Why become a member? ×

NBD: absolute bargain Warwick Star Bass 5 WPS

andruca

Hi all! After a decade craving for one I've finally pulled the trigger on a gorgeous 2011 Star Bass 5 WPS in black (my fave "regular" finish, my absolute fave is the metallic grey with blue racing strips but those only came as a chinese RockBass model and only for a short time). The bass' condition is undistinguishable from one out of a box, virtually new, not the slightest scratch, mark or wear, and it came with a nicely padded gig bag (appropriate for holding it's big body -won't fit in your usual solid body gig bags-). For reference the current chinese RockBass version (which I tried and think is very decent) doesn't come up in ads for less than 700€ used 'round here (Spain). The moment I saw this one for 600€ (handcrafted in Korea, no RockBass) I pulled the trigger. Never been a Warwick fan, not too much into their tones nor playability. But the Star Bass has always been THE exception (sounds nothing like most Warwicks). I also don't care at all for the old Framus Star Bass, hate the tone, the looks, etc.

The neck is bit thicker than I'd like (prefer them skinny A/F) but I was expecting that, it's a price I'm willing to pay. Still 20.7mm thick front to back @ fret 1 according to my caliber, less than 1mm deeper than my Stingray5s depth, still feels substantially beefier due to the round, sorta' D profile I guess (the SR5 profile is a very sharp C, real thin, more like a parethesis). Anyway, easier to get used to that than the "Les Paul mark" I get from resting my forearm when playing sitting (it HURTS, but I'll work it out).

Now the sound on this is simply AWESOME. I starter re-using some Zoom B1X Four patches I usually have for my Stingrays (mostly preamp -either clean or dirty- plus some compression, boosting lows a little) and I ended up going almost bypass as the sound comes "mastered" to the perfect roundness I like with my amp EQ flat. These MEC pickups are astonishing. Timbre is like a very warm fat Jazz Bass, yet sporting delicate and detailed highs, never hissy or clanky even when seriously digging in. Best passive tone I've had. It also has a very curious and INSANE SUSTAIN, the low end keeps pushing for a LONG time, you can feel it exciting the preamp.

Only thing "hollow" about this bass is it's loud when unplugged. Other than that I don't think it'll record nor perform too differently than a solid body Jazz Bass with these pickups on. No microphonics or feedback at all. Setup was easy despite the multiple gadgets. I prefer simple bridges, was skeptical about the 3D bridge, but I really like it. Adjusted spacing to the widest possible setting and it doesn't go any further than 17mm (home enough for me, 17-17.5mm is my zone). And the Just-a-nut III is the nut every bass should come with (I've lowered the nut on probably 80% of basses I've owned, they very often come too high, shouldn't be higher than a fret, I care more about how it ruins playability for me than low register intonation). Seriously considering equipping my Stingray5s with them.

All in all a gorgeous high quality bass that's even suitable for some punk/metal duties if need be (used to do it with an Epiphone Viola I just sold, so, this is definitely going there too).

I'll follow the rules and drop some photos now...

starbass1.jpg

starbass2.jpg

starbass3.jpg

starbass4.jpg

starbass5.jpg

I'll post some samples when I get to record it (still probably not too interesting). Sounds almost exactly like this Andy Irvine vid (this is the current chinese RockBass version pickups are the same)...

Edited by andruca
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks very nice.

I had a Gold -coloured Korean 5 String a few years ago, bought from Thomann when they were selling them off for around £750 and kept it for a couple of years then traded it. Obviously with hindsight being 100% I lusted after another one, but in going back to 4 strings they were far and few between.

After a clear-out of 3 non essential to me Basses a few weeks ago I spotted another Korean  2012 Sunburst  4 string on ebay and got it for a little more than yours. Incidentally there have been a couple in the classifieds here recently but Chinese ones. Note the Chinese 4 strings are 32" scale, the 5's are 34" but the Lee Sklar signature Rockbass is 34". I was tempted but £940 for a Chinese Bass seemed excessive?

I had been watching a lot of Lee Sklar's daily Bass slots and whenever he pulled out his German Custom Star Bass it seemed to sound lush and  my  Korean also does not disappoint. MIne is the same as the one above ( but with 4 strings) and like you I've found it has the sound I've been searching for, since buying a Chowny semi last year (not quite the feel of a Warwick) and a Gretsch Electromatic ( too big a body). The Star feels really well built and I did not realise until you mentioned it above the sideways adjustment in the bridge, I must look into that although I have big hands and it all seems fine. MIne has had a  brass Just-a-nut III added too, not sure how it adjusts but like the string spacing I'm happy with it the way it is. Meant to mention it came with Flats, unsure which brand and my last one was on Flats too.

s-l500.jpg.0674bbc02c9f4a4081942187427f12a3.jpg

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

The flame maple burst would have been my second choice. Not a big fan of burst finishes, except for a few that look "right" to me, and that's definitely one of them.

