Why become a member? ×

Singularsound, (Beatbuddy).

grandad

Wifey got me a beat buddy mini 2 for Christmas and I use it quite a lot for practice.  The drum sets used are real and there is a bit of swing in them, not like a full on paralytic drummer but a lot more natural than a standard drum machine.

If you are good with all that Midi computer stuff you might appreciate the more expensive model, which you can download different drum sets to, like 'John Bonham' for instance.  I just wanted a drum machine in a pedal form and I have no idea what 'Midi syncing' is.

I have just ordered the TC Electronic Ditto X2 jam looper.  According to one long thread on the Singular Sound forum, this works with the Beat Buddy, without being Midi synced.  Andertons will deliver this on Friday and I'll let you know how I get on.  Apparently you can loop your bass or guitar in time with a Beat Buddy drum track without having to step on the pedal exactly at the right moment, the X2 jam looper can keep in time by itself, or with a little assistance from you.

• Like 3

Just getting to know my mini2. The appeal for me is the simplicity with just 1 switch and 2 knobs. I'm considering getting the Footswitch+ .

I agree, the sounds seem quite natural. I've switched off the intro's.

• Like 1

I use a Beat Buddy for rehearsals when our drummer doesn't come, and also for smaller gigs where there isn't enough stage for a full kit.  I'd go as far as to say, that was the best £250 I ever spent.  Awesome idea, and it gets better the more you get used to using it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garyt said:

I use a Beat Buddy for rehearsals when our drummer doesn't come, and also for smaller gigs where there isn't enough stage for a full kit.  I'd go as far as to say, that was the best £250 I ever spent.  Awesome idea, and it gets better the more you get used to using it.  

Have you got the standard one or the mini?

On 12 June 2020 at 00:09, BillyBass said:

Have you got the standard one or the mini?

I have the standard one and added the footswitch.  The footswitch is a really neat addition as you can start / stop songs instantly, move on to the next sing without bending down, and randomly add accents.  

If you can get the Beat Buddy going through a good PA, it sounds incredible.  It's tight as a gnats chuff, and it doesn't need a cut of the pay. 

• Like 2

On 11 June 2020 at 05:49, grandad said:

Just getting to know my mini2. The appeal for me is the simplicity with just 1 switch and 2 knobs. I'm considering getting the Footswitch+ .

I agree, the sounds seem quite natural. I've switched off the intro's.

For live gigs,. I've just changed all the intros to a click, hi-hat or kick drum, or a 1/2 bar intro.  It mixes things up so it doesn't sound too repetitive, but still ensures the band have a reference.  Then if it starts with a solo instrument, I either keep the tempo going with a hi-hat or similar, or just go for a stop/start with the footswitch.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, garyt said:

It's tight as a gnats chuff, and it doesn't need a cut of the pay. 

So your Beat Buddy will have already paid for itself by now then!

6 hours ago, garyt said:

For live gigs,. I've just changed all the intros to a click, hi-hat or kick drum, or a 1/2 bar intro.  It mixes things up so it doesn't sound too repetitive, but still ensures the band have a reference.  Then if it starts with a solo instrument, I either keep the tempo going with a hi-hat or similar, or just go for a stop/start with the footswitch.  

Like @grandad above, you are not helping my GAS here.  

I've just received a TC Electronic Ditto X2 Jam looper.  It seems to work well with the Beat Buddy.  I have only just started to tinker with it but if you loop a chord sequence and then play the loop with the Beat Buddy on, it will alter its timing to fit in with the Beat Buddy.  This could be a great pairing.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys watch the movie 'War Dogs' with Jonah Hill and Miles Teller? 

Miles Teller (the guy from Whiplash) plays am arms dealer called David Packouz. Post international-arms-dealing, David Packouz went on to invent create SingularSound. Seriously!

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

Did you guys watch the movie 'War Dogs' with Jonah Hill and Miles Teller? 

Miles Teller (the guy from Whiplash) plays am arms dealer called David Packouz. Post international-arms-dealing, David Packouz went on to invent create SingularSound. Seriously!

That is not only true but astounding, not sure I want to use mine any more!

32 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That is not only true but astounding, not sure I want to use mine any more!

I was watching the movie and Packouz has a cameo at the beginning, performing in a retirement home with the Beat Buddy. I did some digging!

Edited by DanOwens

A quick search on Wikipedia reveals this all to be true.  He flogged Chinese bullets to the Afghan army, contrary to US law, got nicked and did 7 months house arrest.

He now supports a charity called 'Guitars over guns' that donates musical equipment to disadvantaged kids, so maybe he is feeling a little guilty about his past.

• 1 month later...

I've purchased a Beatbuddy from Beedster and am comparing with my mini. To be honest I don't know whether I have the time or inclination to fully use all the options it offers above the mini. I may well end up moving it on and just carry on figuring out which beat on the mini suits the particular song I'm noodling with at the time.

I'm certainly learning a lot about patterns and beats. Previously I've just locked in with the drummer which I've always found easy to do without necessarily really knowing the time or name of the beat pattern.

So I'm finding it a good learning tool but the idea of designing my own drum score from scratch with the Singular sound software is a bit daunting. I expect some of the younger guys here with a quicker mind might be much better at such.

I ordered the Footswitch+ from GAK so am looking forward to using that, for me the pause function will be useful.

Edited by grandad

On 08/08/2020 at 18:07, grandad said:

I've purchased a Beatbuddy from Beedster and am comparing with my mini. To be honest I don't know whether I have the time or inclination to fully use all the options it offers above the mini. I may well end up moving it on and just carry on figuring out which beat on the mini suits the particular song I'm noodling with at the time.

I'm certainly learning a lot about patterns and beats. Previously I've just locked in with the drummer which I've always found easy to do without necessarily really knowing the time or name of the beat pattern.

So I'm finding it a good learning tool but the idea of designing my own drum score from scratch with the Singular sound software is a bit daunting. I expect some of the younger guys here with a quicker mind might be much better at such.

I ordered the Footswitch+ from GAK so am looking forward to using that, for me the pause function will be useful.

Hope it's going well Chris, it's a great piece of kit, I loved being able to simply find a song from one of the pre-set packages and play it straight away, albeit with the flexibility of starts/stops/fills/bridges/middle-8s etc all being triggered by me in response to what the musicians were doing as opposed to being assigned to specific points in time before we started playing (does that make sense), something even our real/human drummer isn't all that great at doing :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Hope it's going well Chris, it's a great piece of kit, I loved being able to simply find a song from one of the pre-set packages and play it straight away, albeit with the flexibility of starts/stops/fills/bridges/middle-8s etc all being triggered by me in response to what the musicians were doing as opposed to being assigned to specific points in time before we started playing (does that make sense), something even our real/human drummer isn't all that great at doing :)

I am enjoying it thanks and may keep both. Great pieces of kit.