'girly pop' songs. Admittidly the woman is our singer but she sings loads of songs that are written from a male point of view without worry, we even do I Kissed A Girl with its bi-curious lyrics. 

It is. We do love machine, does your mother know, who knew (by p!nk), Poker Face (lady gaga), Timber (Pitbull/Ke$ha).

It is, as you say, all music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huge Hands said:

When I used to gig regularly with my NS Design NXT5 EUB, I used to love listening to the "What the f**k is that?" comments from the crowd while setting it up.  I was always surprised that I would get a lot of bass players come up at the end and ask about it but would always back away if I asked if they wanted a shot on it as though it was some scary beast that might kill them.

Reminds me of when I had my BFM cab. I heard one punter nearby saying "That looks like it should be on a spaceship!"

I miss the argument, will you play such and such? We don’t know it mate, yeah you do, I saw you playing it in here last week. We weren’t playing here last week mate, yes you were etc. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I see no problem with that. 🙂

Wasn't a value judgement on Girls Aloud BTW - it was just a spectacularly unlikely and implausible song to ask that particular band for, given the singer was a 6ft growly Northern Irish lad with a banjo.

I don't mind singing female songs in my own sets, but its gotta be something that works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maude said:

"That's a big cello", or "How are you going to get that violin under your chin?" gets tiring pretty quick, but they're only having fun and I'm gigging so it's all good. 

It's definitely funny the first 400 times you hear it though, right??

'Bet you wish you'd taken up the flute!' is another staple that makes my blood boil (have you ever heard a flute? Hands down the worst sounding instrument available)

• Haha 2