Big Lee Sklar fan here (and follower, everywhere). His opinion had a lot to do with me turning my head to the Star Bass many years ago. He swore by its versatility. And I can confirm, this bass can do anything, from funky fingerstyle to picked overdriven punk. Fat and juicy.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

STRAP PIN RELOCATION, thought I'd share (also valid for other semi-hollows/hollows).

Even tho' this bass is balanced enough (slightly neck divey, stays horizontal) the neck side pin location (at the joint) plus the arched back make it flip it forward (pickups face down). It takes my left (fretting) hand to exert a twisting force, plus my right forearm to push harder on the binding to keep the bass aligned to a comfortable playing position. This is how it cames stock...

sb_strap_pin_0.jpg

Every single StarBass user complains about this. I know people "solve" this by using a stance with the bass on your right side and fretting hand in front, alla' Jack Cassady...

4760a276da3909ea6e2a7ef9b74df541.jpg

I'm not into that as my constant stance, so after some thinking I decided to relocate the pin to the upper horn. Now that's a hollow horn, laminate being no thicker than 6mm, and there's nothing behind. There's no access to the interior anywhere near the horn, not even the neck pickup, as the solid center block of the body encloses the pickups. So the only access point is the f-hole. After much thinking about blocks of wood to fill the tip of the horn (mostly beyond my skills) it occurred to me that it could be filled with epoxy. First I was thinking a syringe and some tubing thru' the f-hole. Ended up doing it all thru' the pin hole.

First I drilled a small hole (1.5mm bit) in the spot I wanted the pin, then "threaded" it with the pin screw and took it off...

sb_strap_pin_1.jpg

After that I masked the zone with paper tape (just in case of any accidental drip) and turned the bass around, horns pointing down . Then mixed some 2 part epoxy glue, sucked 5ml into a syringe (no needle), injected it thru' the screw hole, then screwed the pin in tightly. I let it rest upside down for half an hour (according to instructions it cures in 5-10min).

sb_strap_pin_2.jpg

sb_strap_pin_3.jpg

I took all the masking tape off, cleaned and voilá...

sb_strap_pin_4.jpg

This is the best shot I could take of the interior (using my mobile and a tiny mirror, all thru' the upper f-hole)...

sb_strap_pin_5.jpg

The clear area in the center is the little "pool" of epoxy that formed inside the tip of the upper horn. You can also see the tip of the screw coming out a couple mm.

I just did a very light test (it's cured, but reaches maximum strength past 24 hours) and "prima facie" it both solves the flipping forward issue and also helps balance, doesn't go horizontal now, tends to stay where you put it. I'll tell for sure once I get to rock it at couple hour rehearsals/gigs. I think this is the easiest, cleanest solution and probably one of the strongest. Apparently many people do this to their Epiphone Jack Cassadys, Gibson 335s and the sort.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I do love a StarBass - I've had both a Korean and a German one - both 5 strings - but now have a couple of Ibanez Artcore AGB205's, but I've seen a Korean StarBass 5 going for sale and can't make my mind up whether I should sell both Artcores and get the StarBass, or let GAS settle and stick with the Ibanez' (unfortunately I can't have both the Ibanez' and the Warwick).

Someone help me decide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 11:41, 6feet7 said:

I do love a StarBass - I've had both a Korean and a German one - both 5 strings - but now have a couple of Ibanez Artcore AGB205's, but I've seen a Korean StarBass 5 going for sale and can't make my mind up whether I should sell both Artcores and get the StarBass, or let GAS settle and stick with the Ibanez' (unfortunately I can't have both the Ibanez' and the Warwick).

Someone help me decide.

I must make clear that the StarBass is the least hollow feeling and sounding of all semi-hollows I've played. It's just the best semi-hollow for those who don't get along too well with the microphonics, the honkiness and lack of articulation. Also it beats all others I've played (the Jack Cassady, some AGB/AFBs, some Eastwood, also played several Hofners and owned an Epiphone Viola) in the bass, punch and sustain dept, if you owned some Star Basses you're probably aware. I'd for sure use the Star Bass for situations where I'd use a semi-hollow, but also for anything else. In fact it's my #1 two pickup 5er these days (my main axes are Stingray5s). This is an example of how my Star Bass records for punk stuff, both in a J mood and in a P mood. Also, for comparison, here's the same track recorded on a Stingray5.

Edited by andruca